RobertRobert

Question about cancelled work permit (SPLIT)

6 posts in this topic

@ROK2USA - I found your answers helpful in this thread. I'm in Thailand as well with a CR-1 application now being process at NVC and no interview date at the embassy yet. I was wondering what you think would happen if I my work permit was actually cancelled during the time the case was still with NVC and the interview had not been scheduled yet. Without a work permit I would still be a resident (ie, with lease, bank account etc) but eventually would need to shift to a differen type of Thai visa (non business visa). Assuming I waiting in Thailand until the interview was called, woudl this put the interview at risk – ie, not being able to produce a valid work permit and business visa? If so, there are other visa types I would look at (such as retirement or education). Thanks, 

Edited by RobertRobert

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 minutes ago, RobertRobert said:

@ROK2USA - I found your answers helpful in this thread. I'm in Thailand as well with a CR-1 application now being process at NVC and no interview date at the embassy yet. I was wondering what you think would happen if I my work permit was actually cancelled during the time the case was still with NVC and the interview had not been scheduled yet. Without a work permit I would still be a resident (ie, with lease, bank account etc) but eventually would need to shift to a differen type of Thai visa (non business visa). Assuming I waiting in Thailand until the interview was called, woudl this put the interview at risk – ie, not being able to produce a valid work permit and business visa? If so, there are other visa types I would look at (such as retirement or education). Thanks, 

If you have Status at the time of DQ (or unless you inform NVC of a change of status) AND you are still in Thailand, the interview will be scheduled in Bangkok and you can interview there no matter what your status is on the interview date.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 hour ago, RobertRobert said:

@RobertRobert Great Question and one I've been wondering about ^^

To be honest, in all the reviews I've read of 3rd country nationals interviewing outside their country, I've never seen "current or even past proof of residency" being a required document at the interview (unless it was a DCF case).

Just recently a K1 VJ member's partner from Zimbabwe interviewed in South Africa after her work permit expired. 

She had to travel to South Africa and interviewed as a tourist. 

Her only real issue was being put in AP after interview. She needed to submit a South African PCC that hadn't been issued yet.  

The consulate kept her passport and she was worried she might overstay in South Africa 

I also read a report from a few years back where a VJ member's partner was able to interview in a country where they were undocumented (I need to find that post again but it eludes me).

Long story short, try to maintain status (renew the work visa/obtain a new one/switch to a student visa) and if you have to switch to a tourist visa make sure you're able to stay in Thailand for a few months after your interview in case you're put into prolonged AP. 

Good luck! And please fill out your timeline. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

@RobertRobert Great Question and one I've been wondering about ^^

To be honest, in all the reviews I've read of 3rd country nationals interviewing outside their country, I've never seen "current or even past proof of residency" being a required document at the interview (unless it was a DCF case).

Just recently a K1 VJ member's partner from Zimbabwe interviewed in South Africa after her work permit expired. 

Her only real issue was being put in AP after interview. She needed to submit a South African PCC that hadn't been issued yet.  

The consulate kept her passport and she was worried she might overstay in South Africa 

I also read a report from a few years back where a VJ member's partner was able to interview in a country where they were undocumented (I need to find that post again but it eludes me).

Long story short, try to maintain status (renew the work visa/obtain a new one/switch to a student visa) and if you have to switch to a tourist visa make sure you're able to stay in Thailand for a few months after your interview in case you're put into prolonged AP. 

Good luck! And please fill out your timeline. 

I would concur, but you don't mention which country the K1 applicant was from.  For example, applicant from Mozambique don't have another place they can interview, because there is no IV unit there.  They MUST interview in South Africa regardless of status.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

27 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I would concur, but you don't mention which country the K1 applicant was from.  For example, applicant from Mozambique don't have another place they can interview, because there is no IV unit there.  They MUST interview in South Africa regardless of status.

Re-read my reply carefully. I mentioned the country.

3 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

US Embassy in South Africa conducts interviews for citizens and residents of South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique, Mauritius, Lesotho and Swaziland. 

Edited by ROK2USA

*** Topic split from another member's thread. Do not hijack other member's thread.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.