almaty

Schoolgirl loses "virginity ring" battle

13 posts in this topic

LONDON (Reuters) - A teen-ager whose teachers had stopped her wearing a "purity ring" at school to symbolize her commitment to virginity lost a High Court fight against the ban Monday.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, says her silver ring is an expression of her faith and had argued in court that it should be exempt from school regulations banning the wearing of jewelry.

"I am very disappointed by the decision this morning by the High Court not to allow me to wear my purity ring to school as an expression of my Christian faith not to have sex outside marriage," Playfoot said in a statement.

"I believe that the judge's decision will mean that slowly, over time, people such as school governors, employers, political organizations and others will be allowed to stop Christians from publicly expressing and practicing their faith."

Playfoot's legal challenge was the latest in a series of disputes in British schools in recent years over the right of pupils to wear religious symbols or clothing, such as crucifixes and veils.

Last year, the Law Lords rejected Shabina Begum's appeal for permission to wear a Muslim gown at her school in Luton. That case echoed a debate in France over the banning of Muslim headscarves in state schools.

Playfoot's parents are key members of the British arm of the American chastity campaign group the Silver Ring Thing, a religious group which urges abstinence among young people.

Those who sign up wear a ring on the third finger of the left hand. It is inscribed with "Thess. 4:3-4," a reference to a Biblical passage from Thessalonians which reads: "God wants you to be holy, so you should keep clear of all sexual sin."

During the case, Playfoot's lawyers argued that the ban by her school in Horsham, West Sussex, breached her human rights to "freedom of thought, conscience and religion" which are protected by the European Convention on Human Rights.

Lawyers for the school denied discrimination and said the purity ring breached its rules on wearing jewelry.

They said allowances were made for Muslim and Sikh pupils only for items integral to their religious beliefs and that, for the same reason, crucifixes were also allowed. But it argued that the purity ring was not an integral part of the Christian faith.

Playfoot said in her statement she would consult her legal team to consider whether to appeal.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Purity ring...what a load of tripe. If you're going to be pure, then just be pure, you don't have to bleat on about it.

Couldn't have put it better myself. :yes:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Timeline
Purity ring...what a load of tripe. If you're going to be pure, then just be pure, you don't have to bleat on about it.

True, but it's not like the ring was disruptive or preventing anyone else from learning. It's not required by the Christian faith (which doesn't really have a dress code) but neither is the hijab and those are widely tolerated in UK public schools. There does seem to be an anti-Christian PC bias. I'm not even Christian so it's not like I'm paranoid. :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Tripe. purity tripe.

12/13/04 - Met online

04/02/05 - 1st of 5 trips to the Philippines. The last of which I spent 6 months.

04/02/07- 129-F sent to NSC

04/09/07- Receipt notice date for NOA1

04/13/07- Received NOA1

07/09/07- Touched - Due to phone call I am guessing

07/10/07- 2nd touch hmmmm should I be excited? HAHA

07/11/07- 3rd touch - may or may not be due to a phone call.

07/16/07- 4th touch

07/17/07- 5th touch

07/20/07- NOA2

07/26/07- Received NOA2 hard copy

07/26/07- Received by NVC

07/30/07- NVC Shipped petition to Manila Embassy

10/05/07- Interview date WOW/ Approved

My photos

excellent ...i agree...

True, but it's not like the ring was disruptive or preventing anyone else from learning. It's not required by the Christian faith (which doesn't really have a dress code) but neither is the hijab and those are widely tolerated in UK public schools. There does seem to be an anti-Christian PC bias. I'm not even Christian so it's not like I'm paranoid. :thumbs:

Playfoot's legal challenge was the latest in a series of disputes in British schools in recent years over the right of pupils to wear religious symbols or clothing, such as crucifixes and veils.

Last year, the Law Lords rejected Shabina Begum's appeal for permission to wear a Muslim gown at her school in Luton. That case echoed a debate in France over the banning of Muslim headscarves in state schools.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

excellent ...i agree...

I lived in the UK for six years; I saw plenty of schoolgirls with head coverings. They're allowed in a lot of schools.

I just don't see the big deal; what's so disruptive about a ring?

i think they developed rules regarding jewelry and the ring is that...i do not think it is a shot at any religion ...of course, i am not from Britian, so i may be wrong

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

A chastity ring is certainly a lot less disruptive than an openly-displayed 8" kirpan ("ceremonial" dagger, worn by initiated male Sikhs).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

i think they developed rules regarding jewelry and the ring is that...i do not think it is a shot at any religion ...of course, i am not from Britian, so i may be wrong

I'm not from Britain either; I just lived there. It did seem to me that UK society in general had little to no respect for the Christian faith or its followers.

A chastity ring is certainly a lot less disruptive than an openly-displayed 8" kirpan ("ceremonial" dagger, worn by initiated male Sikhs).

Yeah, but a chastity ring isn't required by the Christian faith; I heard Sikh males are required to wear a kirpan. Even though it's not required it's a very unobtrusive piece of jewelry. I just don't see why the school had to make such a fuss.

I just don't see why the school had to make such a fuss.

Schools are run by self-important, pompous bureacrats who couldn't get better jobs when they were young. That's why.

It wouldn't even make a ripple here; nobody here would care. :lol:

Yeah, but a chastity ring isn't required by the Christian faith; I heard Sikh males are required to wear a kirpan. Even though it's not required it's a very unobtrusive piece of jewelry. I just don't see why the school had to make such a fuss.
Even initiated Sikh males are not required to display the kirpan or kada openly (and it is permissible--actually, mandatory since 1982--to remove the kirpan for reasons such as airline security); uninitiated males are not required to wear it at all.

While a chastity ring is not required of Christians, it looks like it is required of members of this sect; so the decision to ban it was absolutely chopfrack!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.