Zack202

London DCF: I-130 - Process from Start to Finish in 2022

15 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm currently waiting to apply for my I-130 through Direct Consular Filing at the U.S. Embassy in London. We qualify for exceptional circumstances and the Embassy has made an appointment for us to submit our I-130 in early July. I'm currently researching the processes involved in applying for DCF in London, however many of the sources are now out of date. I would like to create this thread to clarify for myself and others, the DCF process in London for I-130 Applications in 2022. Please can anyone else chime in with any edits for guidance / corrections?

Prerequisites:

- Find out if you can file for DCF through exceptional circumstances: 

Steps:

1.    Contact the U.S. Embassy in London via their online contact form: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/i130-exceptional-circumstances-request-form/

2.    Wait for a response from the Embassy. Check your email/junk folder

3.    Once a response has been received, they will inform you if an appointment has been made for you to submit your I-130, any instructions. Or, if they have declined your request to file for DCF. The Embassy does not have to accept your request, and their answer is the final answer. So please keep your message in the contact form brief, and to the point. This might be your first and last attempt at DCF.

4.    Petitioner goes to the I-130 Appointment that was scheduled at the U.S. Embassy in London. I-130 + 130A is submitted and Accepted / Rejected. Fee is paid at the Embassy directly. (Any forms required for payment?)

5.    What happens next?

6.    ?

Thank you.

Edited by Zack202
Update

This thread from a while ago should cover you pretty well in terms of what to expect.

Some folks now getting their case number within the 12 weeks, but others still having to email after 12. Not sure of any rhyme or reason. After you get the case number, you’d just follow instu

On 6/29/2022 at 7:28 PM, saksnoot said:

This thread from a while ago should cover you pretty well in terms of what to expect.

Some folks now getting their case number within the 12 weeks, but others still having to email after 12. Not sure of any rhyme or reason. After you get the case number, you’d just follow instu

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately that thread does not answer any of my questions. I am less concerned about the timeline. My focus is on the actual process, what is involved and how DCF is done in 2022 from start to finish. Have you filed for a CR1 yourself at an Embassy abroad?

• 2 months later...

This is really helpful, thank you!

I have a question about interview scheduling. When you are invited to the initial appointment, do you have any say in when that interview takes place? My spouse and I plan to apply for DFC soon, but we have a week away planned (in the US) that has been booked for over 2 years. We are nervous about whether or not going away is a risk.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, bmorgz said:

This is really helpful, thank you!

I have a question about interview scheduling. When you are invited to the initial appointment, do you have any say in when that interview takes place? My spouse and I plan to apply for DFC soon, but we have a week away planned (in the US) that has been booked for over 2 years. We are nervous about whether or not going away is a risk.

Thanks!

Unlike other means, when going through DCF, it's the beneficiary that books the interview. So instead being given a date for an interview, the beneficiary needs to book the interview themselves through an online portal. You should be able to pick a date that suits you best. It might not be perfect, but could be enough to ensure it doesn't clash with your Holiday. My 12 weeks wait is coming up soon, so I can let you know what the process of booking my interview is like.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:09 AM, Zack202 said:

Unlike other means, when going through DCF, it's the beneficiary that books the interview. So instead being given a date for an interview, the beneficiary needs to book the interview themselves through an online portal. You should be able to pick a date that suits you best. It might not be perfect, but could be enough to ensure it doesn't clash with your Holiday. My 12 weeks wait is coming up soon, so I can let you know what the process of booking my interview is like.

Hi there! I hope your journey is going well / has gone well. I just got a date for my I-130 interview and am looking to get an idea of what to expect next. I know that further down the line my spouse needs to attend a medical examination and interview, but like your question on this original post, I am curious to know the timeline and exact steps and instructions we should expect after we get a case number. I don't want to miss anything out and I'm hoping for a semi-realistic timeline my spouse and I can follow, especially as we prepare to go long distance. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2022 at 12:57 PM, Zack202 said:

Steps:

1.    Contact the U.S. Embassy in London via their online contact form: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/i130-exceptional-circumstances-request-form/

Hey is this the form I need to submit to see if I qualify for DCF? Previous threads have said to call the Embassy but the guy I got through to wasn't very helpful and told me to look online, so I want to just check this is the right process to check if my husband and I qualify. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 7:16 AM, Satinpajama said:

Hey is this the form I need to submit to see if I qualify for DCF? Previous threads have said to call the Embassy but the guy I got through to wasn't very helpful and told me to look online, so I want to just check this is the right process to check if my husband and I qualify. Thanks!

Hi there, yes this is the form you need to submit. There is no way to apply for DCF through the phone or in person. You have to submit this form and wait for their response via email.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:57 AM, Zack202 said:

Hi All,

I'm currently waiting to apply for my I-130 through Direct Consular Filing at the U.S. Embassy in London. We qualify for exceptional circumstances and the Embassy has made an appointment for us to submit our I-130 in early July. I'm currently researching the processes involved in applying for DCF in London, however many of the sources are now out of date. I would like to create this thread to clarify for myself and others, the DCF process in London for I-130 Applications in 2022. Please can anyone else chime in with any edits for guidance / corrections?

Prerequisites:

- Find out if you can file for DCF through exceptional circumstances: 

Steps:

2.    Wait for a response from the Embassy. Check your email/junk folder

3.    Once a response has been received, they will inform you if an appointment has been made for you to submit your I-130, any instructions. Or, if they have declined your request to file for DCF. The Embassy does not have to accept your request, and their answer is the final answer. So please keep your message in the contact form brief, and to the point. This might be your first and last attempt at DCF.

4.    Petitioner goes to the I-130 Appointment that was scheduled at the U.S. Embassy in London. I-130 + 130A is submitted and Accepted / Rejected. Fee is paid at the Embassy directly.

5.    Wait a minimum of 3 months, then reply to the I-130 confirmation email that you received in step 4 above, and tell them it's been 3 months / 12 weeks since you applied and that you want an update. If it's been less than this, you will not receive a response.

6.    You should receive an email back fairly quick (within 1-24hours) telling you about the next steps. This includes being given a case number. And instructions on what to do next. 

These instructions include:

- Submitting your DS-260 (online form asking for many details all over again, but you are NOT required to upload your documents online; since going through DCF means that you will bring them with you to the Embassy when you go for your interview.

- Scheduling interview at the embassy

- Scheduling delivery/collection for your passport for after the interview

7. After the interview you can check your case status here: https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

8. Once Visa has been approved you can collect the passport / wait for delivery as per your preferences when you booked it. (I would recommend collection to avoid any delivery Mistakes, as lots of people have complaints about them)

9. Visa in Hand approx 1-3 days after Visa Approval

I wanted to provide an update since I have now completed the process. Hope this helps someone!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, Zack202 said:

I wanted to provide an update since I have now completed the process. Hope this helps someone!

Thank you so much for this!

I just left the embassy in London moments ago after submitting the i130 and i130a for my partner.

one thing I’m confused about is when throughout the application journey, we find out if the reason for our DCF circumstances is approved?

I guess what I’m failing to understand is where along the journey we should be most worried about a rejection? I’m not worried about the eligibility requirements as we have assets and have been married for 7 years, however I am worried about whether they accept our reasons for our immediate requests.

Your earlier posts make it seem like they decide this prior to the i130 appointment. Is this the case?

After 4. On your list, what other stresses did you have outside of the wait time?

thanks!

20 hours ago, Satinpajama said:

Thank you so much for this!

I just left the embassy in London moments ago after submitting the i130 and i130a for my partner.

one thing I’m confused about is when throughout the application journey, we find out if the reason for our DCF circumstances is approved?

I guess what I’m failing to understand is where along the journey we should be most worried about a rejection? I’m not worried about the eligibility requirements as we have assets and have been married for 7 years, however I am worried about whether they accept our reasons for our immediate requests.

Your earlier posts make it seem like they decide this prior to the i130 appointment. Is this the case?

After 4. On your list, what other stresses did you have outside of the wait time?

thanks!

You're welcome! We actually had the same stress, we didn't know whether or not our I-130 was approved or not. You kind of just submit it, then hope for the best. They don't make the decision to approve your I-130 at or before your appointment, you only find out 12 weeks after you have submitted the I130.

Since the Embassy allowed your I-130 DCF request, providing you have the evidence required in the checklist that they gave you, I think you should be fine. The biggest issue is when you don't have items that they clearly have asked for in the checklist. Unfortunately they don't give you any update, up until the 12 weeks are up. It's a bit nerve wracking, but trust the process and you should hopefully receive your Case number and next steps when you reach out at the 12 week mark. (This means your I130 petition was approved). 

The only other stresses I had outside of the waiting to hear back whether or not the I-130 was approved, was obtaining all the evidence needed for the next steps. It's better to be proactive in my experience. You will need to have Police certificates from everywhere that you have lived since you were 16, long list of address and job history (they asked for 10 years for me, it was only the last 5yrs on the I130) and more etc. Getting these documents can take some time if you haven't got them already (specially if dealing with foreign governments) and I would say start them now, so you don't get stressed trying to get them later.

Best of luck!

Edited by Zack202

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Satinpajama said:

When we hopefully get the invite to come in for interview after 12 weeks, does the petitioner (US citizen) also need to attend or is it just the beneficiary? 

For DCF, only the beneficiary is required to attend the 2nd interview.

• 1 month later...

Once a response has been received, they will inform you if an appointment has been made for you to submit your I-130, any instructions. Or, if they have declined your request to file for DCF. The Embassy does not have to accept your request, and their answer is the final answer. So please keep your message in the contact form brief, and to the point. 

Does anyone know if there is a facility for submitting the I-130 via post or must it be done by the US citizen spouse in person at the Embassy? My new job wants me to start very quickly - worried that I may need to fly to the US before I can submit the I-130 (worst case scenario, I fly back for the appointment but obviously that's a huge expense). Thanks in advance. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.