JeanneAdil

MIL and issues with diabetes medicine

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Adil went to Moroc to bring his mom back for her visit here. i told him "bring the meds she needs for the entire stay as she has diabetes"

he called from Moroc and said the one med for 60 days was expensive $43 and asked what would it cost in US/  looking this up " it anywhere from $350 to over $600 

he didn't

then he franically tried to find a dr here who would see her to prescribe her needs and no appointment till September (she leaves in August)

so,  he called his aunt to send the meds by DHL  which was a nightmare

several posts to his phone to list all meds,  dosage,  manufacturer ,etc

another post to fill out his EIN or SS #, email ID and US address to verify  and his relationship to  her (different last names as women don't change surname when married but kids take the last name of father  (call to customer service to explain this)

another post to send copy of the passport and visa page of the person

another post to send the prescription itself in English (and a call to customer service as Dr does not read or write English)

another post to fill out new form for sender info and relationship

another post to declare (again ) the price and they wanted invoice and receipt (and a call to customer service as Moroc pharmacies don't do this)

there were about 4 more forms to fill out for various government rules 

all the above were for Belgium customs ( the 1st stop)

we just went thru all this again for US customs 

all this is just to warn anyone traveling 

bring enough meds for the entire trip plus a few days more in case of airline issues

carry the meds on carry on luggage in case checked luggage is misplaced

and i think no matter where u are coming from our US drs and meds are more expensive so beware

Hope the above is more than just a rant  but a help to understand US rules make it hard to do anything 

and the DHL cost of 3 cardboard packs of meds was $120

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

think no matter where u are coming from our US drs and meds are more expensive so beware

Agreed. Thanks to all these insurance policies.

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

he franically tried to find a dr here who would see her to prescribe her needs and no appointment till September

Could he not have a dr from Morocco prescribe the medicine?

When my elderly mom came here for 5 months visit, I had her bring all her medicines (diabetes, opioid level chronic pain medication) for the entire stay. She brought the prescription letter from the local doctor in case she gets questioned about it.

I cannot imagine buying medication here at full cost for sure for those many months. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Definitely a traveler should bring medicine for their full stay, and always bring the actual prescription too - and ideally in the prescription bottle/packet from the pharmacy.  

note there may be restrictions on what you can bring in too 

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/5-tips-traveling-us-medications

Timeline

We have the prescription  (in Arabic as dr does not read and write English)  he should have gotten it ceritified translated )

i just wondered why all DHL didn't do all this paperwork at the sending office 

4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

We have the prescription  (in Arabic as dr does not read and write English)  he should have gotten it ceritified translated )

You can't really expect a physician to be responsible for having a prescription translated.  That is on the patient who wants to travel with it.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You can't really expect a physician to be responsible for having a prescription translated.  That is on the patient who wants to travel with it.

I know and he didn't 

just frustrated that he didn't bring all she needed for the 3  months and trying to warn others 

17 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

i told him "bring the meds she needs for the entire stay as she has diabetes"

And he didn't do it? When I came to the US I brought 3 months worth of everything I was taking. TSA was really cool about it. I brought prefilled syringes and carried them on and they said "no worries you need it" 

Edited by little immigrant

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ummmmm, $43.00 for a prescription is not expensive at all.  When my mom came to visit she brought all of her medications for a 6 month stay and carried them on the plane.  She informed the pharmacy a  month early that she was going abroad for 6 months so they had enough time to fill it all for her.  She came through CBP and TSA with no problems.   

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

our problem (just found out) was moroccan pharmancy would only give a one months supply and told him they mailed the other months by DHL all the time /  but DHL sent them back to moroc saying they were over the counter medicine.  i went to drug store (food City ) here and asked and pharmarist said no,  dr prescription needed and cost of the 2 she would need is over $600 /prescription has to be from US doctor (understand that one ,  of course)

5 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

our problem (just found out) was moroccan pharmancy would only give a one months supply and told him they mailed the other months by DHL all the time /  but DHL sent them back to moroc saying they were over the counter medicine.  i went to drug store (food City ) here and asked and pharmarist said no,  dr prescription needed and cost of the 2 she would need is over $600 /prescription has to be from US doctor (understand that one ,  of course)

DHL can do that? Crazy

Timeline
12 hours ago, little immigrant said:

DHL can do that? Crazy

Guess so,  as they did saying it was an over the counter medicine (DHL said like aspirin)

JANUMET (JAN-you-met) tablets contain 2 prescription medicines: sitagliptin (JANUVIA®) and metformin. Once-daily prescription JANUMET XR (JAN-you-met XR) tablets contain sitagliptin (the medicine in JANUVIA®) and extended-release metformin.

and the cost in the US

The cost for Janumet oral tablet (1000 mg-50 mg) is around $559 for a supply of 60 tablets, depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans.

Basically looking into the cost of medical insurance and medicines in the US for LPR with no work history,  etc  was the big reason we decided she should apply B1/B2   to visit and we didn't apply for IR5  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Have him bring all the medication his mom needs. There will be no issues at the customs.

Couple of years ago my mom brought with her medication for a full two months (she was taking two pills a day). No issues at all at the customs.

if she is bringing in any controlled substances, she needs to have a clear prescription and declare that at the customs

11/17/2016: Got engaged
11/28/2016: I-130 sent to Chicago IL lock box
01/12/2016: NOA1

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 7/2/2022 at 9:58 AM, JeanneAdil said:

Guess so,  as they did saying it was an over the counter medicine (DHL said like aspirin)

JANUMET (JAN-you-met) tablets contain 2 prescription medicines: sitagliptin (JANUVIA®) and metformin. Once-daily prescription JANUMET XR (JAN-you-met XR) tablets contain sitagliptin (the medicine in JANUVIA®) and extended-release metformin.

and the cost in the US

The cost for Janumet oral tablet (1000 mg-50 mg) is around $559 for a supply of 60 tablets, depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans.

Basically looking into the cost of medical insurance and medicines in the US for LPR with no work history,  etc  was the big reason we decided she should apply B1/B2   to visit and we didn't apply for IR5  

Try mail order pharmacies, and coupons like Good RX

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

GoodRX is good for filling scripts

16 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

Try mail order pharmacies, and coupons like Good RX

It seems like this is the price through GoodRX

https://www.goodrx.com/janumet

Filed: Timeline

Many medications are sold over the counter outside the US but require prescriptions in the US. I am shocked that Januvia/metformin is one of them! Never would have guessed it! I also can't believe the huge price difference. It really demonstrates the issues in the US with medication pricing. 

Have you seen the thread here titled health insurance for parents over 65? I forget who the OP was for it but they did a lot of research into the issue and its not as hopeless as it seems at first glance. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.