320 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
11 hours ago, davidtech said:

Of course! So on the case status tab on USCIS it says March 8th they approved my application and sent me a notice. When I open up the approval PDF it says my case was sent to NVC and that one is dated March 7th. Is the case status tab supposed to get updated when they send it over? It's good to hear that! I also have done all this by myself with patience and making sure all the details are filled... so far we are on a good track now we just have to receive that welcome email, hopefully soon!

My prayers were answered at 3:27am - I finally got my husband's case number!  I was approved before you so just hang in there....it's coming!

1 hour ago, Ramirez65 said:

My prayers were answered at 3:27am - I finally got my husband's case number!  I was approved before you so just hang in there....it's coming!

Good to hear! Hoping soon for me👍🏽

USCIS Process

2.27.22 - Filed I-130 online

2.27.22 - NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center) -> Transferred (California Service Center)

Case Is Actively Being Reviewed Since 2.27.22

5.27.22 - K3 Received

6.1.22 - K3 Receipt Notice (California Service Center)

3.7.23 - NOA2 (Approved)

4.10.23 - NVC Docs Sent

4.21.23 - NVC Completion

7.14.23 - Interview Letter Received

9.21.23 - Visa Approved (CR1 Interview)

31 minutes ago, davidtech said:

Good to hear! Hoping soon for me👍🏽

So actually I just received an update that my case was sent to the NVC today!

USCIS Process

2.27.22 - NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center) -> Transferred (California Service Center)

5.27.22 - K3 Received

3.7.23 - NOA2 (Approved)

4.10.23 - NVC Docs Sent

4.21.23 - NVC Completion

Timeline
2 hours ago, davidtech said:

So actually I just received an update that my case was sent to the NVC today!

That’s awesome now you should get your welcome email within the next 3 days.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:09 PM, Ramirez65 said:

That’s awesome now you should get your welcome email within the next 3 days.

Update, I received my case number early morning. Logged in to the NVC site and I scheduled the payment for the fees! So far so good!

Edited by davidtech

USCIS Process

5.27.22 - K3 Received

3.7.23 - NOA2 (Approved)

4.10.23 - NVC Docs Sent

4.21.23 - NVC Completion

Timeline
34 minutes ago, davidtech said:

Update, I received my case number early morning. Logged in to the NVC site and I scheduled the payment for the fees! So far so good!

I’m so happy for you….I know how stressful this is….the struggle is real but we’ll get through this stronger and more resilient!

3 hours ago, Ramirez65 said:

I’m so happy for you….I know how stressful this is….the struggle is real but we’ll get through this stronger and more resilient!

Thank you! It helps to have support from others as well but yes we will be done with this soon and it will be worth it!

USCIS Process

5.27.22 - K3 Received

3.7.23 - NOA2 (Approved)

4.10.23 - NVC Docs Sent

4.21.23 - NVC Completion

Hello.  Based on current NVC processing times, my wife and I are expecting to hear from NVC this coming week, hopefully that we are documentarily qualified.  I'll be sure to share when we have information on that.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and continuing successes with their cases.

Edited by aaroncv3

Timeline
32 minutes ago, aaroncv3 said:

Hello.  Based on current NVC processing times, my wife and I are expecting to hear from NVC this coming week, hopefully that we are documentarily qualified.  I'll be sure to share when we have information on that.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and continuing successes with their cases.

Sending you good luck vibes!  I just submitted my husband’s case 2 days ago (and my stepson’s case on the 9th).  I’m on another topic page for NVC March filers and a lot of people are getting DQ’d within 14 days.  We’re almost there!!  Have a great weekend and let us know when you get DQ’d.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:22 PM, aaroncv3 said:

We heard from NVC, and they are requesting more documentation.

Specifically, these were the messages in the inbox:

• Please submit a marriage termination document between the Petitioner and [redacted]. Please use our Document Finder at https://nvc.state.gov/find for acceptable documents guidelines.
  • This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

The first item was simple enough to submit.

I'm not sure exactly the best approach for the second item.  My income is non-taxable income from the VA.  It is above the poverty standards.  I submitted the VA Benefit Verification Letter, my DD-214, over 2 years of the most recent bank statements showing direct deposit... These were the documents mentioned by others on VJ with the same income scenario.

I'll keep looking in to it.  Of course this is slightly discouraging, but not entirely unexpected.  I'll continue updating about our experience for the posterity of this sort of crowd-sourced information.  These forums have certainly been invaluable to us.

Timeline
6 hours ago, aaroncv3 said:

We heard from NVC, and they are requesting more documentation.

Specifically, these were the messages in the inbox:

• Please submit a marriage termination document between the Petitioner and [redacted]. Please use our Document Finder at https://nvc.state.gov/find for acceptable documents guidelines.
  • This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

The first item was simple enough to submit.

I'm not sure exactly the best approach for the second item.  My income is non-taxable income from the VA.  It is above the poverty standards.  I submitted the VA Benefit Verification Letter, my DD-214, over 2 years of the most recent bank statements showing direct deposit... These were the documents mentioned by others on VJ with the same income scenario.

I'll keep looking in to it.  Of course this is slightly discouraging, but not entirely unexpected.  I'll continue updating about our experience for the posterity of this sort of crowd-sourced information.  These forums have certainly been invaluable to us.

Good morning!  Sorry that you got the dreaded RFE.  Question - did you not originally submit the marriage termination document?

Regarding the Affidavit of Support - were you well above the poverty guidelines?  I follow an immigration attorney on YouTube who does live call-in shows for people to get answers to their immigration problems - if you're interested I'll send you the link.  A lot of people call in with Affidavit of Support issues and he always says that if you're not well above the poverty guidelines, you should get a co-sponsor.  That's just how NVC is - even though they have guidelines, they sometimes ask for more.  Same thing with the documents - they give you a list of what you need to submit but then they send an RFE for something that wasn't even on the list.  It's frustrating but you'll get there.    

3 minutes ago, Ramirez65 said:

Good morning!  Sorry that you got the dreaded RFE.  Question - did you not originally submit the marriage termination document?

Not with the AOS/IV packets.  They were submitted with the I-130, of course.  Actually, NVC asked only for the 1st marriage, not the 2nd marriage.  I went ahead and uploaded both now.

5 minutes ago, Ramirez65 said:

Regarding the Affidavit of Support - were you well above the poverty guidelines?

Yes. A 100% service connected, "total and permanent" VA income is substantially above poverty guidelines.

9 minutes ago, Ramirez65 said:

I follow an immigration attorney on YouTube who does live call-in shows for people to get answers to their immigration problems - if you're interested I'll send you the link.  A lot of people call in with Affidavit of Support issues and he always says that if you're not well above the poverty guidelines, you should get a co-sponsor.  That's just how NVC is - even though they have guidelines, they sometimes ask for more.  Same thing with the documents - they give you a list of what you need to submit but then they send an RFE for something that wasn't even on the list.  It's frustrating but you'll get there.    

After some more reading, I believe the problem is that I did not explicitly indicate the means to qualify, but rather only implicitly indicated.  I submitted the VA benefit letter, my DD-214, bank statements, but did explicitly attach a cover letter explaining why my income had no tax records associated with it.  Instead, for the "FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURN OR TRANSCRIPT" upload, I only placed this comment: "NON-TAXABLE, VETERAN DISABILITY, 100 PERCENT TOTAL AND PERMANANT (VA BENEFIT LETTER UPLOADED AS EVIDENCE)".

Based on information in other threads, I will generate a cover letter which explicitly indicates my intended means for AOS qualification and re-submit.  I can understand how implicit evidence can be insufficient documentation for the officer reviewing the case.

Did you have a particular live stream in mind?  I've seen a number of such immigration lawyer channels and live streams.  I'm familiar with Hacking Immigration, for example.  Did you have a particular topic video or response in mind?

Timeline
1 hour ago, aaroncv3 said:

Not with the AOS/IV packets.  They were submitted with the I-130, of course.  Actually, NVC asked only for the 1st marriage, not the 2nd marriage.  I went ahead and uploaded both now.

Yes. A 100% service connected, "total and permanent" VA income is substantially above poverty guidelines.

After some more reading, I believe the problem is that I did not explicitly indicate the means to qualify, but rather only implicitly indicated.  I submitted the VA benefit letter, my DD-214, bank statements, but did explicitly attach a cover letter explaining why my income had no tax records associated with it.  Instead, for the "FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURN OR TRANSCRIPT" upload, I only placed this comment: "NON-TAXABLE, VETERAN DISABILITY, 100 PERCENT TOTAL AND PERMANANT (VA BENEFIT LETTER UPLOADED AS EVIDENCE)".

Based on information in other threads, I will generate a cover letter which explicitly indicates my intended means for AOS qualification and re-submit.  I can understand how implicit evidence can be insufficient documentation for the officer reviewing the case.

Did you have a particular live stream in mind?  I've seen a number of such immigration lawyer channels and live streams.  I'm familiar with Hacking Immigration, for example.  Did you have a particular topic video or response in mind?

I was referring to Hacking Immigration so you're familiar with them.  I don't have a particular topic video but when they have their live call-in shows, you could get yourself into the waiting room and ask Jim Hacking about this.  I'm sure you've nailed it though - they aren't smart enough to figure out what you're submitting and put it all together so I bet a cover letter would resolve this.

3 hours ago, aaroncv3 said:

I've uploaded a letter explicitly indicating my means to satisfy the requirements.

I will share that letter here as a point of reference when I can also share the outcome as a metric of its success or failure, as the case may be.  I'll be the guinea pig.  I will have uploaded nothing else except exactly what I will share in a future post. 🔬

2 hours ago, Ramirez65 said:

I'm sure you've nailed it though - they aren't smart enough to figure out what you're submitting and put it all together so I bet a cover letter would resolve this.

I bet they are smart, and also not stupid... If i had a hundred cases coming across my desk every day, you had better believe I'd RFE someone's case before I drove myself insane guessing what they might have meant when they uploaded something that wasn't immediately clear. 🤣

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.