derekkj

The World’s Best Candy Bars? English, of Course

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a Cadbury bar handy? Hershey's have whopping 33g of sugar in a 60g bar -- that is over half sugar. I'm wondering what the Cadbury and Galaxy numbers are...

I have both at home.... I will post when I am home from work (in about 1 hour or so)

Cant wait to see which is worse.....

Kez

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And while I agree that in general UK sweets are far superior to US ones, you will have to pry the Mallomars out of my cold dead hands. :lol:

Tunnocks Tea Cakes are slightly better than Mallomars IMHO. ;)

And now I want a Tunnocks Tea Cake. Thank you - grrrrr. :angry::angry:

That's my 'I want it 'cos I can't get it here' thing coming into play again - I never ate bloody Tunnocks Tea Cakes in the UK!! (Although those caramel wafers they make.... yum!)

I'll have to find out what these Mallomar things are, and where they can be bought!

A teaspoon of unsweetened peanut butter. It works, honest. :yes: Unless you hate nuts or have a nut allergy of course...

Mmmmm, peanut butter straight from the jar - yum!! :thumbs: Sadly the only peanut butter I have right now is mostly comprised of sugar (and no doubt a ton of HCFS, sigh), but still....

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a Cadbury bar handy? Hershey's have whopping 33g of sugar in a 60g bar -- that is over half sugar. I'm wondering what the Cadbury and Galaxy numbers are...

I have both at home.... I will post when I am home from work (in about 1 hour or so)

Cant wait to see which is worse.....

Kez

My French Canadian Cadbury is 26g of sugar in a 50g bar so that is just over half too.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

And now I want a Tunnocks Tea Cake. Thank you - grrrrr.

That's my 'I want it 'cos I can't get it here' thing coming into play again - I never ate bloody Tunnocks Tea Cakes in the UK!! (Although those caramel wafers they make.... yum!)

OMG YES I love those Wafers.... they are so sicky and very moreish!!!

Kez

I have a 49g bar of British Dairy Milk here and it says 27.8g of sugar.

The remains of the galaxy bar I have in the fridge says 56.4 g for 100g of chocolate.

I have a 49g bar of British Dairy Milk here and it says 27.8g of sugar.

The remains of the galaxy bar I have in the fridge says 56.4 g for 100g of chocolate.

So we're all doomed, doomed I tell you! :P

A Twirl for who can name the character and show that came from...it's an easy one :yes:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
And now I want a Tunnocks Tea Cake. Thank you - grrrrr. :angry::angry:

I'll have to find out what these Mallomar things are, and where they can be bought!

From Wikipedia:

Mallomars are a kind of cookie in the marshmallow sandwich genre, produced seasonally at Nabisco. A circle of Graham cracker is covered with a puff of extruded marshmallow, then enrobed (not dipped) in a hard dark chocolate shell. Mallomars were introduced to the public in 1913, the same year as the Moon Pie (a confection which has similar ingredients). The first box of Mallomars was sold in West Hoboken, NJ (now Union City, NJ). Nabisco discusses it with a short story printed on Mallomar boxes[citation needed].

Because Mallomars melt easily in summer temperatures, they can become difficult to find during the summer: they are generally available from early October through April. Devoted eaters of the cookie have been known to stock up during winter months and keep them refrigerated over the summer. Seventy percent of all Mallomars sold are sold in metropolitan New York, and a majority of the rest are sold in outlets such as Miami and Los Angeles.[citation needed] more...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallomars

I can usually find them at regular grocery stores here in DC, but as noted by Wikipedia, it's the summertime and they are not being sold right now, grrrr. And I forgot to get extra and freeze them this year. :cry: Anywho, I can eat a whole box at once. I nibble off the cookie first, suck out the marshmellow and finally get to the chocolate. It's truly a sublime experience. :blush:

Now, what's this Tunnocks Tea Cake? Never ran across them in the UK. Do they sell them in Canada?

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

400g Bar of UK Made Cadbury Dairy Milk

Nutrition Facts per 100g

Energy = 525 cals

Protein = 7.7g

Sugar = 56.9g

Fat = 29.7g

Fibre = 0.7g

Sodium = Trace

400g Bar of UK Made Galaxy

Energy = 543 cals

Protein = 6.8g

Sugar = 56.4g

Fat = 31.6g

Fibre = 1.5g

Sodium = 0.11g

Now I am going to eat some.....

Kez

Now, what's this Tunnocks Tea Cake? Never ran across them in the UK. Do they sell them in Canada?

Basically the same thing as a Mallomar, but with a bit more marshmallow:

250px-Tunnocks_tea_cakes.jpg

Don't know if they are available in Canada, but I remember seeing something similar being made on "How its Made" that was Canadian and had a different brand name.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Basically the same thing as a Mallomar, but with a bit more marshmallow:

250px-Tunnocks_tea_cakes.jpg

Don't know if they are available in Canada, but I remember seeing something similar being made on "How its Made" that was Canadian and had a different brand name.

I wonder if they're kosher. Marshmallows usually aren't. It's not like I'm Jewish; I just don't dig on gelatin.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Oh I have a craving for a large bag of Minstrals..... or a Ripple.... Going to ask Mum to bring some over next month when she comes to visit..... Now what can I eat to keep my craving at bay until then????

Kez

I saw Ripples at my local Food Basics over the weekend!!! I was almost drooling and couldnt decide between Ripple and Drifter.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Oh I have a craving for a large bag of Minstrals..... or a Ripple.... Going to ask Mum to bring some over next month when she comes to visit..... Now what can I eat to keep my craving at bay until then????

Kez

I saw Ripples at my local Food Basics over the weekend!!! I was almost drooling and couldnt decide between Ripple and Drifter.

What's Ripples? What's Drifter? :blink: :blink: I'm still looking for Mr Kipling's lemon slices. I really liked those! :crying:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.