westonband

K1 Visa Lost Job

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, westonband said:

Hi: 

I filed I-129F and it is in process, recently lost job, and no option of co-sponsor. Would anyone know if I can qualify on assets alone? 

Can you not get another similarly paying job? Assets will be irrelevant if you start a new position and still meet/exceed the income requirements. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

1 hour ago, westonband said:

Hi: 

I filed I-129F and it is in process, recently lost job, and no option of co-sponsor. Would anyone know if I can qualify on assets alone? 

By filling out your Timeline, others have an idea how to respond to you based on where you are in the K1 process, and your data will help improve visajourney stats pages for others to compare.

@beloved_dingo is correct. If you are early in the K1 process like waiting for NOA2, you have time to get a new job before the K1 interview so that you can get the new employer to write you an employment verification letter, and collect a few months of payslips. Your current income will dictate your affidavit of support.

7 hours ago, westonband said:

Thank you, I am searching for a job, but would still like to know if assets alone can qualify as it eases the worry with the uncertainty in a time frame. 

When is the interview?

Unemployment in the US is still low.   Why can you not find a job?

10 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

By filling out your Timeline, others have an idea how to respond to you based on where you are in the K1 process, and your data will help improve visajourney stats pages for others to compare.

@beloved_dingo is correct. If you are early in the K1 process like waiting for NOA2, you have time to get a new job before the K1 interview so that you can get the new employer to write you an employment verification letter, and collect a few months of payslips. Your current income will dictate your affidavit of support.

I’m waiting for an interview now for K-1 and my fiance last year wasn’t working due to being in college. But this year she’s working and getting payed a good amount. As I understand you correctly, they would look into how much she’s making now and look at her’s projected income? In this case her income would be enough for affidavit of support.

4 hours ago, Dovydas said:

I’m waiting for an interview now for K-1 and my fiance last year wasn’t working due to being in college. But this year she’s working and getting payed a good amount. As I understand you correctly, they would look into how much she’s making now and look at her’s projected income? In this case her income would be enough for affidavit of support.

So without the Timeline, I'm assuming you have received NOA2? And your case is transferred from NVC to the consulate? And you have scheduled a K1 interview with the consulate already? 

If her current income is 100% of the poverty guideline for the correct number of the household, then yes.

By the Adjustment of Status, the I-864 needs to have current income to be 125% of the guideline.

Edited by EatBulaga

6 hours ago, waiting1234 said:

Assets alone can qualify. But its much better to have a job and income. I asked my lawyer about this since i was thinking about taking a year off and had over a mil in assets. He still said it was better to have a job but that it would more than likely be fine.

The K1 beneficiary foreign assets may not weigh much for proof of support. The K1 petitioner current income weighs more for the I-134.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Required Cash Value of Assets on Form I-134

The total net value of assets, less liens and liabilities against them, must equal five times the difference between the supporter's income and 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline for the household size.

and this is embassy dependent as they look at totality of circumstances 

1.  Can u liquidate assets within 1st year to pay for health insurance for the fiancee?

2.  to pay for airfare to get fiancee here?

3.  to pay the $1225 for AOS fees for after the marriage?

4.  are assets your primary residence?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

PLEASE do a timeline and ID the country 

u have no idea how important that is

but the VJ community often relies on timelines to give the best answers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.