An D

Report of Marriage (utah zoom marriage)

21 posts in this topic

hello,

after getting married in the USA via a utah zoom marriage and consummating the marriage in person, two questions:

1. do you have to file Report of Marriage with the Philippines consulate prior to filing the I-130, or is the fact the USA recognizes it enough? 

2. to file the Report of Marriage with the Philippines consulate, what is all required? I already read their website, but it is confusing due to the following:

"If submitting the ROM by mail, item 20 in all four (4) duly-accomplished ROM forms must be notarized by a Notary Public."

- This is impossible if the Filipino is not in the country. How do you get around this for Utah Zoom marriage? She cannot sign it and have it notarized if she isn't here. 

"Four (4) photocopies of valid passport of both husband and wife, together with any of the following:

For the Filipino National (proof of Philippine Citizenship) – submit copies of Resident Alien Card/ Permanent Resident Card and/or Philippine Dual Citizenship (Birth Certificate/Report of Birth or Identification Certificate, Oath of Allegiance, and Order of Approval), copy of visa (if tourist, leisure or business purpose), job contract or working permit (if working abroad at the time of marriage)"

- Is her passport 100% required to file in this online marriage situation? She is still working on obtaining this, as she has never left the country or had a reason to get it prior to this (and the I-130) process. She does have a valid Postal ID card, but I assume this is not sufficient in this instance? Likewise, no visa exists yet of any kind, so not sure what to show for this.

I have also reached out to the consulate directly but have not heard back yet. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this process. I've also heard here and there that you need an apostille to certify the marriage certificate? is this still true? 

6 minutes ago, Chancy said:

ROM is not required to file I-130.

but further down the process it undoubtedly is required right? for her to get the passport with the correct married name, and attend the CFO thing? 

1 minute ago, An D said:

for her to get the passport with the correct married name, and attend the CFO thing? 

Yes, your wife will need to present the ROM document if she wants her PH passport to list her married name.  And yes, CFO will ask for the ROM.

2 hours ago, An D said:

"If submitting the ROM by mail, item 20 in all four (4) duly-accomplished ROM forms must be notarized by a Notary Public."

- This is impossible if the Filipino is not in the country. How do you get around this for Utah Zoom marriage? She cannot sign it and have it notarized if she isn't here. 

2 hours ago, Chancy said:

Yes, your wife will need to present the ROM document if she wants her PH passport to list her married name.  And yes, CFO will ask for the ROM.

I see that it can take 6 months to 1 year to get the PSA marriage certificate, at least that's what the consulate website says. how does this impact her ability to get a passport with her married last name, and to complete the CFO seminar? if we go through with i-130 but the certificate from PSA takes 6 months to 1 year, how does that impact our ability to complete the i-130 process to obtain the visa and her leaving the Philippines? or is the PSA marriage certificate irrelevant? 

40 minutes ago, An D said:

I see that it can take 6 months to 1 year to get the PSA marriage certificate, at least that's what the consulate website says. how does this impact her ability to get a passport with her married last name, and to complete the CFO seminar?

Unless you are super lucky, you and your wife will likely have to wait 1 year or so before her visa interview.  That would normally be enough time to complete the ROM process and get the PSA-registered ROM.

11 hours ago, An D said:

- Is her passport 100% required to file in this online marriage situation? She is still working on obtaining this, as she has never left the country or had a reason to get it prior to this (and the I-130) process. She does have a valid Postal ID card, but I assume this is not sufficient in this instance? Likewise, no visa exists yet of any kind, so not sure what to show for this.

I know someone who successfully reported their marriage whose wife did not have a passport. I would submit the paperwork without a copy of the passport, but work on getting it ASAP. Throw in a copy of the postal ID and any other forms of identification for good measure.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You will want the PSA copy of the marriage certifcate for DFA to get her passport in her married name.   I also suggest you file the I-130 in her married name even if the PSA certificate has not been issued yet. You will want the visa and later the green card to be in her married name, yes?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

You will want the PSA copy of the marriage certifcate for DFA to get her passport in her married name.   I also suggest you file the I-130 in her married name even if the PSA certificate has not been issued yet. You will want the visa and later the green card to be in her married name, yes?

yes, she doesn't have a passport, but the consulate said postal id is sufficient for ROM. the plan was to send in the ROM and the I-130 at the same time - hoping the ROM is processed to PSA in time for it being necessary for the visa. then, once PSA marriage certificate is available, take it to have her postal ID adjusted for the married name as well as get the passport in the married name - at that point everything should be in her married name that matters, I think.

also, i assume the marriage certificate PSA gives out will match the name on the marriage certificate issued by Utah County, USA (which will have the married name)? 

My step son went to the Philippines and got the forms signed by his wife about a month after the wedding.  That is required and it is NOT impossible.  She can even sign them, get them notarized and mail them back to the spouse in the states where he signs them and gets them notarized.  It really isn't that difficult.  ROM is not required but it can be accomplished even when one spouse in out of the country.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

My step son went to the Philippines and got the forms signed by his wife about a month after the wedding.  That is required and it is NOT impossible.  She can even sign them, get them notarized and mail them back to the spouse in the states where he signs them and gets them notarized.  It really isn't that difficult.  ROM is not required but it can be accomplished even when one spouse in out of the country.

yeah, we will get them signed. let me ask this - does it matter if we both sign them and have both signatures notarized in Philippines while im there? or does my signature need to be notarized in the US for some reason? 

2 minutes ago, An D said:

yeah, we will get them signed. let me ask this - does it matter if we both sign them and have both signatures notarized in Philippines while im there? or does my signature need to be notarized in the US for some reason? 

No, but each signature needs to be notarized.  I've heard of people with two different notaries on two different dates and they already received their PSA marriage certificate.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, An D said:

also, i assume the marriage certificate PSA gives out will match the name on the marriage certificate issued by Utah County, USA (which will have the married name)? 

Keep in mind it is not technically a marriage certificate, it is a PSA authenticated copy of your Report of Marriage. A copy of the same form which you have notarized and submit to the San Francisco Consulate. Meaning you are the one who writes the names on it. That said, you will only write your wife's maiden information on it.

3 minutes ago, Corgent said:

Keep in mind it is not technically a marriage certificate, it is a PSA authenticated copy of your Report of Marriage. A copy of the same form which you have notarized and submit to the San Francisco Consulate. Meaning you are the one who writes the names on it. That said, you will only write your wife's maiden information on it.

If the maiden name is on it, how can my wife get her Postal ID/Passport updated with her married name since she has to present the PSA RoM/marriage certificate/whatever to get either of those?

I will submit the I-130 with her married name, and the goal was to have everything with the married name. I definitely want to make sure I understand the process when it comes to names before I do any of this...otherwise, I can submit the I-130 with her maiden name, but I don't know how that impacts the process. And I don't know how difficult it is to get all this adjusted to the married name later after she has her green card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.