khan28

N-400 Interview appt for minor

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
29 minutes ago, khan28 said:

Eventhough letter only address myself for N-400 appt. does it also include my son?

Minors  who reside in the USA don’t naturalize.  Your son will automatically acquire USA citizenship when you take oath of citizenship provided  he has a green card, you have physical and legal custody of him, and he is still under age 18.  

Should I take him for the interview appt?

No

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Minors  who reside in the USA don’t naturalize.  Your son will automatically acquire USA citizenship when you take oath of citizenship provided  he has a green card, you have physical and legal custody of him, and he is still under age 18.  

No

When and how he will get it? Once I get my certificate, do I have to file N-600 for him?

Timeline
Just now, khan28 said:

When and how he will get it?

get what?

Just now, khan28 said:

Once I get my certificate, do I have to file N-600 for him?

First file for passport and passport card for him. Once you’ve successfully obtained those you should file N-600.  You only get one chance at N-600 so do the passport and passport card first so that you have all your evidence properly gathered.  

Timeline
On 3/24/2022 at 1:02 AM, Mike E said:

get what?

First file for passport and passport card for him. Once you’ve successfully obtained those you should file N-600.  You only get one chance at N-600 so do the passport and passport card first so that you have all your evidence properly gathered.  

Get his certificate so he can get passport also?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, khan28 said:

Get his certificate so he can get passport also?

Your naturalization certificate, his green card, his birth certificate, your marriage certificate, you evidence of physical and legal custody over him are what he needs to get a passport and passport card.  Once you have his passport and passport card, then file N-600 for him.  

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Your naturalization certificate, his green card, his birth certificate, your marriage certificate, you evidence of physical and legal custody over him are what he needs to get a passport and passport card.  Once you have his passport and passport card, then file N-600 for him.  

Per form DS-11 https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html  it is asking for citizenship evidence (green card is not listed)

Timeline
1 minute ago, khan28 said:

Per form DS-11 https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html  it is asking for citizenship evidence (green card is not listed)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents for your child, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.”

You don’t have a certificate of citizenship for your child.  Therefore you go to the Citizenship Evidence link:

Examples of Secondary Citizenship Evidence

Born Outside the United States?

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

• Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp”

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Mike E said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/under-16.html

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents for your child, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.”

You don’t have a certificate of citizenship for your child.  Therefore you go to the Citizenship Evidence link:

Examples of Secondary Citizenship Evidence

Born Outside the United States?

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

• Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp”

Thank you that clears everything

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.