Nate Milhoan

AOS and FBI Background Check

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Firstly, thanks to everyone who respond in this forum. I have learned SO MUCH and could not have got to this point without this forum's guidance. THANK YOU!

My fiancee now has her K-1 interview appointment and we are starting to prepare for the last few steps of this process. She is telling me that I need to write an AOS letter and have it apostilled as well as getting an FBI background fingerprint document. I can't find these requirements in any of the official document requests, but I also know that sometimes the fates of would-be airplane passengers can be in the hands of an immigration officer that wants to see additional documents. 

Should I work on obtaining these documents or is she getting bad advice from her FB forums?

Edited by Nate Milhoan
Clarification

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Nate Milhoan said:

She is telling me that I need to write an AOS letter and have it apostilled as well as getting an FBI background fingerprint document.

Not true....Where is she getting this stuff?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

FB is not reliable.......VJ is the best source for accurate info.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

FB is not reliable.......VJ is the best source for accurate info.

OK. This is what I thought, but I don't want to mess this up in the 11th hour. I don't know what FB groups she is in. I just don't want to start our lives together by me not listening to her and screwing things up! THANKS!!!!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Nate Milhoan said:

OK. This is what I thought, but I don't want to mess this up in the 11th hour. I don't know what FB groups she is in. I just don't want to start our lives together by me not listening to her and screwing things up! THANKS!!!!

Maybe she should join VJ.  She, obviously, is not getting accurate information from FB.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Your best approach is to read the guide here in VJ, and also read any instructions the embassy might have sent, if any. FB is full of crappy info.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 hour ago, Nate Milhoan said:

She is telling me that I need to write an AOS letter and have

Perhaps she meant to say I-134 Affidavit of Support..ref to Apostille may be that many still like to Notarize the form ( although not required now)…but as u indicate u are following a guide , you can assure her u are well prepared. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Immigration checks  the USC FBI report without us doing this

Tell her to go directly to the USCIS site for a summary of the process

the following site from USCIS  gives a step by step of the process where it says the following:

USCIS performs background checks* on both individuals as part of the Form I-129F adjudication.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/K1_Process_V11.pdf

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
22 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Immigration checks  the USC FBI report without us doing this

Tell her to go directly to the USCIS site for a summary of the process

the following site from USCIS  gives a step by step of the process where it says the following:

USCIS performs background checks* on both individuals as part of the Form I-129F adjudication.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/K1_Process_V11.pdf

Yes, she is aware and understand the US process for the visa. Her concern is not with US authorities or processes. She is concerned with the Philippines immigration services offloading her from her flight due to lack of documentation. Even with K-1 visa in hand, she is scared that she will no be able to produce all the documents required for her to make the trip to the US. I think she is hearing horror stories on her FB group. But I believe they are more related to tourist visas and not the K-1 visa.

Thanks to everyone who has reassured me! I am so excited that we are finally at this stage. Its been a couple of years since we originally applied and I know it will be well worth the prolonged wait!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Nate Milhoan said:

Yes, she is aware and understand the US process for the visa. Her concern is not with US authorities or processes. She is concerned with the Philippines immigration services offloading her from her flight due to lack of documentation. Even with K-1 visa in hand, she is scared that she will no be able to produce all the documents required for her to make the trip to the US. I think she is hearing horror stories on her FB group. But I believe they are more related to tourist visas and not the K-1 visa.

Thanks to everyone who has reassured me! I am so excited that we are finally at this stage. Its been a couple of years since we originally applied and I know it will be well worth the prolonged wait!

we all know that anxiety 

the process is rough 

she should join and read posts from other in the philippines 

and it also helps when she comes to find a local group of philippine immigrants to help the transit here in the US/ my former philippine neighbor found one and attended several functions with them

Timeline

when i 1st started this process i ,  too,  joined a FB page

it was so misinformed that i deleted it 

one post said u could get a K1 interview in just 2 months and suggested paying CO's at the embassy

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

14 hours ago, Nate Milhoan said:

I'm part of a few of those FB groups. The problem with those groups is usually 1) the poster does not always clarify what visa type they are applying for / what stage of the process they are in AND 2) a lot of the commenters do NOT bother to understand the full context of the question, and do not tailor their responses accordingly. Result: misinformation and fearmongering.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:16 PM, Nate Milhoan said:

She is concerned with the Philippines immigration services offloading her from her flight due to lack of documentation. Even with K-1 visa in hand, she is scared that she will no be able to produce all the documents required for her to make the trip to the US. I think she is hearing horror stories on her FB group. But I believe they are more related to tourist visas and not the K-1 visa.

Correct.  For a K1 visa holder, the PH immigration officer at the airport will not care about an affidavit of support or FBI background check.  Don't waste your time and effort getting those.  Tell your fiancee not to worry about offloading, as long as she has a valid K1 visa and CFO certificate.  If she does not have a valid CFO certificate or sticker to present to the BI officer, she will get offloaded.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:33 AM, Adventine said:

I'm part of a few of those FB groups. The problem with those groups is usually 1) the poster does not always clarify what visa type they are applying for / what stage of the process they are in AND 2) a lot of the commenters do NOT bother to understand the full context of the question, and do not tailor their responses accordingly. Result: misinformation and fearmongering.

Not to mention they may post a question or a response In a different language. So the question may not be fully thought out and the responses are less than ideal. Also the admin of the page may be posting or adding stuff that might not be true.

There are many pages like these above. There was one where both I and another poster on here got banned from because he was posting stuff that was flat out wrong

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.