satances

Requirements Dual Citizen exiting the Philippines? (urgent)

10 posts in this topic

Hi, am new sorry if I'm at all posting in the wrong area.

I am assisting my friend in exiting the Philippines from Manila to the US to live here permanently. He is a dual citizen. He is scheduled to fly out via PAL on the 28th of March, but since the requirements keep changing I am unclear of what he needs in order to depart. 

He has:

USA Passport

Philippines Passport
ID Documents

Vaccination Card (fully vaccinated)

I know that he will need to print out and sign a few documents before flying. I also know about the test requirement for a day before.

Does he need a travel pass, and if so, is there any way he can get that in time for his flight - and how would he go about getting one, in that case? I see "departure card" listed on requirements as well, how would he go about getting this? Is there anything else that he absolutely needs? I am terrified of him being turned away at the airport due to his circumstances at home, and am trying to make sure everything is in order. Thank you. 

27 minutes ago, hunny&me said:

Thank you for responding so fast. He doesn't need any sort of "travel pass"? I realize now that the departure card is something he gets at the airline.
Also, he should only show his US passport? I was under the assumption that dual citizens were required to present both upon departure. Apologies for asking so many clarifying questions, I'm just a bit frazzled about this since it's happening so soon (and can't seem to get into contact over the phone with anyone who could help me with this 😒).

Edited by satances

Dual benefits is for going in, so that end of stay is indefinite.  Manila is on low level alert.  He can travel to airport no travel pass since he is in Manila already.  On dual, my family presents US passport going outbound and Phil passport (or just US passport and dual citizen document) to benefit on both citizenship.  When entering US, just present US passport.  Travel insurance requirement is a foreign country requirement.  Since he is going to his country, it is not required.

How and Where did he acquire dual?  Has he has not travelled before?  Travel is same now with addition of covid protocol.  You can refer to quick reference link i sent earlier.  He can fill in and print the attestation already prior to his flight.  

No, he never has traveled before. He was born in the Philippines to a married Filipino mother and US citizen American father. He got his dual citizenship status in the Philippines in 2016 (minor at the time) after getting proof of being his father's child, this is when he got a US passport and dual citizen documents. 

Edited by satances

Gotcha!  He will be fine!   So yes, since his US Passport is probably unused, presenting both passports (or US passport + dual citizen doc) will probably be needed as they will be looking for when did he enter Philippines.  But no worries, he is all good.  Just bring some cash for travel tax if not yet paid on ticket - found this "Dual citizens whose stay in the Philippines exceed one (1) year will pay the travel tax irrespective of which passport they use for travel."

Edited by hunny&me

On 3/10/2022 at 6:13 AM, hunny&me said:

Dual benefits is for going in, so that end of stay is indefinite.  Manila is on low level alert.  He can travel to airport no travel pass since he is in Manila already.  On dual, my family presents US passport going outbound and Phil passport (or just US passport and dual citizen document) to benefit on both citizenship.  When entering US, just present US passport.  Travel insurance requirement is a foreign country requirement.  Since he is going to his country, it is not required.

How and Where did he acquire dual?  Has he has not travelled before?  Travel is same now with addition of covid protocol.  You can refer to quick reference link i sent earlier.  He can fill in and print the attestation already prior to his flight.  

Ahhh, sorry but it turns out I was mistaken on one part. He technically lives in Mandaluyong, and a mutual friend of ours is visiting to accompany him for this trip. I looked it up and Mandaluyong is under the same alert level as Manila... do either of them need that travel pass? Between Manila and Mandaluyong is the only place either of them would be going. Sorry to keep asking questions 😓

Aaaaand more uncertainties now. Does he need a OneHealthPass to exit? It's listed on the requirements for "Philippine Airlines and all its passengers," but when attempting to look into this it only gives options for travelers who are arriving... Thank you for being patient with me as I try to figure this out, I keep reaching dead ends when talking to people on my end and he currently can't make phone calls. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.