PeterM

How to include a child not on the original I-129F

32 posts in this topic

I am looking for guidance for a child of a K1 holder that was not on the original I-129F.    The son was birth-registered as a sibling due to restrictions where mother have no marriage certificate at the time of birth.   The birth certificate showed the parents were the grandparents.  Can the son be eligible for K2?   What is the process to include him as a K2?   Appreciate the response.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
3 hours ago, PeterM said:

The son was birth-registered as a sibling due to restrictions where mother have no marriage certificate at the time of birth.   The birth certificate showed the parents were the grandparents.

This needs to be straightened out first. Only then there may be a chance to add the child during interview application phase.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

3 hours ago, PeterM said:

I am looking for guidance for a child of a K1 holder that was not on the original I-129F.    The son was birth-registered as a sibling due to restrictions where mother have no marriage certificate at the time of birth.   The birth certificate showed the parents were the grandparents.  Can the son be eligible for K2?   What is the process to include him as a K2?   Appreciate the response.

Not seeing a way to do that if the child is legally registered as her brother

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I really don't think there's any law in the world which would force an unwed daughter to put her parents names on her own child's BC. I'm with @Mike E

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It seems to me most beneficiaries from the Phillpiines are single mothers so this does seem odd.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It seems to me most beneficiaries from the Phillpiines are single mothers so this does seem odd.

Exactly 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Tagging @Adventine!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

8 hours ago, PeterM said:

You would need to correct the birth certificate... might be complicated.

Another member is going through a similar experience... 

Might want to have this moved to the Philippines forum for country specific advice. 

50 minutes ago, Timona said:

I really don't think there's any law in the world which would force an unwed daughter to put her parents names on her own child's BC. I'm with @Mike E

Yep, in the Philippines, it's not against the law. But there is still a stigma attached to being an unwed single mom, especially if the mom is still a teenager herself. Which is why some people come up with the ***brilliant*** idea to register the baby as the child of the grandparents. 

I don't have a solution for this especially if the beneficiary didn't declare the child on their own petition OR possibly even said during the interview that they had no children. Compounded by the likely situation that the child's official documents (baptismal cert, school records, etc) list the grandparents as the parents. 

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Yep, in the Philippines, it's not against the law. But there is still a stigma attached to being an unwed single mom, especially if the mom is still a teenager herself. Which is why some people come up with the ***brilliant*** idea to register the baby as the child of the grandparents. 

I don't have a solution for this especially if the beneficiary didn't declare the child on their own petition OR possibly even said during the interview that they had no children. Compounded by the likely situation that the child's official documents (baptismal cert, school records, etc) list the grandparents as the parents. 

I think I have come across this elsewhere, Grandparents being registered as the Parents for various sociall reasons. I find it hard to believe the local community would not spot the issue.

I am sort of assuming that what we see on VJ is not a country norm, never been to the Phillipines.

It is of course equally common for children to be left behind in the care af other family members.

I am not sure how DNA test would work with such close family, does anybdy else?

Sorting out the legalities would seem to be the first step.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

What I would do, before proceeding with any immigration, is to maybe get a competent attorney in the Philippines to see if it is something that can be solved. There is no point in counting the eggs without the basket imho

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

@Boiler

It's one of those open secrets: everyone close to the family knows who the real bio-mom is, but to "save face" with society at large, they don't register the child's bio-mom on the BC.

Looking at OP's timeline, the K1 interview is scheduled on July 7. So the I-129F petition was approved but does not have any info about the child on it. I really don't know how the beneficiary is going to handle the visa interview if asked "Do you have any children?" 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Adventine said:

It's one of those open secrets: everyone close to the family knows who the real bio-mom is, but to "save face" with society at large, they don't register the child's bio-mom on the BC.

Chiming in to say it used to happen in Argentina up until about 30 years ago. In fact, I’ve known two people about whom there was a suspicion that their elder sisters were, in fact, their mom. And the two were from the same, rural, less progressive hometown

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Adventine said:

@Boiler

Looking at OP's timeline, the K1 interview is scheduled on July 7. So the I-129F petition was approved but does not have any info about the child on it. I really don't know how the beneficiary is going to handle the visa interview if asked "Do you have any children?" 

The bigger issue is if this is a surprise, an interview in a few days suggests that this this has been processing for a long time.

An I 130 can be filed if and when this is sorted.

And if the child has not been mentioned then she needs to make sure that the Consulate is updated. Probably not the first time the Consulate has seen this or a variant.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.