mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Kang Lang,

Appointments with the immigrant visa unit are not made on-line. The IVU will schedule the interview when the visa applicant has submitted DS-230-I and the signed statement of readiness for an interview. I believe that there are 2 other items now required also that didn't used ot be - maybe a photocopy of the passport ID page and the visa photographs?

Yodrak

i have another probably dumb question. so my lawyer seems unclear about packet 3, the instructional sheet says do not send anything to the embassy, but in another place we red that you send back the ds230 part 1 but unsigned. we are almost done compiling all of packet 3 and he has his appointment to get his medical on the 17th. he'll pick up his police certificate on the 13th. should we wait until after we have it all done and then go online to make our appointment?

(wish i had not hired a lawyer)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kang Lang,

Appointments with the immigrant visa unit are not made on-line. The IVU will schedule the interview when the visa applicant has submitted DS-230-I and the signed statement of readiness for an interview. I believe that there are 2 other items now required also that didn't used ot be - maybe a photocopy of the passport ID page and the visa photographs?

Yodrak

i have another probably dumb question. so my lawyer seems unclear about packet 3, the instructional sheet says do not send anything to the embassy, but in another place we red that you send back the ds230 part 1 but unsigned. we are almost done compiling all of packet 3 and he has his appointment to get his medical on the 17th. he'll pick up his police certificate on the 13th. should we wait until after we have it all done and then go online to make our appointment?

Thanks a bunch Yodrak!

Lin

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just went through this in March. We sent back the DS-230 part I (unsigned), a photocopy of Rin's passport (information page), two passport photos (with name and case number written on back), and the checklist, signed/dated/case number/address, indicating we had all documents and were ready for the interview (even though technically we didn't yet have the medical completed). Never received a packet 4, but got an e-mail (after sending 3 or 4 to the embassy) two weeks later advising on the interview date.

Good Luck!

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey all!

We are going to send in our packet 3 stuff before receiving the packet (probably mid this week) since the embassy should receive our case early this week. I know everything to include except for where to send it. Is there a special address to send packet 3 checklist and extras or a special heading/notification on the envelope?

Basically, who do we address it too and where?

Thanks!!!

Timeline

01/15/2007 I-129F sent to Nebraska

01/17/2007 I-129 received in Nebraska

01/22/2007 NOA1

01/24/2007 Touched

04/11/2007 Touched

04/19/2007 NOA2

05/08/2007 NVC receives case

05/10/2007 NVC sends case to Bangkok embassy

05/17/2007 Sent packet 3 checklist with additional documents to Bangkok embassy

05/18/2007 Bangkok embassy receives my packet 3 checklist and additional documents

05/18/2007 Bangkok embassy sends packet 3

05/22/2007 Received packet 3 from Bangkok embassy

05/30/2007 Interview date posted on embassy website

06/17/2007 Thai and Christian Wedding Ceremony and Reception!!! (NOTHING LEGALLY RECOGNIZED)

07/05/2007 Interview

07/06/2007 Picked up visa

07/08/2007 Flying to US

07/09/2007 Arriving in Indy

07/10/2007 Getting hitched LEGALLY at small-claims court!!!

07/25/2007 Sent AOS packet to Chicago

07/27/2007 AOS packet received at Chicago

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It says right on the embassy's website : Immigrant documents sent to the U.S. Embassy for a case which is not pending at the Embassy will be destroyed. The Embassy does not have storage facilities for these documents.

Please do not send any of these documents to the Embassy unless instructed to do so. The downloadable documents below are provided solely for those who have cases pending with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and need an additional copy of a document or did not receive the Packet 3 documents by mail.

Important Note:

Receipt of an I-797 Notice of Approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does not indicate that the case is pending with the U.S. Embassy. It takes 2-6 weeks on average for approved cases to arrive at the Embassy. If the applicant or petitioner has not received notice from the Embassy after 6 weeks from receipt of the I-797, you may send an email regarding the status.

You say the embassy "should" receive, but you don't know for sure when they'll receive it and how long it will take to process it, so why send out these documents when you may (probably?) have to send them again?

A lot of your posts on VJ are about getting around the normal, painfully slow immigration process and yes, it sucks and we all sympathize, but it's just something that you have to live with. Stop trying to speed things up because it just won't work and may ultimately backfire on you at some point in the process and then you'll both really be stuck.

Hey all!

We are going to send in our packet 3 stuff before receiving the packet (probably mid this week) since the embassy should receive our case early this week. I know everything to include except for where to send it. Is there a special address to send packet 3 checklist and extras or a special heading/notification on the envelope?

Thanks!!!

Edited by smgx4000

Timeline
It says right on the embassy's website : Immigrant documents sent to the U.S. Embassy for a case which is not pending at the Embassy will be destroyed. The Embassy does not have storage facilities for these documents.

Please do not send any of these documents to the Embassy unless instructed to do so. The downloadable documents below are provided solely for those who have cases pending with the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and need an additional copy of a document or did not receive the Packet 3 documents by mail.

Important Note:

Receipt of an I-797 Notice of Approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does not indicate that the case is pending with the U.S. Embassy. It takes 2-6 weeks on average for approved cases to arrive at the Embassy. If the applicant or petitioner has not received notice from the Embassy after 6 weeks from receipt of the I-797, you may send an email regarding the status.

You say the embassy "should" receive, but you don't know for sure when they'll receive it and how long it will take to process it, so why send out these documents when you may (probably?) have to send them again?

A lot of your posts on VJ are about getting around the normal, painfully slow immigration process and yes, it sucks and we all sympathize, but it's just something that you have to live with. Stop trying to speed things up because it just won't work and may ultimately backfire on you at some point in the process and then you'll both really be stuck.

Hey all!

Thanks!!!

I don't understand your post. It costs 32 Baht to send it EMS to the embassy. It left Thursday via DHL and therefore should be received by Wednesday easy. From this information if I send it on Thursday and it will arrive on Friday. I don't think you are familiar enough with the process. We already have a case number (you can get yours from NVC). It is gamble because there is no downside. The worst is I will have to resend it. Big deal!!! The upside is we cut two weeks out of the process. Your situation may not be dire but ours is. Two weeks earlier could be a year in a nicer apartment for us, closer to campus.

I'm really surprised at your response since is our duty to make it the shortest time possible. Do you pay as much taxes as the government wants you to or do you try to minimize your taxes as much as possible? It is the same philosophy. Why more when it can be less. Rules are meant to be bent to the max.

Luckily a more helpful member has already given me all the information that I need in a pm. Thanks to that member.

Timeline

01/22/2007 NOA1

01/24/2007 Touched

04/11/2007 Touched

04/19/2007 NOA2

05/18/2007 Bangkok embassy receives my packet 3 checklist and additional documents

06/17/2007 Thai and Christian Wedding Ceremony and Reception!!! (NOTHING LEGALLY RECOGNIZED)

07/05/2007 Interview

07/08/2007 Flying to US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Important Note:

Hey all!

Thanks!!!

I don't understand your post. It costs 32 Baht to send it EMS to the embassy. It left Thursday via DHL and therefore should be received by Wednesday easy. From this information if I send it on Thursday and it will arrive on Friday. I don't think you are familiar enough with the process. We already have a case number (you can get yours from NVC). It is gamble because there is no downside. The worst is I will have to resend it. Big deal!!! The upside is we cut two weeks out of the process. Your situation may not be dire but ours is. Two weeks earlier could be a year in a nicer apartment for us, closer to campus.

I'm really surprised at your response since is our duty to make it the shortest time possible. Do you pay as much taxes as the government wants you to or do you try to minimize your taxes as much as possible? It is the same philosophy. Why more when it can be less. Rules are meant to be bent to the max.

Luckily a more helpful member has already given me all the information that I need in a pm. Thanks to that member.

In a perfect world it will arrive on Wed. without delay; however, do you know exactly how long it takes for the embassy to open it, "process" it (i.e., record it in their system of tracking 129F apps), and send out packet 3? Since you don't, why send out packet 3 when it could arrive before they've had a chance to do this and risk having your paperwork thrown out? You say it's "our duty" to make it the shortest time possible. I don't know about a "duty", but we all certainly want it go shorter. Don't you think we all would've done exactly what you're planning to do if there was evidence, on this forum and elsewhere, that it actually worked??

By the way, my situation isn't dire as my husband already has his green card. I've already been through a large part of the whole immigration process and let me tell you, it's not at all like taxes - 99% of the time you go on USCIS time and that's what the most aggravating. Keep it up with the friendly posts; you'll make a lot of friends on these forums.

smgx4000 I dont see the harm in sending the packet 3 before the embassy has acknowledged recieving the case. Worst case scenario, they recieve the packet 3 before recieving the petition, and simply destroy it. What is he losing out of that? DS-230 Part I, passport photos, copy of passport, and signed checklist. All of which are replaceable documents. Dont overdramatize it. The embassy will not destroy the whole case, just because the applicant jumped the gun.

21FUNNY.gif

Timeline

Important Note:

Hey all!

Thanks!!!

In a perfect world it will arrive on Wed. without delay; however, do you know exactly how long it takes for the embassy to open it, "process" it (i.e., record it in their system of tracking 129F apps), and send out packet 3? Since you don't, why send out packet 3 when it could arrive before they've had a chance to do this and risk having your paperwork thrown out? You say it's "our duty" to make it the shortest time possible. I don't know about a "duty", but we all certainly want it go shorter. Don't you think we all would've done exactly what you're planning to do if there was evidence, on this forum and elsewhere, that it actually worked??

By the way, my situation isn't dire as my husband already has his green card. I've already been through a large part of the whole immigration process and let me tell you, it's not at all like taxes - 99% of the time you go on USCIS time and that's what the most aggravating. Keep it up with the friendly posts; you'll make a lot of friends on these forums.

I really don't understand you. I did not make a non-friendly post. YOU DID! I simply asked a question and you jumped down my throat about it.

Matt is simply right in saying what I am saying. All I will lose is some worthless documents. I can always resend it if they do get destroyed. I don't know why you are making a big deal of this. And I didn't say your situation was dire, I said mine is. That is why I am trying to cut the time down all the time. I'm sorry you don't agree with me trying to shorten my time here in Thailand but you don't have to attack me over it. This is supposed to be a site of support and assistance.

Edited by aitian

Timeline

01/22/2007 NOA1

01/24/2007 Touched

04/11/2007 Touched

04/19/2007 NOA2

07/05/2007 Interview

07/08/2007 Flying to US

Timeline

I would like to apologize to everyone on the Sawasdee thread. I should not have flooded this current page with a childish argument. This was the first time I have ever felt I was being personally attacked on a forum and could not stop myself from responding. I know I hate it when others turn a thread into a personal argument. I will not make anymore posts that are not conducive to this forum.

Sincerely,

Josh

Timeline

01/22/2007 NOA1

01/24/2007 Touched

04/11/2007 Touched

04/19/2007 NOA2

07/05/2007 Interview

07/08/2007 Flying to US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Josh:

We waited a couple of days after the embassy received our petition to let them process it, then sent packet three in. We had no problems.

Removing Conditions

11/26/07 Mailed I-751

03/27/08 10 year green card approved

N-400

12/01/08 Mailed

12/24/08 check cashed

12/23/08 Noa-1

01/14/09 Biometrics

03/20/09 Interview

05/05/09 Oath

josh,

we are pretty close in timeline, i started prepping packet 3 in hopes to finish before my fiance received it too, it took about 3 weeks from transfer from nvc to my bf receiving packet 3. so you jumping ahead is very unlikely to make much of a difference may want to wait say 7business days from transfer point and then you won't even worry about having to run extra copies :D. GOOD LUCK! Who knows we could be in the embassy at the very same time!

So anyways I have a question about the i-134 probably asked here other times but will ask again (sorry)

i do not have a lot of money in my savings account about $500 is that a big deal? i have no problem meeting the income requirements at all according to the standards outlined (they seem to think i could support a family of 10+ on my income hahaha..UH NO!) and i do have a decent amount in my 401k would i need to bring that to substantiate my i-134 doc?

any help is appreciated

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

Just wondering what phone cards other people on this thread use to call Thailand. I have been using the Mega Clean and Stable card (www.uniontelecard.com) which charges four cents a minute with no connection or maintence fees. It rounds up to one minute. This card is great if you call Thailand during the day. The connection is usually very clear. The problem is at night you have to call several times before you get a clear connection. Makes no sense to me why it is bad at night. I am calling from California to my fiancee's cell phone. Hoping someone has a better card than this.

I would like to apologize to everyone on the Sawasdee thread. I should not have flooded this current page with a childish argument. This was the first time I have ever felt I was being personally attacked on a forum and could not stop myself from responding. I know I hate it when others turn a thread into a personal argument. I will not make anymore posts that are not conducive to this forum.

Sincerely,

Josh

Hey Josh,

I downloaded the forms from the website and sent in the information early as well, prior to receiving pkt 3. I believe I downloaded the checklist/DS-230 and also sent two photos and a copy of our passport picture pages. In our case, this saved us about 3 weeks.

Good luck to you and your fiancee on your Visa Trip! You're getting close!

Peace,

Mark-N-AAm

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.