Mazu

What is the Expired I-129f extension process ?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Our i129f expired.  We sent the US consulate in Mumbai a request to extend but they said contact USCIS.  Every Google search I see state to contact the US embassy to request an extension.  Plus, USCIS  website has no where to send an email for this type of request on their Contact Me page.  There are only certain topics you can ask questions on. 
Does anyone know the process of extending an expired I-129f in detail and specifics? 
I see many vague Google responses to the question but no I’ve seems to have a real answer of exactly how to do step by step. 
Also, anyone have a way to email  USCIS with a question and get answers ? Thank you 

Edited by Mazu
Miss spell word

Timeline

It expired because I was under the impression we needed to hear from the embassy by email or letter to schedule an interview and biometrics. When that never happened after 5 months I just went online to schedule it myself and googled how to extend an expired I-129f.  I emailed the consulate and got a vague reply to contact USCIS for help. 

Origin:   Email
Case Reason:   Re: I-129f Revalidate request
Public Response:   Dear Applicant: 

Thank you for writing to the U.S. Visa Service Desk. 

We understand you have a query regarding the visa application process.

In response to your question, we request you to please contact USCIS : https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/contact-us

We hope this information is helpful to you. 

Please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/gss_india to share feedback on the services we provide. 

Sincerely, 
U.S. Visa Service  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Mazu said:

Our i129f expired.  We sent the US consulate in Mumbai a request to extend but they said contact USCIS.  Every Google search I see state to contact the US embassy to request an extension.  Plus, USCIS  website has no where to send an email for this type of request on their Contact Me page.  There are only certain topics you can ask questions on. 
Does anyone know the process of extending an expired I-129f in detail and specifics? 
I see many vague Google responses to the question but no I’ve seems to have a real answer of exactly how to do step by step. 
Also, anyone have a way to email  USCIS with a question and get answers ? Thank you 

I would contact NVC to see if they have the case. If it is there, it you should be OK.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Mazu said:

It expired because I was under the impression we needed to hear from the embassy by email or letter to schedule an interview and biometrics. When that never happened after 5 months I just went online to schedule it myself and googled how to extend an expired I-129f.  I emailed the consulate and got a vague reply to contact USCIS for help. 

1. After I-129F was approved did NVC contact you to let you know it had the case?

2. Did the embassy ever contact you?

https://www.visajourney.com/guides/k1-fiance-visa-flowchart/ has all the steps. Which step did the state department fail to do, or was there a step you failed to do?

Timeline

Yes the NVC sent us a letter stating they sent our file to US Consulate in Mumbai on Jan 18, 2022. Then we have never gotten any letter or email about when to interview. 
So we scheduled our own online (2/2022) and the Consulate called and said we can’t schedule an interview yet because they haven’t notified us they are ready.  So in the meantime our I-129 f expired.  So we emailed 5-10-22 the consulate and got this reply: 

Your fiancé(e) visa case is now ready for final processing. Starting December 1, 2017 all K visa applicants will be interviewed at the U.S. Consulate General Mumbai. Please note that an I-129F petition approved by USCIS is valid for four months from the date of approval. Please carefully follow the interview preparation steps below. 

Step 1: Read the Appointment Instructions for K Visa Applicants (Packet 4) available to download on our website at https://in.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/. 

we then went online and scheduled the biometric and interview. Now we just need to extend our expired i129f
Edited by Mazu
Date

Timeline

Yes. We filed D 160, medical is done too. 
everything but interview and biometrics. 
btw can you do biometrics anywhere? Like can we do it in Delhi but have interview in Mumbai ? Does it matter where biometrics is  done. I know interview can only be at Mumbai. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mazu said:

Yes. We filed D 160, medical is done too. 
everything but interview and biometrics. 
btw can you do biometrics anywhere? Like can we do it in Delhi but have interview in Mumbai ? Does it matter where biometrics is  done. I know interview can only be at Mumbai. 

Unless the embassy has told you that the visa is denied because the approved I-129F expired, there  is no need to extend the I-129F when it is the embassy that caused the delay.  At any rate I’ve never heard of USCIS extending an I-129F.  

You do biometrics  where the embassy tells you to do them.  

Edited by Mike E

• 11 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.