mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi everyone....just saw this thread for the first time. I'm still waiting for USCIS to approve my application.

I faxed in a request to expedite last week due to military deployment and according to an email from Officer McMellan..."an officer has my package and it's waiting to be adjudicated. Please allow 30 days for action." I'm pretty sure this is good:)

Just wanted to check in with everyone and introduce myself here. I'm happy to see there is a whole Thailand thread. I'll be counting on you guys to help me out with ridiculous questions sometimes...haha :bonk::help:

Welcome JCochranUSN...glad to see another family military member here. I was in the military. I had just retired two months ago from 21 yrs, 9 mons, & 9 days from the USAF. I'm a new Thai thread member as well. You should get your approval soon. Best of luck. :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcoming:) I'm also happy to see another military member here. I sure hope you are right that I get the approval soon. I was SOOOOOOOO happy to get the email from the Officer at CSC saying I only had 30 more days to wait until action. I think this email is a little more reliable than calling the "misinformation line."

I've been so paranoid the last two weeks. I'm so worried they will deny me for stupid things. Like I was charged with an "open container" violation 3 years ago. I was late on a couple payments for my internet service and my Sirius satellite radio (will they think im financially unstable)??.

It's ridiculous how much I've been stressing and how much I've been thinking into this.

Someone shoot me already... :help: lol

21 JUL 07 : K1 package mailed to Nebraska Service Center

24 JUL 07 : K1 arrived in Lincoln, NE

24 JUL 07 : USPS status of package: DELIVERED:)

02 AUG 07 : NOA1 from CSC

03 DEC 07: NOA2

12 DEC 07: NVC Receives

14 DEC 07: NVC sends to Bangkok

17 DEC 07: Consulate receives

08 JAN 08: Packet 3 sent

08 JAN 08: Given date of interview

11 JAN 08: Interview...approved already before getting to the window!...NO questions asked

25 JAN 08: My lady arrives in IAD-Washington DC:)

19 APR 08: Married in Alexandria, VA (5 days before Visa expires)

20 JUN 08: Mailing in AOS packet

18 DEC 09: GREEN CARD RECEIVED:)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

Trying to navigate this maze and could use some help, encouragement, advice, etc. :wacko:

I submitted our application to Texas in late June and received canceled check in July. Some questions...

1. I never received a hard copy (is that the NOA1?), but called the customer service folks and they told me how to find the receipt number on the canceled check, which I did. Shows it was received JULY 2nd and sent to CSC for processing. I still never have received hard copies of anything in the mail -- will I need anything or is the ability to track progress online enough?

2. Is there anything we should be doing while we wait for notification of approval of the application?

3. Beginning with the end in mind ... with a JULY 2nd receipt date and clean records for both myself and my fiancee (we met July 2006 and I've been there 7 times) when would you guess she'll finally receive her Visa?

Thanks from this Texas rookie.

Good luck to all.

OUR TIMELINE

06/01/07 ----- Hired US Immigration Law Thailand to Prepare Documentation, Guide Through Process

06/26/07 ----- I-129F Mailed to Texas (to California for processing)

07/02/07 ----- I-129F NOA1 (per website; never received hard copy)

11/20/07 ----- I-129F NOA2 (per website; awaiting hard copy)

11/26/07 ----- Received NOA2 hard copy

12/04/07 ----- Called NVC; nothing received from USCIS and case number not yet assigned

12/12/07 ----- CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED AND FILE MAILED TO BANGKOK EMBASSY!

12/15/07 ----- Package received @ Bangkok Embassy

12/18/07 ----- Medical, Police Background

12/22/07 ----- Packet to BKK Embassy

12/26/07 ----- Packet received by BKK Embassy; estimate 3-4 weeks until interview date is scheduled

12/27/07 ----- Packet 4 mailed by Embassy; interview scheduled!!! :-)

01/31/08 ----- SUCCESSFUL Interview: Bangkok Embassy

02/04/08 ----- Pick up Visa

02/05/08 ----- Arrive in U.S.!!!

04/05/08 ----- MARRIED - VIVA LAS VEGAS!

04/29/08 ----- Green Card / Permanent Residence Packet Arrives @ Chicago USCIS

05/05/08 ----- NOA Date

05/22/08 ----- Biometrics Appointment

04/21/09 ----- GREEN CARD ISSUED!

Timeline
Trying to navigate this maze and could use some help, encouragement, advice, etc. :wacko:

I submitted our application to Texas in late June and received canceled check in July. Some questions...

1. I never received a hard copy (is that the NOA1?), but called the customer service folks and they told me how to find the receipt number on the canceled check, which I did. Shows it was received JULY 2nd and sent to CSC for processing. I still never have received hard copies of anything in the mail -- will I need anything or is the ability to track progress online enough?

2. Is there anything we should be doing while we wait for notification of approval of the application?

3. Beginning with the end in mind ... with a JULY 2nd receipt date and clean records for both myself and my fiancee (we met July 2006 and I've been there 7 times) when would you guess she'll finally receive her Visa?

Good luck to all.

The hard copy NOA1 isnt really that necessary. The hard/paper copy of the NOA2 is something you'll desperately need. If you don't receive it, then call customer service and have them mail you a new one...youll need it for AOS.

While you're waiting...i'd request tax transcripts from the IRS for the past 3-4 years. You can do this via their website. This will help in proving your financial status to the consulate. Also, get records for any of your phone calls, internet chat logs, 30+ pictures, immigration stamp photocopies, etc.

Also, take her or have her go to the hospital in BKK for her health check-up, and request her police records in BKK also. From what I'm told, it takes about 3 weeks to get them. This will save you some time to get them now.

I wish you the best of luck in this journey my friend. Take care.

21 JUL 07 : K1 package mailed to Nebraska Service Center

24 JUL 07 : K1 arrived in Lincoln, NE

24 JUL 07 : USPS status of package: DELIVERED:)

02 AUG 07 : NOA1 from CSC

03 DEC 07: NOA2

12 DEC 07: NVC Receives

14 DEC 07: NVC sends to Bangkok

17 DEC 07: Consulate receives

08 JAN 08: Packet 3 sent

08 JAN 08: Given date of interview

11 JAN 08: Interview...approved already before getting to the window!...NO questions asked

25 JAN 08: My lady arrives in IAD-Washington DC:)

19 APR 08: Married in Alexandria, VA (5 days before Visa expires)

20 JUN 08: Mailing in AOS packet

18 DEC 09: GREEN CARD RECEIVED:)

Timeline

Good luck to all.

Texas, please add your timeline to your signature so it will give us a better understanding of where you are. As for waiting for the hard copy of the NOA1, you should call the USCIS to find out since you have the Case #. If you see my timeline; it took them 2 and 1/2 mons to get it to me. I wouldn't worry too much about the NOA1...it's the NOA2 is what you should really be concerned with. This one is the one that counts most.

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Timeline

Good luck to all.

Texas, please add your timeline to your signature so it will give us a better understanding of where you are. As for waiting for the hard copy of the NOA1, you should call the USCIS to find out since you have the Case #. If you see my timeline; it took them 2 and 1/2 mons to get it to me. I wouldn't worry too much about the NOA1...it's the NOA2 is what you should really be concerned with. This one is the one that counts most.

Consider it done; signature added -- many thanks. And congratulations on the NOA2. That's awesome!

OUR TIMELINE

06/01/07 ----- Hired US Immigration Law Thailand to Prepare Documentation, Guide Through Process

06/26/07 ----- I-129F Mailed to Texas (to California for processing)

07/02/07 ----- I-129F NOA1 (per website; never received hard copy)

11/20/07 ----- I-129F NOA2 (per website; awaiting hard copy)

11/26/07 ----- Received NOA2 hard copy

12/04/07 ----- Called NVC; nothing received from USCIS and case number not yet assigned

12/12/07 ----- CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED AND FILE MAILED TO BANGKOK EMBASSY!

12/15/07 ----- Package received @ Bangkok Embassy

12/18/07 ----- Medical, Police Background

12/22/07 ----- Packet to BKK Embassy

12/26/07 ----- Packet received by BKK Embassy; estimate 3-4 weeks until interview date is scheduled

12/27/07 ----- Packet 4 mailed by Embassy; interview scheduled!!! :-)

01/31/08 ----- SUCCESSFUL Interview: Bangkok Embassy

02/04/08 ----- Pick up Visa

02/05/08 ----- Arrive in U.S.!!!

04/05/08 ----- MARRIED - VIVA LAS VEGAS!

04/29/08 ----- Green Card / Permanent Residence Packet Arrives @ Chicago USCIS

05/05/08 ----- NOA Date

05/22/08 ----- Biometrics Appointment

04/21/09 ----- GREEN CARD ISSUED!

Timeline

Texas...thanks so much for compliment. Best of luck to you as well. I'm sure we'll be communicating many times in the process. I am also trying to get everyone (with Thai spouse) to buy in on the idea of forming an annual get together on a weekend somewhere neutral perhaps next year in Spring time. More to come. Take care.

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

Timeline

Good luck to all.

The hard copy NOA1 isnt really that necessary. The hard/paper copy of the NOA2 is something you'll desperately need. If you don't receive it, then call customer service and have them mail you a new one...youll need it for AOS.

While you're waiting...i'd request tax transcripts from the IRS for the past 3-4 years. You can do this via their website. This will help in proving your financial status to the consulate. Also, get records for any of your phone calls, internet chat logs, 30+ pictures, immigration stamp photocopies, etc.

Also, take her or have her go to the hospital in BKK for her health check-up, and request her police records in BKK also. From what I'm told, it takes about 3 weeks to get them. This will save you some time to get them now.

I wish you the best of luck in this journey my friend. Take care.

I might be wrong but I thought I read a posting here stating that the police certificate is only good for three months. If that is true, you might want to wait until you get an interview date before applying for it.

Does anyone have a definitive answer regarding the expiration time of the police certificate?

Good luck!!

Edited by afterforever

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are also planning to move back to Thailand in the next couple years or so. I've been doing lots of research on visas, dual citizenship and naturalization and might be able to help some of you trying to make decisions. I apologize for the long post, but I hope this helps!

Expedited Naturalization

If you want to live in Thailand with you spouse, there is a way to get your spouse U.S. citizenship while living in Thailand and it completely waves the 3 year waiting period. It's called "Section 319b" and there isn't much information about it, but here are some links below. I am yet to call USCIS to ask about it. They have almost nothing on their website archives.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79520.pdf

http://italy.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/services/N-400.asp

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0525-mehta.shtm

Visas to Thailand

I think the family visa "O" is best for many of our situations but I'm not positive. I'd be interested to hear other's experiences. I have a friend living in Chiang Mai that said he's been able to live there 5 years in a row without leaving the country every 3 months with the help of some 1 year extension for married couples. Not sure what that document is though. Also, I've heard that Honorary Thai Consulates in the U.S. tend to be more forgiving in handing out visa extensions before you leave. I had a good experience with the one in Denver before I was married. Links below.

http://www.thaichicago.net/HonConsul/filhead.htm

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/vis...&%20purpose

http://thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im.htm

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im-o.htm

Dual Citizenship

I talked to 11 different law firms that specialize in Thai/U.S. immigration and got about 5 different answers on whether or not it is legal to do this in Thailand. It is certainly not a problem in the U.S. Based on the web site below and answers from the lawyers, your spouse should be able to obtain U.S. citizenship without affecting his/her status in Thailand. From the lawyers and my own opinion, it makes more long term sense to go through the naturalization process and get U.S. citizenship for your spouse; especially if you plan to return to Thailand.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

http://chanyakomol.com/thailaws/law/t_laws/tlaw0173.htm

Thank you for all your helpful discussion! I'd be up to my neck in legal fees without it! B)

Thanks! This looks like a lot of great info. In the future we can all get together in Thailand for a Visa Journey reunion.

Gene

Gene & Ying

12/23/04 - I-129F petition mailed to NSC

4/28/05 Interview for Visa in Bangkok-Visa Approved!!!!

5/2/05 Arrive in USA together! POE Minneapolis

5/25/05 - MARRIED!!

6/9/05 - Sent in AOS

7/8/05 - Biometrics for AOS complete in Milwaukee(walk-in)

11/16/05 Interview in Milwaukee - AOS APPROVED!!

9/17/07 Mailed in I-751 to NSC

10/15/07 Received NOA - Case transferred to California

12/27/07 E-mail stating that new card is ordered

12/31/07 10 year Green Card received! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

8/22/08 Sent in N-400 for naturalization

11/19/08 Passed the interview

1/12/09 Received letter about oath ceremony

1/29/09 Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!

1/29/09 Changed status at Social Security office, applied for US Passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Texas...thanks so much for compliment. Best of luck to you as well. I'm sure we'll be communicating many times in the process. I am also trying to get everyone (with Thai spouse) to buy in on the idea of forming an annual get together on a weekend somewhere neutral perhaps next year in Spring time. More to come. Take care.

If the timing is right Ying and I would be interested.

Gene

Gene & Ying

12/23/04 - I-129F petition mailed to NSC

4/28/05 Interview for Visa in Bangkok-Visa Approved!!!!

5/2/05 Arrive in USA together! POE Minneapolis

5/25/05 - MARRIED!!

6/9/05 - Sent in AOS

7/8/05 - Biometrics for AOS complete in Milwaukee(walk-in)

11/16/05 Interview in Milwaukee - AOS APPROVED!!

9/17/07 Mailed in I-751 to NSC

10/15/07 Received NOA - Case transferred to California

12/27/07 E-mail stating that new card is ordered

12/31/07 10 year Green Card received! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

8/22/08 Sent in N-400 for naturalization

11/19/08 Passed the interview

1/12/09 Received letter about oath ceremony

1/29/09 Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!

1/29/09 Changed status at Social Security office, applied for US Passport

Timeline

If the timing is right Ying and I would be interested.

Gene

Thanks Gene...I'll make sure everyone has plenty of time to prepare.

Thai Style USA

Our Links:

Timeline

That's great. Best of luck to you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :thumbs:

Thai Style USA

Our Links:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
That's great. Best of luck to you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :thumbs:

Once they got your RFE Reply, you were approved in two days, I'm expecting the same. I have seen may others with the same results :thumbs:

Timeline

I noticed Jamie had gotten RFE too...what's up with that? Are they picking on Thailand now? :angry:

Thai Style USA

Our Links:

Timeline

I see that when everyone gets their medicals done in Thailand they also get the needed vaccinations. Everything I read states that the vaccinations are not necessary until filing for the AOS. Has anyone gotten their visa approved in Thailand without getting the vaccinations there? Since my fiancee would be on my medical plan, it would not cost anything to have her get her vaccinations in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.