Ksamwise20

Remote job while overseas - Canada

3 posts in this topic

HI all, mods please move to the Canada boards if its more appropriate but I figure my situation might be the same for other countries as well.

I am USC married to a Canadian citizen for past 10+ yrs and continuing to live in Canada while we file I-130. 

I've been a stay at home parent  for the past several years but my background is in software engineering. I'm applying for jobs now and see things have changed so much in terms of remote work. I was wondering if I could work remotely for a US company, file US taxes there and how that might strengthen my intent to re-establish domicile? Would I put my parents address (where my banking mail and cc statements still go) or my Canadian address? Has anyone done this or is doing this and how does it work tax wise? 
I will talk to a cross border tax pro soon but just wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar situation. 
Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have no idea how Canadian taxes work, but yes if you are employed form your U S address and have a date to go back that sounds very positive

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ksamwise20 said:

HI all, mods please move to the Canada boards if its more appropriate but I figure my situation might be the same for other countries as well.

I am USC married to a Canadian citizen for past 10+ yrs and continuing to live in Canada while we file I-130. 

I've been a stay at home parent  for the past several years but my background is in software engineering. I'm applying for jobs now and see things have changed so much in terms of remote work. I was wondering if I could work remotely for a US company, file US taxes there and how that might strengthen my intent to re-establish domicile? Would I put my parents address (where my banking mail and cc statements still go) or my Canadian address? Has anyone done this or is doing this and how does it work tax wise? 
I will talk to a cross border tax pro soon but just wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar situation. 
Thanks in advance!

It's possible but taxes are messy. You'll have an easier time if you go the independent contractor route or can get your company to do Canadian withholdings.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.