jjp85

Has anyone else applied for the Uniting for Ukraine program?

834 posts in this topic

Our U4U beneficiaries are homesick and miss their husbands so they want to leave for good under the U4U program.  They may apply again for US Visas once the war ends along with their husbands but until then they want to go back home.   Although we have encouraged them to stay for a bit longer especially now since the war is escalating, I do understand their frustration and being torn between two places and how hard it is when families are not together but separated.  Want to make sure that they comply with requirements leaving under the U4U program to make sure that there is no impact if they would like to later apply for a Visa or even future U4U if they decide.

One of our beneficiaries worked last year, had W4 and W2 and filed a 2021 tax return.  The other beneficiary did not work and did not file 2021 tax return.  Not sure if that matters any when deciphering alien departure requirements for each.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never heard of anyone doing it, now I have heard of a sailing permit, I am going to guess there is a clue in the name.

It seems something on the books that is never enforced

Wonder how long it would take to actually get one 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, hutzul said:

Our U4U beneficiaries are homesick and miss their husbands so they want to leave for good under the U4U program.  They may apply again for US Visas once the war ends along with their husbands but until then they want to go back home.   Although we have encouraged them to stay for a bit longer especially now since the war is escalating, I do understand their frustration and being torn between two places and how hard it is when families are not together but separated.  Want to make sure that they comply with requirements leaving under the U4U program to make sure that there is no impact if they would like to later apply for a Visa or even future U4U if they decide.

One of our beneficiaries worked last year, had W4 and W2 and filed a 2021 tax return.  The other beneficiary did not work and did not file 2021 tax return.  Not sure if that matters any when deciphering alien departure requirements for each.

Logically once the war is over there will be no need for U4U

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

We hope and pray the war will end soon and understandably the U4U program would be cancelled.  With the recent war escalation and no negotiations to end the war there appears to be no end in sight for the war.  For our beneficiaries was just considering that they may change their minds yet again once back in Ukraine for a while and apply for U4U again if the war is still ongoing and how dangerous it becomes back home.

From the IRS website

When To Get a Sailing or Departure Permit

You should get your sailing or departure permit at least 2 weeks before you plan to leave. You cannot apply earlier than 30 days before your planned departure date. Do not wait until the last minute in case there are unexpected problems.

Timeline

I find it difficult to imagine anything would be processed that quickly 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Uniting for Ukraine

2022-05-14 I-134 (1) Submitted

2022-05-17 I-134 (1) Case confirmed

2022-05-17 Beneficiary (1) e-mail received, USCIS account created

2022-05-17 I-134 (2) Submitted

2022-05-19 I-134 (2) Approved

2022-05-19 Beneficiary (2) e-mail received, added to travel group

2022-05-20 Information submitted to USCBP

2022-05-20 Travel documents received
2022-06-14 Arrived (Houston, TX)
2022-06-20 I-765 Sent
2022-06-24 I-797C NOA receipt
2022-07-20 ASC notice received
2022-07-24 Biometrics appointment

F4 Visa Journey
2014-04-24  I-130 filed

2022-03-02  Expedite request submitted
2022-03-07  Expedite request approved

2022-03-16  I-130 approved

2022-04-30  NVC case created

2022-05-05  Case not eligible for further processing

K1 Visa Journey
2006-10-10  I-129F filed

2007-07-24  K1 visa received

2008-04-11 - AOS filed

2009-03-24 - AOS approved

2011-01-11 - Lifting conditions filed

2011-03-21 - Lifting conditions approved

2013-02-02 - Naturalization filed

2013-05-09 - Naturalization approved

2013-09-24 - Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hey everyone. Any recent timelines for U4U applications? Our CBP Travel Authorization was submitted over a week ago and we still heard nothing. The 1-134A sponsor request took just over 3 weeks.

19 hours ago, kostyaby said:

Hey everyone. Any recent timelines for U4U applications? Our CBP Travel Authorization was submitted over a week ago and we still heard nothing. The 1-134A sponsor request took just over 3 weeks.

I'm also interested in this information.  MIL is interested in visiting her Daughter's family before submitting the Adjustment of Status, and Ukrainian nationals only have a 90 stay in Turkey, so we need to determine her odds of approval before the 90 days are up.

Timeline

Not sure what the numbers are now but they were getting about 10,000 Humanitarian Parole applications a day so likely the whole process has been slowed.

Our I-134A was approved last year and travel authorization issued however due to factors beyond their control our beneficiaries were unable to travel to us. Although we filed for the one time 90 day extension and were approved, this also expired. Currently our beneficiaries are able to travel to us so we filed a new I-134A, however this case was administratively closed with the following explanation:

"USCIS has determined that you previously filed a Form I-134A for this same beneficiary and have already received a confirmation. Therefore, USCIS is administratively closing this filing as a duplicate."

We filed this new I-134A after travel authorization for our original case expired because instructions stated we should file again. I contacted USCIS for a reason why this case was closed but only received the same response that it was a duplicate. We are confused on our next step. Should we file yet another I-134A? It shouldn't have been marked as duplicate as our financial information is different than last year. Perhaps we could request an additional extension to travel? Thanks for and tips or guidance. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Strunch said:

Our I-134A was approved last year and travel authorization issued however due to factors beyond their control our beneficiaries were unable to travel to us. Although we filed for the one time 90 day extension and were approved, this also expired. Currently our beneficiaries are able to travel to us so we filed a new I-134A, however this case was administratively closed with the following explanation:

"USCIS has determined that you previously filed a Form I-134A for this same beneficiary and have already received a confirmation. Therefore, USCIS is administratively closing this filing as a duplicate."

We filed this new I-134A after travel authorization for our original case expired because instructions stated we should file again. I contacted USCIS for a reason why this case was closed but only received the same response that it was a duplicate. We are confused on our next step. Should we file yet another I-134A? It shouldn't have been marked as duplicate as our financial information is different than last year. Perhaps we could request an additional extension to travel? Thanks for and tips or guidance. 

They've been using any reason at all to close cases.

I recently filed an extension request twice for a beneficiary, once 28 days before expiration and again 10 days after expiration, and both times, the reply was that I was making the request outside the 30 day before/after period.

It was bad during the pandemic/Trump reign, but never did they completely go against policy; it just took forever to get anything processed.

Timeline

Remember who you are dealing with, as a general point never give them the opportunity to screw things up.

Maybe this is the sort of situation when a Congressperson could help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Strunch said:

We are dealing with almost this exact scenario.  We filed I-134 and were quickly approved in early January, but bene was unable to travel.  Filed I-134A again on May 7 after expiration of original but case was “administratively closed” in June.  Same reason - “filed as duplicate”. I cannot reach anyone by phone (absolute exercise in futility) and we cannot send a message as we have sent 2 and apparently your ability to send messages closes with 2 notes.  We are wide open to any suggestions anyone may have.

02/06/18 - Sent I-129F Package to Texas Lockbox

02/08/18 - USCIS received package

02/14/18 - Notification of NOA1 (Text and Email)

02/20/18 - Hard copy of NOA1

08/17/18 - NOA2 Notification (email & website)

08/20/18 - Hard copy NOA2 received

09/04/18 -  Case received at NVC

09/05/18 -  NVC Case number assigned

09/20/18 - Embassy Received Case “Ready”

10/01/18 - Medical Exam Appointment

10/03/18 - Interview Appointment - Approved pending Medical Exam test results

12/14/18 - Visa Received

12/24/18 - POE to USA (Detroit)

03/03/19 - Wedding!

event.png

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Maybe this is the sort of situation when a Congressperson could help.

See above

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.