anon112358

Working remotely for a foreign company as contractor on IR1

9 posts in this topic

Hello, fellow VisaJourney members,

I have an offer to work remotely for a US-based parent company's foreign subsidiary company as a contractor. Will work for this foreign company cause any problems down the line?

I have been going through this IRS article but am still confused as to whether I would be eligible to work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the "Finding Work" forum to the "Working & Traveling" forum -- topic is eligibility to work rather than how to find work.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
40 minutes ago, anon112358 said:

Hello, fellow VisaJourney members,

I have an offer to work remotely for a US-based parent company's foreign subsidiary company as a contractor. Will work for this foreign company cause any problems down the line?

I have been going through this IRS article but am still confused as to whether I would be eligible to work.

Just to clarify, you say you're working for a US company's subsidiary while *outside* the US? If so, no work authorization is needed for that.

If you are working for a foreign company while you are in the US, the consensus here is that work authorization is required. I personally would argue that it's absolutely needed if it's a subsidiary of a US company as a US based contractor.

If you have work authorization such as an EAD or Green Card, then don't sweat it, it doesn't matter from an immigration perspective.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you have an IR1 from your status (heading for the post)

so ,  u can work

have u received the actual green card yet?

I 551 stamp on visa acts as green card for a year

work how long outside the US? 

as this affects your ability to naturalize later 

do u have your SS # yet as that is needed to file IRS taxes as required 

and the company needs your SS # to withhold the necessary federal taxes, medicare, and SS amounts 

will u maintain a US residency during this work period?

29 minutes ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Just to clarify, you say you're working for a US company's subsidiary while *outside* the US? If so, no work authorization is needed for that.

If you are working for a foreign company while you are in the US, the consensus here is that work authorization is required. I personally would argue that it's absolutely needed if it's a subsidiary of a US company as a US based contractor.

If you have work authorization such as an EAD or Green Card, then don't sweat it, it doesn't matter from an immigration perspective.

Work remotely while in the US. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I will be entering US soon on IR1 and I already have an SSN since I worked part time on F1 visa years back.

Thanks for your response!

5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

you have an IR1 from your status (heading for the post)

so ,  u can work

have u received the actual green card yet?

I 551 stamp on visa acts as green card for a year

work how long outside the US? 

as this affects your ability to naturalize later 

do u have your SS # yet as that is needed to file IRS taxes as required 

and the company needs your SS # to withhold the necessary federal taxes, medicare, and SS amounts 

will u maintain a US residency during this work period?

I do have an IR1 visa and will be getting I 551 stamp at POE soon.

I also have SS # as I worked part time on F1 visa few years back.
I will be residing in US and work remotely for a foreign company. (The parent company is headquartered in US, however my employment would be in the form of a contract with its subsidiary in Europe).

I should have posted my question clearly, sorry about that!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, anon112358 said:

I do have an IR1 visa and will be getting I 551 stamp at POE soon.

I also have SS # as I worked part time on F1 visa few years back.
I will be residing in US and work remotely for a foreign company. (The parent company is headquartered in US, however my employment would be in the form of a contract with its subsidiary in Europe).

I should have posted my question clearly, sorry about that!

Oh yeah, you're fine then. I'm working remotely for my Canadian employer while living in the US. While it is 'fun' from a tax perspective, from an immigration perspective, they don't care.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.