Brian1977RI

Establishing myself in the USA

20 posts in this topic

~ Duplicate thread removed. As you have been told previously, Do NOT create multiple threads asking same or related questions as that is considered spamming. Post all related questions in this thread only ~

7 minutes ago, Brian1977RI said:

Hi All 

How does one get domicile while living in australia. I am a US citizen and need to re establish .I still do taxes every year what other evidence should be done while living here ?

I know I would have to head to the US in person to open a bank account & get my license. Any tips on how you all managed  to do this while here ?

46 minutes ago, Brian1977RI said:

I plan on getting a job as soon as I get there,  all my friends and family keep telling me employers cant find employees so I'm not concerned about work. My biggest concern is leaving my wife and kids behind to start a job and waiting in limbo for the visa...there has to be another way to provide domicile info without having to leave my family behind...is there?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos18

A sponsor who is not currently living in the United States may meet the domicile requirement if he or she can submit evidence to establish that any of the following conditions apply:

The sponsor is employed by certain organizations as defined below.

The sponsor is living abroad temporarily and has maintained his or her domicile in the United States.

The sponsor intends in good faith to establish his or her domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission to the United States.

You don't have to move ahead of your family.  You have to fly with them or before them.

If you don't have a lot of money it sounds like you will need a sponsor.  Most likely your parents?  For domicile, one thing you you can add is a notarized letter from them saying that you will live with them.

If you search here on VJ you can find lists of things people do to prove INTENT to reestablish domicile.  

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, seekingthetruth said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos18

A sponsor who is not currently living in the United States may meet the domicile requirement if he or she can submit evidence to establish that any of the following conditions apply:

The sponsor is employed by certain organizations as defined below.

The sponsor is living abroad temporarily and has maintained his or her domicile in the United States.

The sponsor intends in good faith to establish his or her domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission to the United States.

You don't have to move ahead of your family.  You have to fly with them or before them.

If you don't have a lot of money it sounds like you will need a sponsor.  Most likely your parents?  For domicile, one thing you you can add is a notarized letter from them saying that you will live with them.

If you search here on VJ you can find lists of things people do to prove INTENT to reestablish domicile.  

Thanks for the reply ..I am currently on this page...I can use our assets which will be converted into cash also.

I will see what else others are including. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Brian1977RI said:

I plan on getting a job as soon as I get there,  all my friends and family keep telling me employers cant find employees so I'm not concerned about work. My biggest concern is leaving my wife and kids behind to start a job and waiting in limbo for the visa...there has to be another way to provide domicile info without having to leave my family behind...is there?

A buddy of mine (USC) just left Korea with his wife and kid. He didn't have to leave before them.

Every consulate is different though. Read around the Australia forum to see the requirements for re-establishing domicile because you don't want to end up in the situation where your wife goes to the interview and her visa is refused because you didn't provide sufficient evidence. In that happens you might have to fly to the US before they issue the visa. 

As you have children, I would research schools for them as that is another solid step you can take towards re-establishing domicile. 

Here is a thread from 2019 from someone interviewing out of Australia. 

You should search the forums to read what others interviewing out of your consulate have done. 

On 4/10/2022 at 2:40 AM, Brian1977RI said:

I feel like waiting for this I130 is we are in limbo til we here something. 

I'm sorry to say it definitely is a limbo and there's nothing can be done about it. Its a waiting game, and there is no knowing how long you will be waiting for.

We were told 10 months waiting, it was 18 months in the end. We got to the point where we just had to start living our lives where we were again. Bought a motorbike, bought a car etc. You can't live in the USCIS black hole indefinitely, you have to get on with your lives until they eventually respond to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.