lovinglive

Travel before applying for AOS

99 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Then that’s your personal decision, based on your own tolerance for risk.   It is not a chance-based system or a question anyone here can answer.

Thanks, actually many people were able to provide useful answers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I-130 filed online:  July 8, 2022
I-485, 765 and 131 filed:  July 12, 2022
NOA1/I-797 received:  July 22, 2022
Biometrics appointment scheduled:  July 23, 2022

Biometrics appointment: August 11, 2022

EAD approved:  August 14, 2022

EAD returned to sender (USCIS):  August 31, 2022

EAD re-sent and delivered:  September 23, 2022

Approval of AOS:  October 11, 2022

Permanent Resident Status card received in the mail:  October 18, 2022

I-131 filed for Re-entry permit:  Nov 23, 2022

NOA1/I-797 for Re-entry permit:  Nov. 27, 2022

Submitted N-400 application for naturalization:  April 19, 2023

Naturalization interview:  July 31, 2023

Oath taking ceremony:  August 1, 2023

1 hour ago, lovinglive said:

just to be clear, if we do a marriage ceremony at the courthouse, and it is already past the I-94 expiry, is there also a risk of getting in legal trouble at the court house itself?  It seems there are police there as well.

I hope you enjoy a bit of peace of mind and know that after lots of legal challenges, ICE has been forced to respect courts as protected spaces.

https://www.ice.gov/about-ice/ero/protected-areas

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/27/991460979/biden-administration-limits-power-of-ice-to-arrest-immigrants-in-courthouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
17 minutes ago, lovinglive said:

why we don't have the option not to answer!  

You do have the option. But sometimes giving the whole picture opens some possibilities you did not know they were open. Anyhow, good luck.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

4 hours ago, Family said:

No matter where you marry, you will get a copy in hand which can be used to file the I-485..for purposes of getting a quick receipt notice. Just do a quick Google search for your local area and you will find many “ mobile” officiants , usually traveling Notaries that also licensed to perform marriages, for less $, than this link ( that includes a bit of venue and party ) https://www.1hourmarriage.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4uaUBhC8ARIsANUuDjVBIbEY6XQYAVTVx8rsSfO3z6zhXeHl3SC526LQRODvB5udkz4N6bUaAmb5EALw_wcB

You will then request Certified Copies ( get a few )  of the marriage certificate ( which usually take approximately 3 weeks) . Please note this is true for the quick Vegas marriage as well, and you will need to follow up for the Certified Copies. 

Additionally, you will receive an RFE for the Certified Copy of the marriage certificate…and will have no problem providing USCIS a copy of the certified copy at that time. 

When we took our marriage certificate to the County Clerk’s office to have it recorded, I was able to get certified copies made and in hand that same day. This was during the pandemic. So it really depends on where one lives.

9 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

can have certified copies in the same day, I request them when I file the marriage license. I can pick people up at the airport, drive them to the License bureau (10 Min) for license, drive to Symphony Park ( I do many marriages there), walk or drive to the county clerks office ( It's that close to the park) , record and get certified copies in hand then and now. Only time you need to wait is if you do it on Sunday, Clerks office isn't open that day, and I can get them first thing Monday morning.

You offer the service free for VJ members and that is lovely. I commend you. Thank you for clarifying how you manage to get them Certified Copy in hand in an hour. …

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
22 hours ago, lovinglive said:

Yes, thanks, we need to travel after the i-94 expires, that's why I'm asking.

I would choose wisely about your decision. Save the travels if you have the choice.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:17 PM, lovinglive said:

Hello everyone, 

My fiance and I have decided to apply for AOS instead of spousal visa.   But we will not be able to do the wedding and submit the AOS application before my fiance's visa entry expires.  I read before that there is a small chance that my fiance could be detained for overstaying her visa.  But we also need to travel before our wedding.  Will it be a problem to take flights after the visa entry expires?  Would we be better to stick to other forms of transport?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experience you have.

Check the rules of the state you plan to marry in. 

I believe some counties and some states require an unexpired I-94... 

You might not be able to get married in your state if your partner overstays. 

I would get married ASAP (this week or next). 

If you cannot get married in your area either message @Loren Y and get married in Vegas or get married via Utah. 

Good luck with the AOS! I hope you don't encounter any other roadblocks. 

Edited by ROK2USA

On 6/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, Demise said:

You killed the I-129F by not filing in time. File I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131, I-864, and I-693. When she flies have the receipt letter from I-485 with you since it'll serve as proof that she is legally in US by the virtue of being an applicant for AOS.

Hi, I thought the I-129F is only for applying for a fiance visa when the fiance is still overseas?

21 minutes ago, lovinglive said:

Hi, I thought the I-129F is only for applying for a fiance visa when the fiance is still overseas?

Yeah the thing is that I-129F is weird. Basically it serves as both the application to get your fiance a K-1, they come to US, you marry within 90 days, and when you file I-485 the I-129F is actually also used as a green card petition and gets included as it were one.

If for some reason you marry late, after the 90 day window, then your fiance can still adjust, but you will need to include an I-130 since the I-129F is no longer good for AOS.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:32 PM, ROK2USA said:

Check the rules of the state you plan to marry in. 

I believe some counties and some states require an unexpired I-94... 

You might not be able to get married in your state if your partner overstays. 

I would get married ASAP (this week or next). 

If you cannot get married in your area either message @Loren Y and get married in Vegas or get married via Utah. 

Good luck with the AOS! I hope you don't encounter any other roadblocks. 

Hi, thanks, I did not see this response.  We already have a marriage license so the only way it would not work out would be if the person doing the wedding ceremony refused to do it.  And I guess you could have trouble registering it at the County Clerk's office?  Not sure how likely those are?

21 minutes ago, Demise said:

Yeah the thing is that I-129F is weird. Basically it serves as both the application to get your fiance a K-1, they come to US, you marry within 90 days, and when you file I-485 the I-129F is actually also used as a green card petition and gets included as it were one.

If for some reason you marry late, after the 90 day window, then your fiance can still adjust, but you will need to include an I-130 since the I-129F is no longer good for AOS.

My fiance is on a B2 visa so it's not related to K-1...

What about the option of filing an extension with form I-539 until we are able to file the I-485?  Is that allowed? 

1 hour ago, lovinglive said:

What about the option of filing an extension with form I-539 until we are able to file the I-485?  Is that allowed? 

Oh okay. Honestly I wouldn't bother with I-539 since well trying to extend a period of admission as a tourist while she is trying to adjust can constitute fraud.

Try your best to tie the knot and file for AOS as soon as you can while she is still in status, but if falls out of it, it won't be a big deal, she will still be allowed to adjust.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:53 AM, lovinglive said:

So she’s claiming to NOT  have immigrant intentions (as required for the B2, for which she wants an extension), yet is planning to stay and adjust status?

Do you really not see the issue here!?

On 6/3/2022 at 9:17 AM, lovinglive said:

Hello everyone, 

My fiance and I have decided to apply for AOS instead of spousal visa.   But we will not be able to do the wedding and submit the AOS application before my fiance's visa entry expires.  I read before that there is a small chance that my fiance could be detained for overstaying her visa.  But we also need to travel before our wedding.  Will it be a problem to take flights after the visa entry expires?  Would we be better to stick to other forms of transport?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experience you have.

I'm confused! Did you file original paperwork in order to do AOS?? why mention visa if she's already on a visa? And where are you traveling?? Out of the country?? You should be able prioritize her legal status over traveling unnecessarily. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.