An D

Passport Married Name Question

9 posts in this topic

After a marriage broad, is it possible to get a Philippines passport in your married name before there is a PSA marriage certificate available? 

The marriage is in the process of being reported through a Philippines consulate, just wondering if it's possible whatsoever to get the passport with the married name sooner than it takes for them to process the Report of Marriage. For example maybe presenting the Report of Marriage form? If you can do that, does it have to be an original signed and notarized by both the husband and wife, or could it just be a version only signed and notarized by the spouse in the Philippines, or could it be a scan of one signed and notarized by both?  

Same question for a Postal ID. 

Or do you just have to wait until the report of marriage is complete and there is a PSA certificate, to obtain either in your married name?

17 minutes ago, An D said:

maybe presenting the Report of Marriage form?

At the minimum, it has to be the ROM paperwork with stamp/acknowledgement from the PH consulate.  It might also help to present a print-out of an email from DFA Manila's Consular Records Division with your ROM transmittal record.  Then hope that the DFA staff checking the passport requirements will accept those, in lieu of the ROM on PSA paper.

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

At the minimum, it has to be the ROM paperwork with stamp/acknowledgement from the PH consulate.  It might also help to present a print-out of an email from DFA Manila's Consular Records Division with your ROM transmittal record.  Then hope that the DFA staff checking the passport requirements will accept those, in lieu of the ROM on PSA paper.

How soon can you get the ROM paperwork from the PH consulate? Do they send it back to me after I submit all the documents? And then I would have to ship it to my wife in the Philippines? Mail isn't necessarily reliable when sending it there...just trying to figure out how to get her married name passport as soon as possible. 

On 4/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, An D said:

How soon can you get the ROM paperwork from the PH consulate? Do they send it back to me after I submit all the documents? And then I would have to ship it to my wife in the Philippines? Mail isn't necessarily reliable when sending it there...just trying to figure out how to get her married name passport as soon as possible. 

First off where are you two getting married, here or in the Philippines

32 minutes ago, An D said:

We're already married in the US, it was online but in person. 

Where is your wife now?  Not sure what "online but in person" means.

What is the urgency with getting the passport name changed?  My wife used her maiden name passport for quite some time after we were married.  No issues.

DFA in Angeles City told my wife she had to take the CFO seminar in order to change her passport name to the married name.  So she did.  However, we have since found out that DFA Angeles was wrong.  I know another case where DFA in another city asked for the CFO.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

9 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

What is the urgency with getting the passport name changed?  My wife used her maiden name passport for quite some time after we were married.  No issues.

DFA in Angeles City told my wife she had to take the CFO seminar in order to change her passport name to the married name.  So she did.  However, we have since found out that DFA Angeles was wrong.  I know another case where DFA in another city asked for the CFO.

It means it was an online ceremony that was attended while we were together in person since it had to be consummated in person anyway. 

Maybe it's not urgent but since we filled out I-130 with married name and maiden name under other names, if it gets far enough before we can get the passport name updated, we're not totally sure what will happen with the visa and GC. I think we would just prefer everything was updated. We definitely want to make sure the green card is in the married name. Wasn't sure if that meant the passport had to be at time of consulate interview. 

9 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

My wife's passport is still in her maiden name))) Travels with no issue with marriage cert.

Finally done...

7 hours ago, An D said:

We definitely want to make sure the green card is in the married name. Wasn't sure if that meant the passport had to be at time of consulate interview. 

To get your wife's married name on her GC immediately, the passport she submits at the visa interview must already list her married name.  It's ok even if that passport is issued to her by DFA just days before her interview at USEM.

No idea about the post-COVID timeframe for ROM processing.  In the meantime, try to get that email from DFA with your ROM transmittal record.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.