satances

prepaid phone buy locally in manila?

11 posts in this topic

hello!

bit of a weird situation here, bear with me. im currently helping a close friend (i'll call him A) leave the philippines (dual citizen, travel stuff is taken care of). a mutual friend of ours is there now, visiting A and leaving with him next week. A has a phone with no SIM card and therefore no phone number or calling ability, in addition to that his phone is quite old and hardly functioning. A lives in mandaluyong and can't drive, but our mutual friend who is visiting the area and helping him can use the grab app. before A leaves the country, we want to get him a working smartphone so that he can complete the necessary COVID forms and requirements to leave the country, many of which require apps and a valid phone number. we're trying to figure out if there is a way we could, within the next week (preferrably ASAP!!), we could get a prepaid phone with a working phone number, no contract or anything. unfortunately, A is in an unhealthy house situation in which he can not frequently leave his home and hasn't had to do this before, so he is unsure of places that would carry such a thing or how it would work. we're having trouble finding solid information online about what stores do and don't carry these kinds of phones, and i don't want to send our mutual friend on a wild goose chase for no reason. any tips on what to do would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

For this airline, there are a number of forms that are required to be completed online related to COVID testing and contact tracing. The forms require phones because they require QR codes to be shown at testing and when departing, and they also ask for phone numbers in the forms themselves. I don't want there to be any issues with this...

Apologies for how clueless I am with this, none of us are really familiar with this process, step by step explanations would be very apprciated if possible. Are there any specific stores or malls? 

My mutual friend actually did get a SIM card upon arriving, but was told it would only have internet capabilities and no phone number or calling capability, which is weird and kind of defeated the purpose of why we needed it... sorry, I know this is a rather confusing game of telephone. Thank you for being patient with me ^_^;

Edited by satances

12 hours ago, satances said:

hello!

bit of a weird situation here, bear with me. im currently helping a close friend (i'll call him A) leave the philippines (dual citizen, travel stuff is taken care of). a mutual friend of ours is there now, visiting A and leaving with him next week. A has a phone with no SIM card and therefore no phone number or calling ability, in addition to that his phone is quite old and hardly functioning. A lives in mandaluyong and can't drive, but our mutual friend who is visiting the area and helping him can use the grab app. before A leaves the country, we want to get him a working smartphone so that he can complete the necessary COVID forms and requirements to leave the country, many of which require apps and a valid phone number. we're trying to figure out if there is a way we could, within the next week (preferrably ASAP!!), we could get a prepaid phone with a working phone number, no contract or anything. unfortunately, A is in an unhealthy house situation in which he can not frequently leave his home and hasn't had to do this before, so he is unsure of places that would carry such a thing or how it would work. we're having trouble finding solid information online about what stores do and don't carry these kinds of phones, and i don't want to send our mutual friend on a wild goose chase for no reason. any tips on what to do would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Hello,

If A can't leave the house, you might want to consider buying the phone,  sim card, and load (peso amount used for sms, minutes and data) online. Lazada and Shopee has plenty of smart phone available and they deliver. Just be mindful on the delivery dates.. but some might be able to deliver in 2-3 days. Hope this helps!

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

May 3, 2024: Ordered marriage certificate and death certificate from PSA online

May 9, 2024: Received email from PSA that marriage cert is blurred/eligible--will need 15 more days for reverification

May 22, 2024: Marriage Cert received from PSA (death cert was delivered 2 weeks earlier)

May 23, 2024: Uploaded new files to the CEAC website

May 29, 2024: Documentary Qualified

July 13, 2024: Expedite Request to NVC

July 15, 2024: NVC responded that it will forward the request to the embassy

July 16, 2024: Expedite request rejected by the embassy

If the issue is simply filling the relevant online forms and getting some QR codes needed for departure, one could just drop by an internet café and print whatever they need for a few pesos.  The Philippines does indeed seen to have some strange fixation with QR codes lately but they can just as easily be on paper as on a phone.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

11 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

The mutual friend is traveling with him and does not have a smartphone either?

Can I assume that A is a senior and not very literate on phone technology?  If so, even if you get him a phone, he might not understand how to use it, with such a short time to learn.    Can't the mutual friend cover the phone needs?  Is the mutual friend also a senior?

As others alluded, in the Philippines everyone has smartphones and they are sold everywhere.  And the pre-paid SIM cards are available everywhere including tiny mom and pop Sari Sari stores every 10 feet.  The vast majority of Filipinos use pre-paid SIMS.  As far as I know, they all have a phone number.

A and mutual friend are all young adults who know how to use phones just fine, A just has no experience physically going and buying a phone and everything. i mentioned earlier his unhealthy living situation - he's been forcibly sheltered from leaving his house often since he was a child, and this is one thing he just doesnt have much experience with. mutual friend is going to handle it! we have a week, he's gonna shop around on A's behalf to find one.

thank you everyone for your suggestions! fingers crossed that everything works out and my friend is able to leave safely ❤️

Getting a cell phone and a prepaid SIM in the Philippines is about as easy as buying rice, They should have no problem.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:02 PM, top_secret said:

If the issue is simply filling the relevant online forms and getting some QR codes needed for departure, one could just drop by an internet café and print whatever they need for a few pesos.  The Philippines does indeed seen to have some strange fixation with QR codes lately but they can just as easily be on paper as on a phone.

My wife had hers on the phone and I printed them. I don't think she showed her phone to anyone. This was PAL.

Finally done...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.