Atc05

Rescheduling Visa interview

15 posts in this topic

After a year of waiting my wife and daughter finally attended their interview today. unfortunately the didnt pass due to the interviewer not wanting to speak Russian. she was told to schedule another interview. its very demoralizing obviously. my question is once we get our second interview will we be able to ensure that we have the interview in russian? a friend that had an interview at the same time was given the choice of language. so it seems were not lucky. thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The interviewer didn't want to speak Russian?  or the interviewer doesn’t speak Russian? Which is which? 

Since, you said a friend was interviewed in Russian shows the USEM does give option to be interviewed in Russian.

Create a timeline of your case so you can get a more targeted response.

48 minutes ago, Atc05 said:

Sorry, The interviewer did speak Russian but told her she would only do that Interview in English. i will work on the timeline.

Obviously the interview did not take place in Russia, since there is no US consulate there.  Why would you assume the consular officer would speak Russian?

2 hours ago, Atc05 said:

my question is once we get our second interview will we be able to ensure that we have the interview in russian?

Bring a qualified language interpreter.  Consulates are not required to provide interviews in languages other than English or the national/regional languages of the location.

53 minutes ago, Atc05 said:

Sorry, The interviewer did speak Russian but told her she would only do that Interview in English. i will work on the timeline.

Where did the interview take place?

Generally only certain languages are offered at a consulate (English and the languages spoken in the country). 

If Russian is not an official language in the country she interviewed at she will need to obtain her own interpreter and inform USEM an interpreter will accompany her (or at least this is what happens at most consulates). 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am confused.  Some folks are referencing USEM, but the OPs previous posts indicated the foreign spouse is from Kazakhstan and they returned there, so where was the interview located?  If Kazakhstan, Russian is an official language, so I am surprised the CO would not conduct the interview in Russian if that is where the interview was conducted.

Regardless, it looks like a new interview needs to be scheduled, and I would either set up an interpreter, or plan to do the interview in English.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Dashinka said:

I am confused.  Some folks are referencing USEM, but the OPs previous posts indicated the foreign spouse is from Kazakhstan and they returned there, so where was the interview located?  If Kazakhstan, Russian is an official language, so I am surprised the CO would not conduct the interview in Russian if that is where the interview was conducted.

Regardless, it looks like a new interview needs to be scheduled, and I would either set up an interpreter, or plan to do the interview in English.

Good Luck!

Yes, the interview was in Kazakhstan. Thanks for the information, I’ll definitely start trying to set up an interpreter.

I genuinely didn’t expect this to be a problem. Live and learn I guess.

1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

Good Luck!

I thought USEM stood for US Embassy? 

1 hour ago, Atc05 said:

Yes, the interview was in Kazakhstan. Thanks for the information, I’ll definitely start trying to set up an interpreter.

Now we know the location of the interview. Did the friend have a choice of interviewing in Russian or English or was it English and another language?

Or was no choice offered?

I'm surprised Russian wasn't offered as a choice but... 

I have heard of some COs being a little harsh when the beneficiary opts to speak in their home language and suggests they should interview in English. They believe the USC is not conversant/able to speak the beneficiary's language and insinuate the relationship isn't bonafide. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Was reading through reviews and it seems like someone in 2020 and 2015 had a similar experiences...

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?trim=no&cty=&cnty=Kazakhstan&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline
2 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

I thought USEM stood for US Embassy? 

Now we know the location of the interview. Did the friend have a choice of interviewing in Russian or English or was it English and another language?

Or was no choice offered?

I'm surprised Russian wasn't offered as a choice but... 

I have heard of some COs being a little harsh when the beneficiary opts to speak in their home language and suggests they should interview in English. They believe the USC is not conversant/able to speak the beneficiary's language and insinuate the relationship isn't bonafide. 

For some reason, I see the USEM used in threads associated with cases from the Philippines.  I thought it stood for US Embassy Manila.  :)

It is interesting that Russian was not an option.  Kazakhstan has two official languages, Kazakh and Russian.  Maybe it was just a CO having a bad day.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Atc05 said:

That is a real pita.  Back when my then fiancé interviewed in Moscow (c. 2014), she was given the option to interview in English or Russian.  She actually chose English even though at that time her English skills were just coming back to her.  

Anyway, Good Luck!

9 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

For some reason, I see the USEM used in threads associated with cases from the Philippines.  I thought it stood for US Embassy Manila.  :)

It is interesting that Russian was not an option.  Kazakhstan has two official languages, Kazakh and Russian.  Maybe it was just a CO having a bad day.

Was reading through the reviews for Kazakhstan and two people (one in 2020 and another in 2015) also were told NO RUSSIAN only English... so 🤷‍♀️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Was reading through the reviews for Kazakhstan and two people (one in 2020 and another in 2015) also were told NO RUSSIAN only English... so 🤷‍♀️

In our embassy the interview offers French,  Arabic or English

the big BUT is the CO(s) expect immigrants to prove their English skills and interview in that language

they will deny a K1 or CR1 without telling the person that he/she should use English

the 221 g just says denied for poor or no English skills usually accompanied by another issue

they do allow tourist visa interviews like my MIL to do Arabic with no issues 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.