s75h

Contact info needed

45 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the proper contact information to talk to someone about removing a flagged visitor visa?

My mother-in-law was scheduled to fly to New York City from the Philippines a few days ago. She had a connecting flight in Saudi Arabia but when she got off the plane she was approached and told immediately that they received an email from JFK airport telling the airlines not to bring her to the United States. The airlines would not tell us what the reason was for denying her entry.  She was stuck at the airport for two days before the airlines finally put her on a flight back to the Philippines and the whole time they did not give her her luggage. Her luggage did not return with her to the Philippines. All of her medicines are in the luggage.

My best guess is that the issue stems from her last visit here two years ago. As a result of Covid shut downs in the spring of 2020 the airlines canceled her flight twice leading to her to overstay by approximately three weeks. A friend of mine talked to a border patrol contact of theirs and they also believe the issue is because of the overstay. The border patrol agent said that In a situation like ours the visa gets flagged in the system and that the flag could be removed by showing proof of the canceled flights  but I am having no luck trying to contact anybody in the United States. The agent suggested talking to the local USCIS office. I also contacted the border patrol JFK airport and they said they do not deal with issues like this and gave me another number to try. When I called that number the guy that answered had no clue what to suggest.

I went to the local USCIS Office but the lady I spoke with didn’t seem very knowledgeable about visitor visas. She was surprised to hear that my mother-in-law has a 10 year visitor visa. Granted, this office doesn’t issue visitor visas and was the office that issued my wife’s green card but I figured she would’ve had a basic knowledge of visitor visa’s. She suggested I contact the department of state. They do not have a number to call so  I emailed them and they replied with a link to information about immigrant visas and issues dealing with United States citizens. I emailed them a second time and I got the same response. On their website it says that the public information phone number is no longer available.

So does anybody have any suggestions on how I should proceed? It would’ve been nice if someone from the government contacted us when her visa got flagged two years ago to warn us. It also would’ve been nice if the airline would’ve stopped her from getting on the plane in the Philippines rather than stop or 12 hours later when she arrived in Saudi Arabia. 

18 minutes ago, s75h said:

As a result of Covid shut downs in the spring of 2020 the airlines canceled her flight twice leading to her to overstay by approximately three weeks.

Did your MIL file an I-539 to extend her status prior to the overstay?

1 hour ago, s75h said:

Does anyone know the proper contact information to talk to someone about removing a flagged visitor visa?

My mother-in-law was scheduled to fly to New York City from the Philippines a few days ago. She had a connecting flight in Saudi Arabia but when she got off the plane she was approached and told immediately that they received an email from JFK airport telling the airlines not to bring her to the United States. The airlines would not tell us what the reason was for denying her entry.  She was stuck at the airport for two days before the airlines finally put her on a flight back to the Philippines and the whole time they did not give her her luggage. Her luggage did not return with her to the Philippines. All of her medicines are in the luggage.

My best guess is that the issue stems from her last visit here two years ago. As a result of Covid shut downs in the spring of 2020 the airlines canceled her flight twice leading to her to overstay by approximately three weeks. A friend of mine talked to a border patrol contact of theirs and they also believe the issue is because of the overstay. The border patrol agent said that In a situation like ours the visa gets flagged in the system and that the flag could be removed by showing proof of the canceled flights  but I am having no luck trying to contact anybody in the United States. The agent suggested talking to the local USCIS office. I also contacted the border patrol JFK airport and they said they do not deal with issues like this and gave me another number to try. When I called that number the guy that answered had no clue what to suggest.

I went to the local USCIS Office but the lady I spoke with didn’t seem very knowledgeable about visitor visas. She was surprised to hear that my mother-in-law has a 10 year visitor visa. Granted, this office doesn’t issue visitor visas and was the office that issued my wife’s green card but I figured she would’ve had a basic knowledge of visitor visa’s. She suggested I contact the department of state. They do not have a number to call so  I emailed them and they replied with a link to information about immigrant visas and issues dealing with United States citizens. I emailed them a second time and I got the same response. On their website it says that the public information phone number is no longer available.

So does anybody have any suggestions on how I should proceed? It would’ve been nice if someone from the government contacted us when her visa got flagged two years ago to warn us. It also would’ve been nice if the airline would’ve stopped her from getting on the plane in the Philippines rather than stop or 12 hours later when she arrived in Saudi Arabia. 

With an overstay, she's lost her B2 visa, and needs to reapply for it.

1 hour ago, s75h said:

USCIS does not deal with, or issue visas.  That agent was correct in telling you to contact the DOS.  She needs to contact the US consulate in the Philippines and reapply for the visa that was voided when she overstayed.

41 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

reach out to US consulate, thats the best bet

DHS redress is the best contact in the first instance when a visa has been flagged to refuse boarding for the US. The consulate can issue all the visas they want but DHS can still refuse entry on those. Redress specifically  deals with, among others, “situations where travelers believe they have been unfairly or incorrectly …,denied boarding “

9 hours ago, s75h said:

No, wish we done that.

By US immigration law, your MIL's visitor visa was voided the first day she overstayed.  It doesn't matter what reasons she had for overstaying, but USCIS understands that sometimes things happen beyond our control.  Hence, the I-539.  Now your MIL must apply for a new visa at the US embassy if she ever wants to visit again.  But with a previous overstay and no I-539 filed, she is unlikely to ever be granted a new B visa.

What happened to your MIL may seem like the worst to you, but let me point out one silver lining.  It's better that she was turned back before having to face CBP in the US.  If she had presented her voided visa, CBP could have charged her with fraud for attempting to enter with an invalid travel document.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume it was 2 separate flights as I would have thought they would have checked otherwise when she boarded in PI.

I also assume she never applied for a new B2 after her visa was voided after the overstay.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

From my little knowledge, it was on her to get a flight out of US before her time was up. That is why it's always advised not to book a return on the last day of your authorized stay. 

I know a case a while back where someone was caught in a storm and flights out of the airport where canceled. Unfortunately, it was a day or 2 before his authorized stay was due. He overstayed as there was nothing he could do. He still got a ban. He tried to fight it because legitimately, it wasn't his fault. Immigration told him "you had all these X days to get out. Screw you."

That being said, there were flights out of US during COVID. I think people from Philippines were flying to Singapore or Hong Kong and connecting from there. I'm not sure which country it was. Additionally, she could have gone to Mexico. That being said, unfortunately, I don't think contacting DOS will be of help. A lot COVID overstayers got the ban while others did extensions. Your MIL isn't going to be an exception.

Good luck trying though. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not think she has a ban, she does need a Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I assume it was 2 separate flights as I would have thought they would have checked otherwise when she boarded in PI.

I also assume she never applied for a new B2 after her visa was voided after the overstay.

Was wondering that too - possibly US only received the manifest for second flight after first was underweight. I don’t remember which poster here works for airlines but maybe they can chime in. 

1 hour ago, Timona said:

From my little knowledge, it was on her to get a flight out of US before her time was up. That is why it's always advised not to book a return on the last day of your authorized stay. 

I know a case a while back where someone was caught in a storm and flights out of the airport where canceled. Unfortunately, it was a day or 2 before his authorized stay was due. He overstayed as there was nothing he could do. He still got a ban. He tried to fight it because legitimately, it wasn't his fault. Immigration told him "you had all these X days to get out. Screw you."

That being said, there were flights out of US during COVID. I think people from Philippines were flying to Singapore or Hong Kong and connecting from there. I'm not sure which country it was. Additionally, she could have gone to Mexico. That being said, unfortunately, I don't think contacting DOS will be of help. A lot COVID overstayers got the ban while others did extensions. Your MIL isn't going to be an exception.

Good luck trying though. 

Ban? How long did they overstay? Maybe they confused visa refusal with a ban.  There are no bans for less than 180 days overstay. 

DHS redress deals with visas flagged for boarding denial.  Not saying she will be successful because it depends on the reason. But if she is she will get a redress number to use for future travel (assuming she also gets a new visa) to prevent this. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.