2,967 posts in this topic

Hi 

I’m trying to change the spelling of my father’s name on my passport. I just figured that the spelling was not right. 

if I change the spelling on my passport, can I request the name to be fixed after receiving my green card? And how?

thank you 🙏

Edited by J2020

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, shiva32 said:

congratulations!! I presume you already filed I485 along with I360? Also let us know your timeline please. If I485 is filed already then it will go from Vermont to eventually your local USCIS office. Processing time is anywhere from 6-12 months on average after VAWA approval, longer for some people.  

Thank you so much. Is there an interview? Medical I need to provide? Or will they just send me the green card? 

Timeline:

Jan 2020- Filed i360, i485, i765, i131

March 2020- Bio metrics

June 2020- Ead issued(1 yr)

June 2021- 2nd Ead issued(2yr)

March 2022- Vawa approved(new card on the way)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, Sharig said:

Thank you so much. Is there an interview? Medical I need to provide? Or will they just send me the green card? 

Timeline:

Jan 2020- Filed i360, i485, i765, i131

March 2020- Bio metrics

June 2020- Ead issued(1 yr)

June 2021- 2nd Ead issued(2yr)

March 2022- Vawa approved(new card on the way)

VAWA approved people usually do not get interview for i-485. If there are major issues like entry without inspection, crimes etc they still might interview, but usually it's waived. Next step for you is to wait for the medical deficiency notice or RFE for medicals. Do not get medicals done until then, If you send medicals now they will just lose it. Once they ask for medicals and you then send medical, green card is approved within a few weeks to 2 months after that. I have seen people on this forum get their green card anywhere between 4 months to 3 years after I360 approval. Usual processing time is 6 to 12 months after i360 approval. Feel free to bug USCIS for updates through your senator or congressman once every 3 months. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

10 hours ago, PB7 said:

Any 2020 approvals yet?

January 2020, got c31 work permit card based on i360 but case status has not changed to approved or received the approval notice. 

Edited by J2020

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 3/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, Blunt said:

@balo101 @sandranj @Family @Stillwinning!!!😊 @Demise Hello house I think the best thing for me to do now is to change the whole address to my own address so that I can receive all my documents at my own address ,I want to send the AR 11 to Vermont and write a note under it that I want all my receipt notices and Card should stop going to my lawyers address but my address and I will also tell my Congress person to help me Inquire about the change of address if it has been successfully updated ,most of all these lawyers dnt really care about someone’s life ,as long as is not their life they dnt care ,that is my next move now ,I want uscis to stop sending him anything as regards my case ,as a matter of fact I dnt want him to represent me again on the case cause he has been so useless from day one ,have been the one doing everything,he doesn’t do anything ..he dnt know nothing about vawa ,the only thing he does is to receive my letter from uscis..please you people should advise me on how I can let uscis stop sending him anything and sending all my receipt notices to my address ,I want that lawyer to stop representing me ,he is not putting his best on my job atall ,uscis sent receipt to him ,he has lost it ,he doesn’t know where the receipt is ,he doesn’t even suggest how we can get another receipt ,that’s a uselessss  lawyer to me ,he doesn’t know what he is doing ..if care is not taken this man could cost me when my green Card arrives ,he knows nothing about the vawa job ,I always be the one doing everything,the only thing I do is just using his address ..please house advise me on how I can stop using him and I want to be getting all my documents and letters in my own house mail box ..I dnt want anybody to use their own to affect my life 

Keep in mind that USCIS rarely update the address.I am tired to see hundreds of people complaining the USCIS didn't update the address.You should send a letter to your attorney stating that he no longer represents you and then send a copy of the letter to the Immigration as well.

Timeline
7 hours ago, shiva32 said:

VAWA approved people usually do not get interview for i-485. If there are major issues like entry without inspection, crimes etc they still might interview, but usually it's waived. Next step for you is to wait for the medical deficiency notice or RFE for medicals. Do not get medicals done until then, If you send medicals now they will just lose it. Once they ask for medicals and you then send medical, green card is approved within a few weeks to 2 months after that. I have seen people on this forum get their green card anywhere between 4 months to 3 years after I360 approval. Usual processing time is 6 to 12 months after i360 approval. Feel free to bug USCIS for updates through your senator or congressman once every 3 months. 

Where did you get this information that people usually don't have to attend interview for I-485? 90% of the VAWA petitioners  have I-485 interview.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
6 minutes ago, sandranj said:

Where did you get this information that people usually don't have to attend interview for I-485? 90% of the VAWA petitioners  have I-485 interview.

Another attorney. Alena Shautsova. When I spoke to her earlier this week. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

Timeline
19 hours ago, Pens said:

My removal proceedings have been terminated since last August...

If the IJ terminated your removal without adjudication the AOS then USCIS will adjudicate at the request of ICE or the applicant, but if USCIS denied your I-485 and placed you in removal and the proceeding was terminated then you have to refile a new I-485 with the USCIS.

Timeline
On 3/23/2022 at 12:42 AM, Chicago_315 said:

@sandranj I'm currently a green card holder under VAWA and I'm planning to get married again this October to non-citizen and not green card holder, and she lives in a different country. If I'm gonna marry her my 3 years of filing citizenship under VAWA will be revoked?

You can get married, but you can't sponsor her now.You will be able to sponsor her after 5 years of your I-485 approval or when you become a U.S Citizen.  The 3 years rule won't be revoked because you will get married.

Edited by sandranj

Timeline
On 3/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, honeybadger3 said:

Hello everyone!

I wanted to ask what the "new card being produced" meant on my I360 update.

I've already received my EAD just recently (December 2021), so I'm not quite sure what this is for.. for reference, my case history is below. Any leads for what this may be would really be helpful for me ❤️

It means your VAWA was approved.Congrats.

Filed: IR-4 Country: Norway
Timeline
1 hour ago, sandranj said:

Keep in mind that USCIS rarely update the address.I am tired to see hundreds of people complaining the USCIS didn't update the address.You should send a letter to your attorney stating that he no longer represents you and then send a copy of the letter to the Immigration as well.

Thanks you so much @sandranjfor replying me ,I will prepare a letter and send to the immigration to let them know that my lawyer is not representing me anymore and I already informed my Congress woman about how he kept missing my receipt ,so the Congress woman said she will help me make sure you keep checking with the uscis to see if the address has been changed to my house address so they can be communicating with me directly instead of my lawyer !! My Congress woman is very helpful so she said she will keep asking the uscis whether they have updated the address ..thanks so much 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, sandranj said:

@Stillwinning!!!😊 does this mean they are not sending it anymore? 

8DA05834-529B-4C16-BB39-514DD757C3FB.jpeg

Hello family!

A couple months ago I wrote about my case.I had an update two weeks ago and was wondering if anyone could help me.

I’ve applied for VAWA in March 2019 and my I-360 was approved in August 2021. Last December my I-485 was transferred from NBC to Vermont to "speed up processing", this week however I receive another notice saying my case was transferred from Vermont back to NBC again, to "speed up processing".

I don't understand why my case is being sent back and forth like that, any ideas? Do you guys think they still need to send it to a local office after NBC

Many thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.