lalove

Address change questions (split, merged)

28 posts in this topic

I have a question about changing the address with USCIS/SSA etc. after POE. The address I provided at POE when asked for "where do you want your green card mailed" was my relative's address where I got to when I just arrived in the U.S. I am going to be living at a place in the same city soon. My question is that I am totally OK with keeping the same relative's address for my green card if that address is just considered "mailing address". But myUSCIS asks me to notify USCIS when I move "If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address." (guessing this is only applicable for mailing address and actual residence can be different?). If I am REQUIRED to provide my actual physical address when it changes, I can do that but I really prefer that it is mailed to my relative's address as the mail delivery is more trustworthy over there.

To summarize:

1. Can I keep my relative's address as the mailing address for my green card and SSN docs?

2. Do I REALLY need to update the mailing address to my actual physical address despite my preference for the mailing address?

3. Does the petitioner also have to update her mailing/physical address with USCIS/any other agency?

4. If yes to 2 and/or 3, what is the time limit to inform USCIS/SSA after the move?

Thanks!

Edited by lalove

• Ontarkie changed the title to Address change questions (split)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post split off from Visa Process thread to its own thread and moved to General Immigration Discussion.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

18 hours ago, lalove said:

what is the time limit to inform USCIS/SSA after the move?

The requirement is to notify USCIS of the address change within 10 days of your move.  But in your case, it might be safer to file the AR-11 only after you receive your plastic GC.  Your sponsor(s) also have to update their address by filing form I-865.

21 hours ago, Chancy said:

The requirement is to notify USCIS of the address change within 10 days of your move.  But in your case, it might be safer to file the AR-11 only after you receive your plastic GC.  Your sponsor(s) also have to update their address by filing form I-865.

I have got this advice from so may folks to basically ignore the 10 day requirement, and wait for the plastic green card to arrive and then change the address via AR-11. But, if I am confident that I have access to both mailboxes, should I just go ahead and change the address now. Is there any risk that if I change address now, USCIS won't ship my green card at all? As long as they ship it to one of the addresses (old or new), I will be able to get it. So, is there really any risk in just going ahead and updating it?

Also, for i-865 for the sponsor, what is the worst impact of not filing in timely manner? Looks like worst that can happen is a civil fine, but no impact on the immigrant's status/green card? I am correct in this understanding or can they take my green card away if my sponsor does not file timely i-865 and is delayed?

*** Removed related thread.  Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

27 minutes ago, lalove said:

My spouse filed an i-864 for me when we both lived abroad. I recently learned that as a sponsor my spouse needs to file i-865 to report change of address with USCIS within 30 days of the address change. Reading the i-865 instructions, it says:

"If at any time in the past you completed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, to sponsor an immigrant, you are required to report your change of address within 30 days of the change if the sponsorship agreement is still in force."

1. When does the sponsorship agreement come in to force (and hence requirement to file i-865 start)? When the immigrant enters the U.S. and get their immigrant visa stamped or as soon as the sponsors submits the i-864 to NVC?

2. Can a late submission of i-865 result in revocation of LPR status for the immigrant? or the worst possible outcome is a penalty for sponsor, that too if immigrant ever uses means tested benefits?

Thanks!

1.  The I-864 came in to force when you became an LPR, ie. the moment CBP stamped your passport when you entered the US with your immigrant visa.

2.  No, late filing of I-865 will not result in revocation of your LPR status.

2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

*** Removed related thread.  Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

1.  The I-864 came in to force when you became an LPR, ie. the moment CBP stamped your passport when you entered the US with your immigrant visa.

2.  No, late filing of I-865 will not result in revocation of your LPR status.

Thank you @Chancy. If I may follow-up:

1. Then in our case technically, we moved to our relative's address for the day we entered the U.S. (gave relative's address for green card mailing address), and moved to a new address next day. Does my spouse need to file two i-865s for each address or just one with our latest address?

2. Also, for AR-11, I fail to see the harm in just updating the new address. Unless USCIS completely stops shipping my green card due to address change, the way I see it we should be fine. As long as they ship to the new or old address, I should be good. Is there a risk, they may significantly delay the green card mailing or not mail at all if address is changed now?

3. Finally, tying points 1 and 2 together I wonder if it is best to file both AR-11 and i-865 with our latest address together for consistency so our address history is similar, in case it matters for naturalization application later?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, lalove said:

Does my spouse need to file two i-865s for each address or just one with our latest address?

Just one I-865 with the latest address.

11 minutes ago, lalove said:

As long as they ship to the new or old address, I should be good.

If you are ok with getting your GC at either address, no risk in filing the AR-11 already.  You may file the AR-11 and I-865 at the same time, but not required.  See if the online address change option via myUSCIS would be better for you.  No option for I-865 online filing, only paper-filing via mail.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:55 PM, Chancy said:

The language on the online address change says one could be fined/jailed/removed if they do not file address change within 10 days. So I am not sure it is worth taking the risk.

I was looking at the online AR-11, and I do not see a drop down entry for "I-551" under the "Form", instead I see "OS155A", is this the one I should select? I entered the U.S. on an IR1 visa and I have the visa stamped. I am confused which form should I select to change my physical address?

On 4/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, Chancy said:

If you are ok with getting your GC at either address, no risk in filing the AR-11 already.  You may file the AR-11 and I-865 at the same time, but not required.  See if the online address change option via myUSCIS would be better for you.  No option for I-865 online filing, only paper-filing via mail.

I was looking at the online AR-11, and I do not see a drop down entry for "I-551" under the "Form", instead I see "OS155A", is this the one I should select? I entered the U.S. on an IR1 visa and I have the visa stamped. I am confused which form should I select to change my physical address?

1 hour ago, lalove said:

The language on the online address change says one could be fined/jailed/removed if they do not file address change within 10 days. So I am not sure it is worth taking the risk.

Which language are you referring to?  Is this the page you're looking at?  https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/addressChange.do

No, you won't be jailed or deported simply because of late filing of AR-11.  But like I said, if you are ok with getting your GC at either address, go ahead and file AR-11 already.  Instructions on the page linked above says to select form number "OS155A".

3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Which language are you referring to?  Is this the page you're looking at?  https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/addressChange.do

No, you won't be jailed or deported simply because of late filing of AR-11.  But like I said, if you are ok with getting your GC at either address, go ahead and file AR-11 already.  Instructions on the page linked above says to select form number "OS155A".

I just went ahead and filed. Good thing is it lets me enter my physical address (which I need to update within 10 days), and still select a separate "mailing address". This is exactly what I did. Hoping that they don;t screw up and deliver it to my old address which I selected as the mailing address.

1. What I did (entering current physical address and a different mailing address), should be completely fine with USCIS, correct?

2. I heard in the past, just filing AR-11 did not update address for all pending applications etc. but now it explicitly asks for pending cases, which I provided by selecting "OS155A" and IOE number. So I should be all set?
3. I also changed my physical and mailing address on myUSCIS profile. It said there to change address via AR-11 and also change it here on myUSCIS profile. I did both. Do I need to change it anywhere else? I will call USCIS to confirm what they have on file, just to be sure.

4. Finally, after filing online AR-11 it let me download a filled copy of AR-11. Do I need to sign and physically mail this downloaded copy of AR-11?

Edited by lalove

1 hour ago, lalove said:

1. What I did (entering current physical address and a different mailing address), should be completely fine with USCIS, correct?

2. I heard in the past, just filing AR-11 did not update address for all pending applications etc. but now it explicitly asks for pending cases, which I provided by selecting "OS155A" and IOE number. So I should be all set?
3. I also changed my physical and mailing address on myUSCIS profile. It said there to change address via AR-11 and also change it here on myUSCIS profile. I did both. Do I need to change it anywhere else? I will call USCIS to confirm what they have on file, just to be sure.

4. Finally, after filing online AR-11 it let me download a filled copy of AR-11. Do I need to sign and physically mail this downloaded copy of AR-11?

1.  Yes.

2.  Yes.  Sometimes USCIS makes mistakes.  All we can do is to fill out the forms completely and accurately.

3.  Calling USCIS would be a good idea.  No guarantee your address change will be reflected immediately in their system, but it won't hurt to check.

4.  No need to mail the form if you already filed online.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 9:51 PM, Chancy said:

1.  Yes.

2.  Yes.  Sometimes USCIS makes mistakes.  All we can do is to fill out the forms completely and accurately.

3.  Calling USCIS would be a good idea.  No guarantee your address change will be reflected immediately in their system, but it won't hurt to check.

4.  No need to mail the form if you already filed online.

Quick follow-up questions

- Can I send physically signed i-865 via FedEX/UPS or only USPS? If via USPS, what is their fastest/overnight acknowledged delivery service called?
- Do I need to staple all pages?

- Does mail-in date need to be within 30 days or receipt date?

- In rare case they reject i-865 (I have seen that happen I think here on VJ), the sponsor would have still met their obligation to file within 30 days, right? The refile could be done ASAP but to me seems like original one was filed in time so USCIS rejecting it should not mean that sponsor did not meet their obligation?

I have about 7 days left before the 30 day limit for filing i-865 after moving. I will be sending it via FedEx/UPS (guessing sending via non-USPS mail is allowed?). I am curious what happens if USCIS rejects the form for some mistake etc. (leaving a field blank instead of N/A)? Do we get another 30 days to refile since the date of rejection or we will be considered to not have filed in time is the form is rejected?

Thanks!

Edited by lalove

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, lalove said:

I have about 7 days left before the 30 day limit for filing i-865 after moving. I will be sending it via FedEx/UPS (guessing sending via non-USPS mail is allowed?). I am curious what happens if USCIS rejects the form for some mistake etc. (leaving a field blank instead of N/A)? Do we get another 30 days to refile since the date of rejection or we will be considered to not have filed in time is the form is rejected?

Thanks!

Never heard of an I 865 being “ rejected”. Like the beneficiary’s  AR11( change of address) it is only a notification to USCIS, not an application 

3 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Never heard of an I 865 being “ rejected”. Like the beneficiary’s  AR11( change of address) it is only a notification to USCIS, not an application 

One would think so, but I remember one thread where someone said their i-865 was rejected and they sent a new one with a cover letter. I am just curious in such case, would the requirement of filing within 30 days be considered met since the original form was sent within the 30 day time limit?

also, sending via FedEx/UPS is ok, right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.