Bog-can

Help! Montreal Consulate did not receive Waiver Approval from USCIS

10 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My I-601 waiver was approved by USCIS April 26, 2022 for my immigrant visa case.  I noticed that my CEAC date of last update  has not been updated,  suggesting they did not get the waiver approval notice.  I was waiting for instructions from the embassy after the approval but did not hear from them.   So  I emailed the Montreal consulate and after two weeks they responded that they did not yet receive the approved waiver and will not proceed without it.  What am I supposed to do ?  I scanned and emailed the approval notice to them (I-797 from USCIS) in reply to their email.  Normally the consulate is supposed to be notified directly by USCIS upon approval.  Has this happened to anybody?  How do I get this resolved ? Please help! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The consulate is in complete control of all visas.  I think you have done all you can do at this point.  I would just wait for instructions from the consulate.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 hours ago, Bog-can said:

My I-601 waiver was approved by USCIS April 26, 2022 for my immigrant visa case.  I noticed that my CEAC date of last update  has not been updated,  suggesting they did not get the waiver approval notice.  I was waiting for instructions from the embassy after the approval but did not hear from them.   So  I emailed the Montreal consulate and after two weeks they responded that they did not yet receive the approved waiver and will not proceed without it.  What am I supposed to do ?  I scanned and emailed the approval notice to them (I-797 from USCIS) in reply to their email.  Normally the consulate is supposed to be notified directly by USCIS upon approval.  Has this happened to anybody?  How do I get this resolved ? Please help! 

Be patient. 

It's the US Government.  Not happens immediately.  Where are you getting that "normally the consulate is suppose to be notified directly by USCIS upon approval?"  Instant notice or it takes time for government agencies to send each other official records?  

While you are important to you.  You are one of many in the immigration system.  No one is personally running your records around as fast as possible.  It's quite the opposite.  

You've been waiting a month.  It takes USCIS 2-3 months to transfer an approved I-130 to the NVC.  

Immigration is not fast.   It's slow.  

Timeline
21 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Be patient. 

It's the US Government.  Not happens immediately.  Where are you getting that "normally the consulate is suppose to be notified directly by USCIS upon approval?"  Instant notice or it takes time for government agencies to send each other official records?  

While you are important to you.  You are one of many in the immigration system.  No one is personally running your records around as fast as possible.  It's quite the opposite.  

You've been waiting a month.  It takes USCIS 2-3 months to transfer an approved I-130 to the NVC.  

Immigration is not fast.   It's slow.  

Thanks @aaron2020.  This is a waiver not an immigrant petition.  The process is different.  The I-797 approval notice states right on it that they have “Notified the consulate with information about the waiver approval”.  This is written as if it has already happened.  My attorney agrees and said also says that normally the consulate is notified upon approval.  It is part of the approval process.  Montreal is saying they “ have not yet received the approved waiver”.  I understand instructions will take longer , but rather I am just trying to confirm why the are saying they have not received the approval when USCIS is saying that they have been “notified”.   How long is a reasonable amount of time to confirm they have received the waiver?  My research tells me that this usually takes place within  a few days to up to two weeks for the consulate to update your file.  

Edited by Bog-can

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The consulate is in complete control of all visas.  I think you have done all you can do at this point.  I would just wait for instructions from the consulate.

@Crazy Cat it is one thing to wait for instructions vs  I simply want to know if they have received the waiver approval and noted it in my file .  my attorney said is supposed to happen upon approval .  She said that sometimes there are issues with interagency communication.  How long do I wait to find out that USCIS never sent it or something like that.  I could be waiting a long time…

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
On 5/21/2022 at 12:50 PM, Bog-can said:

@Crazy Cat it is one thing to wait for instructions vs  I simply want to know if they have received the waiver approval and noted it in my file .  my attorney said is supposed to happen upon approval .  She said that sometimes there are issues with interagency communication.  How long do I wait to find out that USCIS never sent it or something like that.  I could be waiting a long time…

So, have you contacted USCIS about when they say they sent it?  Or, is it all resolved now?

Edited by jan22

Timeline
12 minutes ago, jan22 said:

So, have you contacted USCIS about when they say they sent it?  Or, is it all resolved now?

@jan22 I was able to get a call back from USCIS.  However all he said was that they won’t look into it until 45 days after the approval, which I calculate is June 12.  So not helpful at all.  Then I would need to call back and put in a service request to the Nebraska Service Center and wait and hope . I am not in the USA so hopefully they will be able to put in a service request for me.  I don’t know what went wrong for Montreal consulate to say they didn’t get the approval.  Can’t they just look up my receipt number that I provided to them anyways  ? is there some sort of consular database that didn’t get updated with the approval? I’ve heard of this happening with the PIMS system for non-immigrant visas.  USCIS expedited my I-601.  It was approved  in a month, which is fantastic,  but the consulate is not taking any action on it sadly, I am stuck and at a loss.  

Filed: Timeline
10 hours ago, Bog-can said:

@jan22 I was able to get a call back from USCIS.  However all he said was that they won’t look into it until 45 days after the approval, which I calculate is June 12.  So not helpful at all.  Then I would need to call back and put in a service request to the Nebraska Service Center and wait and hope . I am not in the USA so hopefully they will be able to put in a service request for me.  I don’t know what went wrong for Montreal consulate to say they didn’t get the approval.  Can’t they just look up my receipt number that I provided to them anyways  ? is there some sort of consular database that didn’t get updated with the approval? I’ve heard of this happening with the PIMS system for non-immigrant visas.  USCIS expedited my I-601.  It was approved  in a month, which is fantastic,  but the consulate is not taking any action on it sadly, I am stuck and at a loss.  

If USCIS won't look into it until after 45 days, that indicates to me they know that it can take them that long to finalize and transmit it to the Consulate.  So, before I would put in a USCIS service request, I would check back with the Consulate next week and see if they have now received it.  (And, no -- the Consulate cannot look up a specific case number in USCIS systems on their own and take action on it).  

• 2 years later...
On 5/21/2022 at 8:50 AM, Bog-can said:

@Bog-can I have a similar situation, how long did it take to resolve at Montreal ? I am just trying to get an idea on the timeline - my waiver was approved July 8th 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Old thread locked for further comments.  Please start a new topic***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.