mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Thai passport in Bangkok? My fiancee has one, but it will expire in nine months which is JUST OVER the eight month visa limit.

I am concerned that once she has the interview (which had not yet been scheduled) that the visa might not be issued before the eight month cutoff.

Does anyone know if a copy of the current passport can be sent in with the packet 3 materials and then a new passport be produced at the interview?

It took my wifes friend two days to get a passport in bangkok. First day is the application and second day is to go pick it up. My wife got hers in one day in Chaing Mai but then again the office in bangkok is much more busier.

USCIS

08/21/2008- Mailed I-130 today

08/23/2008- I-130 recieved at chicago lock box

08/27/2008- NOA1 notice date

01/05/2009- recieved NOA2 approval e-mail from CRIS

NVC

2009-01-16 : NVC Received and Case Number Assigned (don't know exact date)

2009-01-16 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-01-25 : DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

2009-01-28 : AOS bill invoiced (paid online)

2009-02-02 : AOS bill PAID and cover sheet printed

2009-02-02 : AOS package sent to NVC (sent overnight)

2009-01-29 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2??? : AOS entered into NVC system (NVC recieved AOS 03-feb-2009)

2009-02-01 : IV bill invoiced(paid online)

2009-02-03 : IV bill PAID and cover sheet printed

2009-02-23 : Medical completed

2009-03-13: DS-230 and Packet 3 sent to NVC

2009-03-17: DS-230 and packet 3 recieved by NVC

2009-03-27: RFE to correct a date on DS-230

2009-03-30: Corrected DS-230 recieved by NVC

2009-04-06 : case complete at NVC

Embassy

2009-05-01 : Forward the case to Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand

2009-06-03 : Interview at Embassy APPROVED!!!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I have a question about Packet 3. Do I understand the instructions correctly that the ONLY thing to be returned to the embassy is Checklist (but not accompanying documentation), DS-230 Part I, two passport photos and copy of passport photo page.

My confusion is on the word "checklist" - it's unclear if that means everything on the checklist, or just the checklist itself.

Many thanks

You make sure you /her have gathered all the documents that are on the checklist, once you have and you have checked all the boxes on your "checklist " you mail only the checklist. then youwill get the packet 4 with your interview date. When you go in for your interview you will bring all of your documents with you. I hope this helps

Filed: Timeline
I have a question about Packet 3. Do I understand the instructions correctly that the ONLY thing to be returned to the embassy is Checklist (but not accompanying documentation), DS-230 Part I, two passport photos and copy of passport photo page.

My confusion is on the word "checklist" - it's unclear if that means everything on the checklist, or just the checklist itself.

Many thanks

You make sure you /her have gathered all the documents that are on the checklist, once you have and you have checked all the boxes on your "checklist " you mail only the checklist. then youwill get the packet 4 with your interview date. When you go in for your interview you will bring all of your documents with you. I hope this helps

Has this process changed in the last like five months, because we were told to mail everything on the checklist as well as the checklist itself.

We were told this by our lawyers, as well as through visa journey.

Many thanks

I agree. That is the way the form reads.

Timeline

Many thanks

We are just sending the list itself and not the supporting documentation. Step 3 says to bring all the OTHER items to the interview. (It doesn't say bring a copy of everything to the interview, too.) Some things are originals and that might be the reason that they don't require mailing.

I also noted that it appears that you do not have to have the medical exam done before sending the form anymore. That's a change from the old form I think.

yea you get all the medical documents and the location were the exam can be done in packet 4.

Many thanks

Has this process changed in the last like five months, because we were told to mail everything on the checklist as well as the checklist itself.

Not sure, but I think it is pretty clear if you read it carefully that you do not NEED to send them with the packet 3 items. You just need to certify that you "have them in your possession." Why would you need to certify that you "have them in your possession" if you were sending them? There is even more wording like that in the instructions; I'm not sure if it was the same list for you or not, but you can see it for yourself, here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_vis...structions.html

I've found that some (not all) lawyers really have no clue and just send everything everywhere, which I think just delays the process.

Edited by toma1

Many thanks

We are just sending the list itself and not the supporting documentation. Step 3 says to bring all the OTHER items to the interview. (It doesn't say bring a copy of everything to the interview, too.) Some things are originals and that might be the reason that they don't require mailing.

I also noted that it appears that you do not have to have the medical exam done before sending the form anymore. That's a change from the old form I think.

yea you get all the medical documents and the location were the exam can be done in packet 4.

I understand that. I'm not referring to the medical documents and the police report. I am referring to the documents also listed on the checklist, like all the forms. We did this like five months ago, maybe more, so the forms I don't recall offhand.

Many thanks

Not sure, but I think it is pretty clear if you read it carefully that you do not NEED to send them with the packet 3 items. You just need to certify that you "have them in your possession." Why would you need to certify that you "have them in your possession" if you were sending them? There is even more wording like that in the instructions; I'm not sure if it was the same list for you or not, but you can see it for yourself, here:

I've found that some (not all) lawyers really have no clue and just send everything everywhere, which I think just delays the process.

Once you have all the necessary documents, you should return the following materials to the IV Unit of the U.S. Embassy by mail to notify us that you are ready to schedule an interview.

signed checklist

DS-230 Part I

two frontal photographs and

a photocopy of a passport photo page

These are the documents I am referring to. It clearly states to return the following documents by mail to notify them you are ready to schedule an interview.

Our disagreement on this could be a miscommunication, however when you said you ONLY sent in the checklist, I thought you were referring to (and you may have been) only sending in the piece of paper that IS the checklist, and not the DS-230 part 1, photos, and a copy of the passport.

When I said to send in supporting docs., I was referring to those I just mentioned.

Many thanks

Once you have all the necessary documents, you should return the following materials to the IV Unit of the U.S. Embassy by mail to notify us that you are ready to schedule an interview.

signed checklist

DS-230 Part I

two frontal photographs and

a photocopy of a passport photo page

These are the documents I am referring to. It clearly states to return the following documents by mail to notify them you are ready to schedule an interview.

Our disagreement on this could be a miscommunication, however when you said you ONLY sent in the checklist, I thought you were referring to (and you may have been) only sending in the piece of paper that IS the checklist, and not the DS-230 part 1, photos, and a copy of the passport.

When I said to send in supporting docs., I was referring to those I just mentioned.

Yes, then we agree on the list. I think the original post referred to those other things.

Kang Lang,

How's the AOS process coming alone?

Any updates for us?

Hope all is well. :)

thanks for checking in devkkpaik! biometrics were on the 28th of October no touches since then...if we are processed along w/ the avg we should expect ap in early december and ead in mid-late december but knowing that doesn't stop me from checking the website everyday! :whistle:

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Kang Lang,

How's the AOS process coming alone?

Any updates for us?

Hope all is well. :)

thanks for checking in devkkpaik! biometrics were on the 28th of October no touches since then...if we are processed along w/ the avg we should expect ap in early december and ead in mid-late december but knowing that doesn't stop me from checking the website everyday! :whistle:

GREAT news! Yea I've sort of been MIA on this site as well. Checking it periodically, but not like I once did.

Great to hear things are moving along for you guys though!

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a Thai passport in Bangkok? My fiancee has one, but it will expire in nine months which is JUST OVER the eight month visa limit.

I am concerned that once she has the interview (which had not yet been scheduled) that the visa might not be issued before the eight month cutoff.

Does anyone know if a copy of the current passport can be sent in with the packet 3 materials and then a new passport be produced at the interview?

It took my wifes friend two days to get a passport in bangkok. First day is the application and second day is to go pick it up. My wife got hers in one day in Chaing Mai but then again the office in bangkok is much more busier.

OK, I found out that because hers is a renewal, it will take two days. She applied on Tuesday and can pick it up on Thursday. Well, that's a two-day delay for us, but I guess it could have been worse....

Timeline

Questions,

Does the orginial relationship letter that you sent the uscis get forwarded to the embassy in bangkok. Can you be to detailed in your writing of how you met and what you did? I was asked to write another letter for my girl to take to the embassy in bangkok and my attorney said my first letter might have been to detailed?? Can this be a problem? There was no talk of bars or sex or any thing offensive. We did go to pattaya for two days out of the two months I was there. Is this a horrible thing? We went dancing and to the beach!

I was very detailed day by day on the two months I was visiting? Has anyone heard of offering too much information? to embassy as a bad thing. I plan on being at the interview as well. I heard this helps sometimes?

Questions,

Does the orginial relationship letter that you sent the uscis get forwarded to the embassy in bangkok. Can you be to detailed in your writing of how you met and what you did? I was asked to write another letter for my girl to take to the embassy in bangkok and my attorney said my first letter might have been to detailed?? Can this be a problem? There was no talk of bars or sex or any thing offensive. We did go to pattaya for two days out of the two months I was there. Is this a horrible thing? We went dancing and to the beach!

I was very detailed day by day on the two months I was visiting? Has anyone heard of offering too much information? to embassy as a bad thing. I plan on being at the interview as well. I heard this helps sometimes?

I assume you mean the letter of intent when you say the relationship letter?

If so, then you CAN be as detailed as you'd like, however it's definitely not necessary, and personally I wouldn't. Why make it so detailed and long if it's not required and won't help you?

There is nothing wrong with going on vacation anywhere (Pattaya) and as long as she isn't a bar girl or anything sketchy like that then there's no problem.

Good luck raptorea.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.