An D

Report of Marriage (utah zoom marriage)

21 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, An D said:

If the maiden name is on it, how can my wife get her Postal ID/Passport updated with her married name since she has to present the PSA RoM/marriage certificate/whatever to get either of those?

Because your name is on it and you're her husband. If she signs up for a passport or any other ID she will be entitled to use your last name because you're listed as her husband on the document.

2 minutes ago, An D said:

I will submit the I-130 with her married name, and the goal was to have everything with the married name. I definitely want to make sure I understand the process when it comes to names before I do any of this...otherwise, I can submit the I-130 with her maiden name, but I don't know how that impacts the process. And I don't know how difficult it is to get all this adjusted to the married name later after she has her green card. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but all my research seems to indicate it doesn't matter if you use your wife's maiden name on her I-130 and DS-260. The only thing that will matter is which name is on her passport when she attends her interview. They will use that. You just need to be careful to list all the names she goes by when asked (maiden and married).

3 minutes ago, Corgent said:

Because your name is on it and you're her husband. If she signs up for a passport or any other ID she will be entitled to use your last name because you're listed as her husband on the document.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but all my research seems to indicate it doesn't matter if you use your wife's maiden name on her I-130 and DS-260. The only thing that will matter is which name is on her passport when she attends her interview. They will use that. You just need to be careful to list all the names she goes by when asked (maiden and married).

Thank you for clarifying my confusion. Much appreciated. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, An D said:

yes, she doesn't have a passport, but the consulate said postal id is sufficient for ROM. the plan was to send in the ROM and the I-130 at the same time - hoping the ROM is processed to PSA in time for it being necessary for the visa. then, once PSA marriage certificate is available, take it to have her postal ID adjusted for the married name as well as get the passport in the married name - at that point everything should be in her married name that matters, I think.

also, i assume the marriage certificate PSA gives out will match the name on the marriage certificate issued by Utah County, USA (which will have the married name)? 

A couple years back they added a photo to the postal ID which then made it widely accepted in the Phils.

Did you use traditional naming format, if not PSA will "correct that".     Philippines requires a naming format when getting married.    Her maiden surname will become her middle name and your last name will be come her new surname.  Just how it is in the Philippines.  

Not all marriage certificates list the new married name, that is more or less choosen by the new spouse.    You can ask John on this, his step-son is completing this process as well.

ROM  was only taking about 6-8 weeks but with all these ZOOM weddings through Utah things have backed up big time, hopefully PSA will get it back to the consulate, then you before your petition moves to NVC.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 6 months later...

As an update, my step son received his ROM paperwork from the San Francisco Consulate yesterday.  So he is officially married in the Philippines and the rest of the world too.  The Utah online wedding made it all possible and he was married when he made it back to the Philippines the day before his son was born.  Everything, including the timing worked out great!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, John & Rose said:

As an update, my step son received his ROM paperwork from the San Francisco Consulate yesterday.  So he is officially married in the Philippines and the rest of the world too.  The Utah online wedding made it all possible and he was married when he made it back to the Philippines the day before his son was born.  Everything, including the timing worked out great!

What was the timeline from filing ROM to receiving the completed paperwork back from the Consulate?    :)  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

30 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

What was the timeline from filing ROM to receiving the completed paperwork back from the Consulate?    :)  

They are quoting 4 months now but we were just a couple days over 3 months. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.