2,967 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 hours ago, Meeraco said:

Good afternoon everyone, I have been following this great trend for over two years now, I filed my vawa October 2019, haven't heard anything from them, can I withdraw my application and marry my fiance and apply..thank you.

Although you can do so, you should be aware that it will be difficult to convince immigration that you are entering into the marriage in good faith.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Shroy123 said:

Hi Folks. Quick question?? Can I sponsor my spouse on my Vawa based green card? What category they will fall into? Same IB6 for greencard? Also, if I file for I130 for my spouse along with i485 if visa date is current, they will also get 10 years green card?  

It is recommended that a person who obtained their green card through marriage wait at least five years before remarrying a foreign national.  Prepare yourself to receive and RFE or Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) from USCIS asking you to prove that your  first marriage was real.

Edited by sandranj

39 minutes ago, sandranj said:

It is recommended that a person who obtained their green card through marriage wait at least five years before remarrying a foreign national.  Prepare yourself to receive and RFE or Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) from USCIS asking you to prove that your  first marriage was real.

Thank You Sandra. How about after citizenship?

On 4/3/2022 at 1:38 PM, brownielove said:

I keep seeing posts on Reddit from I-485 filers from the same area that I live in having their green card already being produced since last week. A lot of them filed in like 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2021 and they got their green cards now so quickly.

I know VAWA takes time but this has really been frustrating for me that it seems 2020 cases have been forgotten. My VAWA is still pending and my lawyer doesn't allow me to leave the country using my AP, I haven't visited my home for several years and I've had 2 uncles who died just recently which really sucks. I am really feeling that it will take me another 2-3 years from now before I actually get my green card :(

My significant other and I have been really thinking about getting married (I've been living with this person for more than a year now, such a great person with no signs of being abusive at all), withdrawing my VAWA and file again for another marriage-based i485. Does anyone think that this is a good idea? Has anyone here abandoned/withdrawn their VAWA application in order to re-marry & start another AOS application?

Don't cancel your petition. you are very close. hang tight and you will get is soon. 

1 hour ago, sandranj said:

Although you can do so, you should be aware that it will be difficult to convince immigration that you are entering into the marriage in good faith.

Thank you.

Thank you so much @J2020, @sandranj, @Rosa Garcia, @Family, @Shroy123, & @Blaze54 for answering my questions and providing great insights. I knew I wasn't supposed to be thinking about withdrawing my VAWA petition but the frustration just really got to me.

@sandranj - Yes, I realized too late that my lawyer is not very familiar with VAWA cases and I discovered this forum only after I retained her. I would've asked members here to refer me to an experienced VAWA lawyer. This has greatly added to the frustration that I've just been told not to travel outside the US at all even if it were an emergency even though my combo card is very much valid, very upsetting.

I appreciate everyone's help and encouragement! Good luck to all of us!

Hi guys I have a question about the lockbox 

I have to file form i824 and my attorney told me that we have to mail it to the Phoenix lockbox 

I don’t really understand what this step is,

is the lockbox considered an Arizona office? Or my document will go to a certain office? 

because when I look up the processing time for the form, this Phoenix office doesn’t show up. 

how can I look up the processing time for Phoenix, Az ? 

my local office is in California, but the USCIS website states that to file an i824 on an approved notice from Vermont, it has to be mailed to Phoenix lockbox 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by J2020

I see that a lot of us are scared to travel or were told not to travel on Advanced Parole. I am in the first group that is scared to go home after 4yrs of being in immigration process. I received my AP and new home-country passport today and can go home finally but I am so scared of not being able to come back. Has anyone had this before? Can anyone tell us what the experience is like when you arrive and go through US TSA? Do you just show the AP and Passport?

Thank you and hope the answers will help me make the decision on traveling. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Dear Freind I have a question one of my Freind who is in a abusive relationship with her spouse need help Ie he needed to know that he wanted to get the record of his spouse ex wife from immigration court can he apply for the EOIR-59 form him self or only the concerned parties Ie the respondent and the periphery can apply from the court.

49 minutes ago, J2020 said:

don’t really understand what this step is,

is the lockbox considered an Arizona office? Or my document will go to a certain office? 

Lockboxes are just mail/ processing centers , not Service Centers. Case will be sent to a Service Center designated by USCIS…but I hope you don’t stress too much on what the “ processing times” posted online are for any center, cause they are rarely realistic. 

I-824 on a VAWA ….do u have children overseas? ) 

16 minutes ago, Family said:

Lockboxes are just mail/ processing centers , not Service Centers. Case will be sent to a Service Center designated by USCIS…but I hope you don’t stress too much on what the “ processing times” posted online are for any center, cause they are rarely realistic. 

I-824 on a VAWA ….do u have children overseas? ) 

You are right processing time is insane but being the organized me, I just wanted to look into it so I can be prepared to request the proper documents as well as predicting a timeline for the possible embassy trips, the medical, and the police report. Just preparing for the next steps of the immigration process. 

No I don’t have children, unfortunately I left the states without an AP so I had to continue my vawa process through consular processing abroad. I have to file 824 action on an approved petition so my file can be transferred to the NVC then to the US embassy near me. 

thank you for explaining the lockbox, I was confused of how that works because it doesn’t show as a service center when I check the form 824.

Edited by J2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.