mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
You crack me up, Birch-Beer!!!! I have a few pairs of Dockers and have worn them before when I was in first class.....only because I was still married to an Am Airlines employee and flew as employee spouse and they have a dress code if you fly in business or first. But it was damn hot when I got off that plane in BKK wearing those things!! Of course, just was not used to the heat although I should be since it's hotter than ####### here in NC and I wear them to work with a tie. But I know her impression is more important than mine since they won't interview me but I won't look like a slob.

Wear something decent, there was a guy who looked like a slob there when I went, they still got approved, but he didn't show himself at the interview window, his fiancee just went up alone. All of the women there kept talking about that guy and how they couldn't believe he looked like that for the interview. Remember Thai culture generally appreciates when you dress nice, especially for an important event. If nothing else, do it for your fiancee. I wore some nice slacks and a button down shirt, I showed myself at the window and at least introduced myself to them even though I couldn't stand there for the interview, I think it helps to show you're there to support her and the visa. Nothin wrong with some Khakis and a short sleeved button down or polo. I treat it like a job interview, I'd never wear shorts to a job interview. Just my opinion. Go for the gold and bring her home!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've got a different sort of question for those of you out there. Now that your fiancee is in America, what is she doing with her time?

Since she won't be able to work until the AOS process is started I'm not sure what she's going to do during the day when I'm at work. I'm sure she'll enjoy the peace and quiet for the first few days, but I expect she'll be climbing the walls pretty quickly.

She can make clay flowers, and I've suggested she bring over whatever supplies she needs to do that when she gets here. But I doubt she'll want to do that every day, and it doesn't change the fact she's going to be sitting home all alone with nothing but the dog for companionship. I plan to get her a bus pass (She's never driven a car), as we live within walking distance of a park and ride. But again, I'm not sure she'll be able to make sense of the bus system, and even if she can she'll be out traveling alone.

I can't think of any volunteer opportunities near where we live.

So how have those of you solved this problem?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
You crack me up, Birch-Beer!!!! I have a few pairs of Dockers and have worn them before when I was in first class.....only because I was still married to an Am Airlines employee and flew as employee spouse and they have a dress code if you fly in business or first. But it was damn hot when I got off that plane in BKK wearing those things!! Of course, just was not used to the heat although I should be since it's hotter than ####### here in NC and I wear them to work with a tie. But I know her impression is more important than mine since they won't interview me but I won't look like a slob.

:)), yea, the last time I took a pair of jeans, ouch. My wife wanted to see me in jeans, instead of shorts all the time.

...I'm the same way, light and as little as possible.

I've taken chino's before and wasnt too bad......I wear them almost everyday to work too.....so I get it...:P

Filed: Timeline

As far as the fiancee free time after she arrives... yes.. that is a very good question.

I have many different home projects... I want to upgrade my kitchen and bathrooms. I made sure she had an International Drivers license so she can drive here. I hope to keep her busy looking at stores... painting... etc. I know she will want to do some home design anyway.

My friend is a teacher and she suggested that my fiancee do some volunteering at her school. She is great with kids so that would be a good thing for her to get out and meet other people.

I am also planning to have her teach me Thai.. so I will have her use my Thai books and make up lesson plans. Her English is good but perhaps an English language class would help her. There are also adult classes on art and other items (like cooking) that she may want to take for fun.

I do want to keep her busy so she will not become bored. I will wait and see what interests her.

K-1 Process

NOA1

01/04/2008- Received date for NOA1 Receipt for I129F

NOA2

05/09/2008- Email that Approval Notice was sent for I129F

5/16/2008 - Received I-797C Notice of Action 2 Approved the petition and have sent the original visa petition to the Department of State National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will within two to four weeks:

NOA3

6/2/2008 - Fiancee Received Packet 3

6/9/2008 - Fiancee sent packet 3 to Embassy

6/16/2008 - Fiancee finished Medical and police report. Police report to be mailed to her in 2 weeks.

6/30/2008 - Have police report

7/29/2008 - INTERVIEW DATE! SUCCESS!

7/31/2008 - Picked up Visa 2 days later from Embassy

8/17/08 - Arrive to USA! (Yes, we booked prior to the interview)

9/15/08 -- Social Security Card (Had to argue about card with K-1)

11/13/08 -- MARRIAGE!

11/15/08 -- File for AOS

2/2/09 --- Received Advance Parole

3/15/09 -- Received Work Card

4/3/09 -- Trip to Thailand... Married Again

5/11/09 -- Interview and approval of AOS (ship card in 3 weeks!)

Hi shawndoc,

My DIL wants to be fully prepared when she does resume work. She speaks excellent English, but still plans to check in with the literacy program at our local library and have someone help hone her skills. They tutor immigrants at all levels, even some that want to make sure they'll be able to succeed if they want to continue their education here. They are matched with volunteers, most of who have been, or are currently teachers. It's a wonderful program, and helps build confidence. Perhaps I push it because my daughter has worked there. Often times lasting friendships are formed with the tutor.

Another idea that's been thrown out is for her to volunteer at our local visitor's center, since her degree is in hospitality management. That way she can learn what's available in the area. She'll obviously have a lot to learn since she has not lived here, but I'm sure they will welcome her and mentor her. We're also on the look out for any conferences in her field. If she ends up with a CR-1, that will be a different matter, as she'd like to get into the US management training program here for the corporation she currently works for. That would mean she'd be a in another part of the country for a couple of months. She is working hard in order to get good references. We shall see. Enlist all the friends and family you can. I hope we aren't being too eager to embrace her. What she does is up to her, but it doesn't hurt to have a number of options from which to choose.

I liked JohnIrish's idea of volunteering in the classroom. The kids can learn about a different country and culture. My DIL has served as a Good Will Ambassador for Thailand, so I think she would enjoy it. She was very good at explaining things when we visited Thailand.

My son might have something to say about this, too. :lol: If she weren't married to him, I'd love to go travel with her.

I applaud you for thinking about this in advance.

Thai Mom

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Quick question. On the I-134 affidavit of support, question #8, I still pay en ex-wife spousal support because of the screwed up Calif. laws. While I do not feel she is dependent on that money, I am trying to decide if I should list her or not. It automatically comes out of my paycheck and shows a deduction on my stub but I doubt they would even know what it was because of the way it's listed. Should I list her as being partially dependent?

Never got that question answered above. Anyone got any input into it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Quick question. On the I-134 affidavit of support, question #8, I still pay en ex-wife spousal support because of the screwed up Calif. laws. While I do not feel she is dependent on that money, I am trying to decide if I should list her or not. It automatically comes out of my paycheck and shows a deduction on my stub but I doubt they would even know what it was because of the way it's listed. Should I list her as being partially dependent?

Thanks!!

Shawndoc, out interview is the 21st and I am leaving for BKK on the 16th.

My fiancee thinks I should bring my Levis to wear to the interview. I always only bring shorts since that's all I wear when I am there. I know how she dresses may make a difference, but what about me? I like to be comfy!! Anyone had any insight into that?

The CO is more concerned with your gross income, not where your money is going. List your ex-wife and tick the box "Partially Dependent".

As for what to wear, dress appropriately! You don't wear shorts in a Wat, why should you wear shorts in the American Consulate? Just because you're a tourist while you're there, doesn't mean you have to act like one. I wore a polo shirt and slacks when I went to the interview. I have seen people with suites on in the waiting area. Don't make yourself stick out.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline
Just a quick question concerning "Adjustment of Status" (AOS). Under the K-1 Fiancee visa you have 90 days upon entry to get married. What is the time frame from the date of marriage to file for AOS? I have just started to research the AOS, but have yet to get too deep into it. I really just want to make sure that she brings everything that might be needed for that such as birth certificates, translations and medical goodies.

Cheers,

Alvin

You have 90 days upon entry to get married AND to file for AOS. In other words, you must file for AOS before the I-91 expires.

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
We have a lot of work ahead of us to get this back to the largest thread on the board! Let's get busy!!! :D

On a serious note, I am still waiting to hear about the DS-156 with the Barcode?!! :help: Does that form have to be used now, or can you still use the blank one they have at the BNK site?

Robert

:help:

I am getting married in 6 days. Officially. <gulp>

:lol:

reception is in july ... :P

You know you love it Richard!!! ;) I wish I could be within 6 days of my marriage!!! :D

can you help me? i do not why my case number didn't work ? what will i do? god bless ya and have a beautiful day

welcome to my page hahahah.......just ask me and i will be ready to answer......

Timeline
Just a quick question concerning "Adjustment of Status" (AOS). Under the K-1 Fiancee visa you have 90 days upon entry to get married. What is the time frame from the date of marriage to file for AOS? I have just started to research the AOS, but have yet to get too deep into it. I really just want to make sure that she brings everything that might be needed for that such as birth certificates, translations and medical goodies.

Cheers,

Alvin

You have 90 days upon entry to get married AND to file for AOS. In other words, you must file for AOS before the I-91 expires.

I meant to write I-94, which is the card she will need to fill out on the plane b4 entering the US. A copy of that is also necessary to be sent in with the I-485.

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'll look fine at the interview. I will take my Levis and a button shirt so I won't be in just my normal t-shirt and shorts. And they are not ratty torn Levis!!!

But I have another question for you learned scholars out there that have attended the interview with your fiancee. I have originals and copies of almost everything I am taking. Are they content with giving them copies and they will ask for the original if they want to see it? I am more concerned with the Thai documents that have been translated into English. I have the original translated page with the translators certification and many copies of each for whatever use we need them for. Just don't want to lose the original if I can avoid it and give them all copies but have the originals with us in case they want to see them. What did you do when you gave them the documents at the first window?

What are they doing to be most happy with and want the most?

Timeline
I'll look fine at the interview. I will take my Levis and a button shirt so I won't be in just my normal t-shirt and shorts. And they are not ratty torn Levis!!!

But I have another question for you learned scholars out there that have attended the interview with your fiancee. I have originals and copies of almost everything I am taking. Are they content with giving them copies and they will ask for the original if they want to see it? I am more concerned with the Thai documents that have been translated into English. I have the original translated page with the translators certification and many copies of each for whatever use we need them for. Just don't want to lose the original if I can avoid it and give them all copies but have the originals with us in case they want to see them. What did you do when you gave them the documents at the first window?

What are they doing to be most happy with and want the most?

I did not submit originals, but had them available, and I did not submit any translations, as they are not requested. Other than the CO, the entire staff is Thai, and they don't need anthing translated! You will need the translations for your AOS packet.

Just have everything in a neat pile, with some sort of order. I used the K visa checklist from Packet 3 and ordered the documents according to that list.

Be sure to click on my timeline and read my Consulate Review for Bangkok.

Edited by roi_aggie

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wear something decent, there was a guy who looked like a slob there when I went, they still got approved, but he didn't show himself at the interview window, his fiancee just went up alone. All of the women there kept talking about that guy and how they couldn't believe he looked like that for the interview. Remember Thai culture generally appreciates when you dress nice, especially for an important event. If nothing else, do it for your fiancee. I wore some nice slacks and a button down shirt, I showed myself at the window and at least introduced myself to them even though I couldn't stand there for the interview, I think it helps to show you're there to support her and the visa. Nothin wrong with some Khakis and a short sleeved button down or polo. I treat it like a job interview, I'd never wear shorts to a job interview. Just my opinion. Go for the gold and bring her home!

Is this appropriate attire for the interview?

http://www.oundleschoolhockey.org.uk/uploa...ls/big_bird.jpg

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Perfect!

Timeline

Only if you're applying for a job on Sesame Street!

Otherwise: :bonk:

K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

I-751 Timeline

N-400 Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.