Mike20090622

NVC said we can change interview embassy for Russian

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I just called NVC and discussed the situation with Poland stopped issuing any visas to Russian and called for all EU countries to do the same, the staff said I can change a interview location, which one is good? Istanbul? Armenia? Or Kazakhstan?

A couple of things:

1. Can you provide a source that states that Russians can no longer acquire Shengen visas? 
  2. Is NVC saying they're going to hold your petition then instead of sending it along to the designated Embassy for processing k1 petitions (which at this time is Warsaw, Poland)?
  3. I believe you're free to contact any embassy you want and ask them if they'll accept your k1 petition for processing, but it doesn't mean they're going to say yes. Have you reached out to any of the embassies you mentioned and asked if they're willing to accept your case?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, C@m said:

A couple of things:

1. Can you provide a source that states that Russians can no longer acquire Shengen visas? 
  2. Is NVC saying they're going to hold your petition then instead of sending it along to the designated Embassy for processing k1 petitions (which at this time is Warsaw, Poland)?
  3. I believe you're free to contact any embassy you want and ask them if they'll accept your k1 petition for processing, but it doesn't mean they're going to say yes. Have you reached out to any of the embassies you mentioned and asked if they're willing to accept your case?

I didn’t say no Schengen visa needed for Russian, it’s our own responsibility to figure out an interview embassy for Russia citizens K visa? Or NVC can assign one for us?

1. You don't need Poland to issue a visa. Poland is part of the Shengen region, thus any visa issued by a Shengen country is sufficient to travel to Poland. Many have been obtaining visas from Greece, Italy, or Hungary.

2. The NVC will automatically mail your approved Russian K1 petition to the designated Embassy for Russian K1 Visas, which is Warsaw, Poland as of right now.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mike20090622 said:

I didn’t say no Schengen visa needed for Russian, it’s our own responsibility to figure out an interview embassy for Russia citizens K visa? Or NVC can assign one for us?

I think I see the problem. NVC agreed with you, essentially, that designating Russians for Warsaw was burdensome and offered you the ability to look into transferring elsewhere. As @C@m said, however, NVC won't actually send your petition there unless the 'new' embassy agrees to take it. So, to answer your question: Russian citizens need to figure out the interview embassy themselves, otherwise they'll continue to be sent to Warsaw.

One thing I wonder, however, is if NVC will stop sending Russian packets period so that they don't get stuck in Warsaw. I would hope that someone at the State Department is considering alternatives right now, as you're correct this plan is no longer going to work. 

If I was you, Mike, I would try emailing/calling the embassies in Turkey, Armenia, and Georgia and see if they have updated guidance. Last we knew, these countries were not taking Russians and had no plans of doing so, but perhaps NVC has gotten new guidance that they'll be more amenable. Bottom line is that, if you simply cannot get a Schengen visa or it'll be near impossible to do so, Russians, somewhere and somehow, are going to need to find a new embassy. Until the State Department gets around to that, though, I think it's your burden to do so. 😕 

As an aside, K1 appointments for Warsaw are now in November, which really puzzles me as there are now even less people who can make it there. Not really sure who keep filling up the calendar...

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Timeline
34 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

I think I see the problem. NVC agreed with you, essentially, that designating Russians for Warsaw was burdensome and offered you the ability to look into transferring elsewhere. As @C@m said, however, NVC won't actually send your petition there unless the 'new' embassy agrees to take it. So, to answer your question: Russian citizens need to figure out the interview embassy themselves, otherwise they'll continue to be sent to Warsaw.

One thing I wonder, however, is if NVC will stop sending Russian packets period so that they don't get stuck in Warsaw. I would hope that someone at the State Department is considering alternatives right now, as you're correct this plan is no longer going to work. 

If I was you, Mike, I would try emailing/calling the embassies in Turkey, Armenia, and Georgia and see if they have updated guidance. Last we knew, these countries were not taking Russians and had no plans of doing so, but perhaps NVC has gotten new guidance that they'll be more amenable. Bottom line is that, if you simply cannot get a Schengen visa or it'll be near impossible to do so, Russians, somewhere and somehow, are going to need to find a new embassy. Until the State Department gets around to that, though, I think it's your burden to do so. 😕 

As an aside, K1 appointments for Warsaw are now in November, which really puzzles me as there are now even less people who can make it there. Not really sure who keep filling up the calendar...

Did you schedule your interview date and medical examination date? I probably call these embassies to find out

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Mike20090622 said:

Did you schedule your interview date and medical examination date? I probably call these embassies to find out

Yes, I scheduled both the interview and medical exam myself; Warsaw doesn't 'give' any dates to K1 applicants, you handle it yourself. But again, even if you have an appointment, Warsaw will cancel your appointment if they haven't sent out the instructions to you before that date. I am not sure how Kazakhstan/Armenia/Georgia/Turkey handles things.

You had asked previously about what would be the best embassy to send the packet to, if you could do so. My first guess would be Nur-Sultan, though they previously declined to accept a Russian transfer. I say this only because Kazakhstan had two visa centers that remained open throughout most of COVID and were actually quite busy for tourist visas this whole time (but wouldn't take renewals... grr!).

I agree that calling other embassies is a good idea. One thing I wonder, perhaps, is if the Russia filers can get together to try to petition the State Department to change the designation. A lot has changed since making it Warsaw (arguably, it wasn't good in the first place), so I wonder what it would take to get official action. If NVC even seemed 'receptive' over the phone, chances are even they're uncomfortable sending them to Poland. NVC is more aware of these things than one might think, when I mentioned my fiancee was from Belarus they immediately went to make sure she wasn't going to Frankfurt - and this was like a day after the announcement. They're quite on the ball.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Yes, I scheduled both the interview and medical exam myself; Warsaw doesn't 'give' any dates to K1 applicants, you handle it yourself. But again, even if you have an appointment, Warsaw will cancel your appointment if they haven't sent out the instructions to you before that date. I am not sure how Kazakhstan/Armenia/Georgia/Turkey handles things.

You had asked previously about what would be the best embassy to send the packet to, if you could do so. My first guess would be Nur-Sultan, though they previously declined to accept a Russian transfer. I say this only because Kazakhstan had two visa centers that remained open throughout most of COVID and were actually quite busy for tourist visas this whole time (but wouldn't take renewals... grr!).

I agree that calling other embassies is a good idea. One thing I wonder, perhaps, is if the Russia filers can get together to try to petition the State Department to change the designation. A lot has changed since making it Warsaw (arguably, it wasn't good in the first place), so I wonder what it would take to get official action. If NVC even seemed 'receptive' over the phone, chances are even they're uncomfortable sending them to Poland. NVC is more aware of these things than one might think, when I mentioned my fiancee was from Belarus they immediately went to make sure she wasn't going to Frankfurt - and this was like a day after the announcement. They're quite on the ball.

Did you schedule November? It’s crazy, 7 months to go? Not make much sense, I emailed Kazakhstan and Armenia embassy and they will reply in two days, I saw Armenia embassy is handling Iran K visas 

37 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

My first guess would be Nur-Sultan, though they previously declined to accept a Russian transfer.

Embassy in Nur-Sultan only handles non-immigrant visas. The Immigrant visa unit which processes K1s is in Almaty.

Kazakhstan has always been unwilling to accept transfers. The only 2 or 3 successful transfers I have seen were for a spousal visa. Doesn’t hurt to try but I wouldn’t count on it too much considering past experiences 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**One post removed for containing personal info. If you wish to share info, please send a personal message.**

VJ Moderation

:ot2:

8 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Kazakhstan has always been unwilling to accept transfers. The only 2 or 3 successful transfers I have seen were for a spousal visa. Doesn’t hurt to try but I wouldn’t count on it too much considering past experiences 

Exactly. I also would not just assume because the NVC said it that it's set in stone. The embassies must accept on their own accord. I've not seen any news at all that every single Schengen country stopped issuing visas to Russians. Poland can say that and ask for it but it doesn't mean it's fact or policy.

Now if Poland just shuts down their border to Russians, that's different. If you can provide a source of any of this news, that would help a lot.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
2 hours ago, powerpuff said:

Embassy in Nur-Sultan only handles non-immigrant visas. The Immigrant visa unit which processes K1s is in Almaty.

Ah, thank you for the clarification! I know this only checks for non-immigrant, but I looked on the State Department's visa wait times and noted that Nur-Sultan was far faster than Almaty; incorrectly put 2+2 together and assumed that the capital must be where they process immigrant visas. Silly me! :)

2 hours ago, millefleur said:

Exactly. I also would not just assume because the NVC said it that it's set in stone. The embassies must accept on their own accord. I've not seen any news at all that every single Schengen country stopped issuing visas to Russians. Poland can say that and ask for it but it doesn't mean it's fact or policy.

Now if Poland just shuts down their border to Russians, that's different. If you can provide a source of any of this news, that would help a lot.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I guess I just presumed that, perhaps, there was something going on behind-the-scenes we weren't aware of that NVC was privy to. But the standard has always been requiring embassy approval for transfer, and until that procedure changes and we're all informed of it, looks like OP will need to petition Almaty and other similar embassies themselves. Although, as Powerpuff said, the likelihood of this is slim unless there's a new directive. Who knows? We all assumed Russians weren't eligible for war expedites and suddenly they were. As was, apparently, someone from Finland who cited solely "Russia" and got approved. Happened in the April 2021 thread, iirc.

I doubt Poland will shut their border to Russians, but I can most certainly see them not making travel easy. I always thought their refusal to recognize Sputnik was representative of that, caused a lot of problems for even Belarusians who needed to get across. 

Edited by slavaskii

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Who knows? We all assumed Russians weren't eligible for war expedites and suddenly they were. As was, apparently, someone from Finland who cited solely "Russia" and got approved. Happened in the April 2021 thread, iirc.

I agree, worth reaching out to the embassies for sure. It doesn't hurt. I just don't expect a top down policy change anytime soon. I think they will keep Warsaw designated for Russians for now, but don't be afraid to ask other embassies for a transfer. If you can get a "yes" then absolutely go for it, especially if NVC is saying it's doable.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.