Proactiv1

What supporting evidence for Affidavit of Support I-134 form for K-1 visa?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What all documents to be submitted for the evidence of support for K-1 visa apart from below? How much the embassy scrutinize this document (I'm not trying to fake any part of this document)? Also, can I digitally sign this document or have to be printed and physically signed?

image.thumb.png.245571d0d6995882703c6b479100c0a3.png

Edited by Proactiv1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

90 days of pay stubs 

most recent tax return 

Different COs / embassies give I-134 different scrutiny.  On the whole, my observation is that I-134 scrutiny is lax, and it is I-864 for I-485 where the tough scrutiny starts. 

A. Banks refuse to type up old fashioned “ Account Verification “ and almost NO ONE submits them

( if u have money in the bank, send a couple of statements, otherwise NO) 

B. A job Letter is excellent ( having a job is better) GET ONE if u  For small co , u help them write it, for big co, ask HR.

( Mr. Romeo is currently employed  as x and earns $ y per hour . He is a full time employee and averages 40 hrs wk…) 

2 ( two current paystubs) to back it up and 

Taxes w W-2 , 1099(?) 

For the I-134 u need to make 100% of the poverty guidelines  ( for I-864  125%)

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Timeline
12 hours ago, Mike E said:

90 days of pay stubs 

most recent tax return 

Different COs / embassies give I-134 different scrutiny.  On the whole, my observation is that I-134 scrutiny is lax, and it is I-864 for I-485 where the tough scrutiny starts. 

Thanks Mike. Even though it's not mentioned in the list of supporting evidence the US embassy can ask for 90 days worth of paystubs?

Timeline
11 hours ago, Family said:

A. Banks refuse to type up old fashioned “ Account Verification “ and almost NO ONE submits them

( if u have money in the bank, send a couple of statements, otherwise NO) 

B. A job Letter is excellent ( having a job is better) GET ONE if u  For small co , u help them write it, for big co, ask HR.

( Mr. Romeo is currently employed  as x and earns $ y per hour . He is a full time employee and averages 40 hrs wk…) 

2 ( two current paystubs) to back it up and 

Taxes w W-2 , 1099(?) 

For the I-134 u need to make 100% of the poverty guidelines  ( for I-864  125%)

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Thanks. I'm going with the bank letter for now as I'm in between jobs. Unfortunately I lost my job 2 weeks back so cannot do the employment verification letter. I requested my bank and waiting for them to respond.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Proactiv1 said:

Thanks Mike. Even though it's not mentioned in the list of supporting evidence the US embassy can ask for 90 days worth of paystubs?

I know of nothing in INA that says an embassy cannot ask for this evidence. I assumed it would and provided it to my fiancée. 

If there is reticence to produce this, then it doesn’t bode well for the I-485 phase of beneficiary’s visa journey.  It is best if the K-1 couples applies I-864 standards and assumptions to the I-134 experience 

2 hours ago, Proactiv1 said:

Thanks. I'm going with the bank letter for now as I'm in between jobs. Unfortunately I lost my job 2 weeks back so cannot do the employment verification letter. I requested my bank and waiting for them to respond.

If you are unemployed and no current income, get some else to do I-134….don’t know what $$ is in your bank but u would need at least five times the required income..

Timeline

For K-1 visa the requirement is 100% the federal poverty line for I-134 and for I-485 it is 125%. The present federal poverty line is $27.8K so I don't know about having five times this amount in the bank account for K-1. I got this from the US Gov website.

image.thumb.png.4fb9cc6269d9553deb655c77ef94fff1.png

image.png.b1c6792e01e403f8c2e9c16831804d2e.png

14 minutes ago, Proactiv1 said:

The present federal poverty line is $27.8K so I don't know about having five times this amount in the bank account for K-1. I got this from the US Gov website.

When using assets only, they need to be much higher than the poverty guidelines.

When assets are used, the assets must equal 5 times the difference between the annual income and the needed 125% of the poverty level (or 100% in your case), this is because the affidavit is in effect for 5 years. For instance, if you needed $15,500 income and had an annual income of $13,500, you would need an extra $2,000 of assets for 5 years, or a total of $10,000 in assets in addition to your income. In general, if you are deficient on yearly income for sponsorship and your assets are somewhat borderline, do not take chances--have a co-sponsor. If you do not have a job or a steady income from other sources (such as retirement income), you will likely have to get a co-sponsor for your spouse, even if your assets are adequate. The USCIS looks VERY CLOSELY at current income and not just the assets.

check.gif   While there are no specific income requirements listed in the I-134 form directions, you will be judged by the same criteria as the I-864 form requirements when they are issuing the visa at the foreign US consulate, so provide financial information for the I-134 with those guidelines in mind.”

That is to show “ income “ , but unemployment your current income is 0. And to use assets then 5x . 

BUT your fiancée is UKRAINIAN ( ?) and I am hoping much discretion is given …especially given todays announcements of President Biden United Ukrainian …and ref to US Sponsors https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/politics/biden-administration-ukraine-refugees/index.html

Hope you get responses from those that just had interviews or VJ Members with other resources 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

When using assets only, they need to be much higher than the poverty guidelines.

When assets are used, the assets must equal 5 times the difference between the annual income and the needed 125% of the poverty level (or 100% in your case), this is because the affidavit is in effect for 5 years. For instance, if you needed $15,500 income and had an annual income of $13,500, you would need an extra $2,000 of assets for 5 years, or a total of $10,000 in assets in addition to your income. In general, if you are deficient on yearly income for sponsorship and your assets are somewhat borderline, do not take chances--have a co-sponsor. If you do not have a job or a steady income from other sources (such as retirement income), you will likely have to get a co-sponsor for your spouse, even if your assets are adequate. The USCIS looks VERY CLOSELY at current income and not just the assets.

check.gif   While there are no specific income requirements listed in the I-134 form directions, you will be judged by the same criteria as the I-864 form requirements when they are issuing the visa at the foreign US consulate, so provide financial information for the I-134 with those guidelines in mind.”

Ok, got it. I'm sponsoring my fiance and her two kids too so I need to have 3 of these I-134 forms filled and signed or just one? I already have her kids listed along with her in the I-134.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.