Mason_Stellar

Inadmissibility question

49 posts in this topic

Is there a way to check the number of years someone is inadmissible for after overstaying a US visa. I already know the 3 and 10 year bar for less than 180 days and more than a year overstay. i overstayed my visa due to ill health. is the only way to know for how long you're inadmissible is to apply for a new visa and see what they tell you? Basically, is there a way to know how long you have to wait to apply for visa that wont be rejected.

Edited by Mason_Stellar

Just now, Mason_Stellar said:

Is there a way to check the number of years someone is inadmissible for after overstaying a US visa. I already know the 3 and 10 year bar for less than 180 days and more than a year overstay. i overstayed my visa due to ill health. is the only way to know for how long you're inadmissible is to apply for a new visa and see what they tell you?

Do you have a USC spouse or fiance?

Are you applying for a spousal visa or another type of visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Simple maths, presumably you know when you entered, how long you were allowed to stay and when you left.

What do you mean by not rejected? There is no guarantee of visa issuance especially when you have a complicated past.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

it would be best for her to visit u 

u would be lucky to get a tourist visa with a US gf and u would be asked the reason for wanting the visa and have to be honest

even if you get a tourist visa,  and the CBP  asks why u are coming to visit and u say to see my GF or they find out that is the reason,  u could be denied entry 

the fear CBP has is a person would come and marry here and adjust to stay

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Mason_Stellar said:

Going By visa date on my visa stamp, i overstayed by 8 months, so that would mean 3 years ban? is there a way to know this for sure, like somewhere you can ask like the US embassy or something? 

No

Apart from applying for a visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

They won't just tell you based on a number given by you. In actual it could be more or less than what an applicant says. When you are applying for a visa, they'll review your past travel, determine  actual number of unlawful days and tell you the ban imposed.

In general they all follow the below:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title8-section1182&num=0&edition=prelim

Aliens unlawfully present

(i) In general

Any alien (other than an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence) who-

(I) was unlawfully present in the United States for a period of more than 180 days but less than 1 year, voluntarily departed the United States (whether or not pursuant to section 1254a(e) 3 of this title) prior to the commencement of proceedings under section 1225(b)(1) of this title or section 1229a of this title, and again seeks admission within 3 years of the date of such alien's departure or removal, or

(II) has been unlawfully present in the United States for one year or more, and who again seeks admission within 10 years of the date of such alien's departure or removal from the United States,

is inadmissible.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

13 hours ago, Mason_Stellar said:

Its looking like an non-immigrant visa for now. My USC girlfriend wont tie the knot for another 2 -3 years. i want to go see her if possible. So i want to have some clarity on how long i would have to wait before i can visit

Inadmissibility waivers are generally for the purpose of hardships to US citizens.  It is no hardship for someone to be unable to travel as a tourist to the US.

Not happening.

• 6 months later...

me and my US citizen same sex partner meet in college. I feel ill(asthma), could not complete my education and overstayed my visa by more than a year and recuperated then returned to my home country(India). Now me and my partner are looking to tie the knot but have to settle for k1 fiance visa since same sex marriage is not allowed in India. What are our chances to unite with each other in the US after going through visa process? Will the officers be harsh on us? Are there a lot of red flags? is the case unwinnable? does it potentially look like "visa shopping" ? 

Asking for a friend 

Edited by Mason_Stellar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

You might have a 10 year ban due to over stay. However, the topic of F-1 over stay is complicated and I suggest hiring an attorney, as sometimes F-1 visa holders thing they’ve overstayed and they really haven’t. Or they overstayed but not as long as they think.  A 3 year ban would hardly matter given processing times for K and IR visas.  

Even though same sex marriage is illegal where you live, it is  not illegal in Utah county, Utah, USA. You can get married online through Utah county and once you meet in person, file I-130 to start your IR-1 visa process. 

https://www.utahcounty.gov/dept/clerkaud/PassMarr/RemoteAppearanceFAQ.asp

Timeline

Worst case scenario is the need to file a I 601 which adds time and money to the process

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.