zman90

I-131 Question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Good morning all,

My now wife came to the US on a K-1 visa back in June 2021 and we got married in August 2021. We filed her I-485, I-765, and I-131 in September 2021 and in November 2021 we received a RFI and sent back all of the required documents (which ended up being documents we already sent with our initial package). In Jan 2022, we had her biometrics appointment and on the appointment letter it said the service center was NBC. We are constantly checking the USCIS website and it says "your case is actively being reviewed".

We had initially thought that getting the approval for her to be able to travel wouldn't take that long, but it seems I was wrong. I am checking the case processing times and it says 9 to 12.5 months. Is this the standard? I am quite amazed that our partners aren't able to go home and see their families for over a year and a half after coming here. We were hoping to go visit her family sometime this summer, but with the current timeline it doesn't look like that will be possible. Or is there another way around this?

Thank you

Stephen

Edited by zman90

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

13 months is the new normal.  

I’ve never understood why a form that takes 30 minutes to actually adjudicate has a backlog of 6 or more months.  

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

13 months is the new normal.  

I’ve never understood why a form that takes 30 minutes to actually adjudicate has a backlog of 6 or more months.  

Thanks, Mike. Do you know if there is any expedite process?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, zman90 said:

I am quite amazed that our partners aren't able to go home and see their families for over a year and a half after coming here.

That is one of the major drawbacks of a K-1.   There is absolutely no way around the travel restriction short of a genuine emergency.  If she leaves the US without an approved advance parole document in her possession, she will abandon the adjustment of status.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, zman90 said:

Thanks, Mike. Do you know if there is any expedite process?

Yes.  On what basis should it be expedited?

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Yes.  Oh what basis should it be expedited?

You're right. It's just hard to come to the realization that she isn't able to visit her family for that long. She's having a tough time being away from home and to know that this may be the reality for another 6-9 months is difficult, especially because it's such a small piece of paper and it doesn't make sense for it to take such a long time.

Thank you for your response.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is one of the major drawbacks of a K-1.   There is absolutely no way around it short of a genuine emergency.  If she leaves the US without an approved advance parole document in her possession, she will abandon the adjustment of status.  

Thank you for your response and your service to our country! I served 6.5 years AD Air Force and am now a Reservist :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, zman90 said:

Thank you for your response and your service to our country! I served 6.5 years AD Air Force and am now a Reservist :)

It was my honor to serve.  Thanks.  Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, zman90 said:

You're right. It's just hard to come to the realization that she isn't able to visit her family for that long. She's having a tough time being away from home and to know that this may be the reality for another 6-9 months is difficult, especially because it's such a small piece of paper and it doesn't make sense for it to take such a long time.

Yes my wife went through the same period of melancholy waiting for her I-131 to be approved. It was joyous day for her when her combo card arrived, unheralded, with the actual approval notice coming a later.  

Still I made it clear to her that she would  be trapped in the USA for possibly years when we decided to do the K-1.  Presumably you did the same for your fiancée. 

Just now, zman90 said:

Thank you for your response.

you are welcome. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.