elmcitymaven

Friday whinge from the maven

92 posts in this topic

I've never seen a skunk (okay, so I have seen plenty of skunks, it's just that they were all dead and flattened at the side of the road), but I did see the cutest animal ever the other week. Was walking along with my husband then stopped dead and started prodding him, going 'look.... look.... what is THAT?!?!?'.

It was a groundhog, apparently (if C's animal-identifying skills are to be trusted). Soooo cute, bumbling along the riverbank munching on random plants as he went by. Never seen one of those before, either! :blush:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I've never seen a skunk (okay, so I have seen plenty of skunks, it's just that they were all dead and flattened at the side of the road), but I did see the cutest animal ever the other week. Was walking along with my husband then stopped dead and started prodding him, going 'look.... look.... what is THAT?!?!?'.

It was a groundhog, apparently (if C's animal-identifying skills are to be trusted). Soooo cute, bumbling along the riverbank munching on random plants as he went by. Never seen one of those before, either! :blush:

Was it...was it....Punxsutawney Phil? :o Is Spring coming early this year? Do tell! :lol:

Oooo, Tuesday whinge! Here's mine: my boss will not stop talking to himself. And when I say talk, I mean, kind of grunty noises with the occasional "yes!" thrown in. I sit immediately across from him, and I love him to death, but please! Can the grunting. :rolleyes:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
Oooo, Tuesday whinge! Here's mine: my boss will not stop talking to himself. And when I say talk, I mean, kind of grunty noises with the occasional "yes!" thrown in. I sit immediately across from him, and I love him to death, but please! Can the grunting. :rolleyes:

I'd start backing away...reeeeeal slowly. :P

Gosh - that is very scary! Particularly with rabies here in the US.

I HATE skunks. Had one spray UNDER my house a few months after I moved in. Ever since, I laugh with glee when I see one smashed on the side of the road (which is SO unlike me, I'm such a huge animal lover!).

Not all skunks have rabies; it's a concern but you're so unlikely to pick up rabies from a wild animal.

Obviously - but I'd still rather not find out!!!

SA4userbar.jpg

I'd start backing away...reeeeeal slowly. :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Top tip, mags!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline
Gosh - that is very scary! Particularly with rabies here in the US.

I HATE skunks. Had one spray UNDER my house a few months after I moved in. Ever since, I laugh with glee when I see one smashed on the side of the road (which is SO unlike me, I'm such a huge animal lover!).

Not all skunks have rabies; it's a concern but you're so unlikely to pick up rabies from a wild animal.

Obviously - but I'd still rather not find out!!!

Rabies sucks, but there are so few human cases per year. If you have close contact with a wild animal you should call a doctor to see if he thinks you should have the rabies series. I hear it's only five shots in the arm now instead of 18 in the abdomen, like my brother had to have when he was bitten by a squirrel. There was a case of a boy dying of rabies in Houston recently; he was bitten by a bat but he didn't even realize he had been bitten until he actually developed rabies, by which point it's usually too late to save someone.

It's so unlikely to happen, though. It's good to be cautious but don't let it keep you from enjoying nature.

As for skunks...once I was bringing groceries into my apartment in Austin and there was a skunk on the path between me and my front door and I couldn't get around it so I put my bags down and threw acorns at it to get it to go away. It just sort of skulked off slowly. :lol: Another time there was a raccoon at my front door and those things are pretty aggressive so I went next door to get the neighbor to help me. He suggested shooting it. :lol: He actually did point a shotgun at it and it ran off. I guess that wasn't the first time it had seen a gun. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Well, I was also thinking of Lou Lou's cat for the rabies as well in case the two of them got into it - not to mention what a fight between a cat and a skunk might look like! (Yikes!!)

Oh and don't worry, I don't 'enjoy nature' much anyway. Roughing it, to me, is a Holiday Inn with no cable. BWAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Was it...was it....Punxsutawney Phil? :o Is Spring coming early this year? Do tell! :lol:

:blush::blush::blush: I had to Google him, I am embarrassed to admit - then I went 'oh yeah!' - duh. :blush:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

tuesday weather winge - if you don't hear from after tonight it's because i've drowned trying to cycle home - the weather here in Wales is a little damp.

I've been thinking about bottling the rain water and selling it - if i give it a welsh name like 'Glaw Cymraeg' (welsh rain) i think people might buy it - there's a guy out there who sells Welsh air in bottles, so why not rain water!

Met in Wales November 2004

Got engaged Feb 2007

Sent I-129F to NSC Mar 6th 2007

Embassy interview 11th Sep 2007

Arrived in US 15th Sep 2007

Married Oct 12th 2007

Sent AOS forms Nov 13th 2007

Biometrics Dec 14th 2007

EAD/AP received Jan 22nd 2008

Green Card interview Mar 23rd 2008

Timeline

:blush::blush::blush: I had to Google him, I am embarrassed to admit - then I went 'oh yeah!' - duh. :blush:

Hehehehe!

Well, I was also thinking of Lou Lou's cat for the rabies as well in case the two of them got into it - not to mention what a fight between a cat and a skunk might look like! (Yikes!!)

Oh and don't worry, I don't 'enjoy nature' much anyway. Roughing it, to me, is a Holiday Inn with no cable. BWAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

:lol:

Luckily the cat was clinging to the covers as much as me saying there's no way I'm dealing with THAT. She's had her shots too cos there's too much wildlife around here.

It was a baby one so it didn't smell at all which was a huuuge relief. I think it cacked itself cos it realized it really shouldn't have wandered in, bless it.

So, I'm still having trubs loading the pic. Unfortunately it is of the poo, not the skunk, as funnily enough I didn't have a camera with me by the bed. :ph34r: But maybe no one wants to see skunk poo anyway. :lol:

That had me cracking up Lou Lou! Only in Vermont! :lol:

My Mom has had bears, moose, fishers, what she thinks might have been a bobcat, and a cow in her yard. But never a skunk and never in her house.

What the heck is a fisher? I haven't seen a bear yet, but have seen several mooses. Nearly crashed the car out of excitement though. Damn furreners. :blush:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Do baby skunks not have the stench? I didn't know that! (Too bad that wasn't what waddled under my house...!)

Good that the cat stayed away. You never know if the hunter or the wimp personality will show up in such a situation! :lol: (My cat would have wimped out too, I'm quite sure...!)

SA4userbar.jpg

Do baby skunks not have the stench? I didn't know that! (Too bad that wasn't what waddled under my house...!)

Good that the cat stayed away. You never know if the hunter or the wimp personality will show up in such a situation! :lol: (My cat would have wimped out too, I'm quite sure...!)

Well, they probably do, but all adult ones I've come across stink to high heaven so I imagined it hadn't gone into full fledged spray mode yet. But I'm a townie and have no friggin clue about them. All I know is they stink and I don't want them in my house. :lol: The cat refused to come in the office until all evidence was removed and cleaned and now she's happily chasing a moth. Much more her type of prey.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Back to whingeing....my feet are killing me. I wore these stupid, pointy shoes today and we walked to a far restaurant for lunch. A very bad decision on my part. I am virtually crippled.

OK, maybe just a tad dramatic, but they really hurt!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.