meandterry

N-400 Naturalization Evidence

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

OP, you will be fine. As I said, you are not getting any immigration benefit that you would not be getting had you stated the facts correctly. Don't sweat it.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

My children were under 18 when we got married almost 15 years ago

We also have two of our own

We did not list or mention my children on the N-400 application.  It never came up in the interview.  They are grown, they are USC’s born to USC’s, and have nothing to do with my wife’s citizenship or application.  Our two children were listed because they are ours and live with us.

The N-400 was approved and the  passport arrived last week.

If it’s a worry, bring it up at the interview.  In our case grown, independent children from a previous marriage were not viewed as “stepchildren” and listed or not are not material to the outcome of the case.  Dont worry about it.

Edited by iwannaplay54

15 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Yes, but prior to answering OP's question, you should have resorted to the Policy Manual. Chapter 8, section A, "Definition of a Child": Third bullet point:

• The stepchild of a U.S. citizen or LPR parent who is under 18 at the time of the marriage, creating the step-relationship;

That doesn't seem to be OP's case.

OP, were any of the children under 18 when you married?

If the policy manual needed to be checked they should say so in the application 😂

Timeline
4 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

If the policy manual needed to be checked they should say so in the application 😂

Well, here’s the thing. In all my years being in the immigration mambo Jambo, I have found that the questions on the forms are sometimes not really… well- worded or self- explanatory to say the least. Neither are the instructions. Tier 1 officers are also of little help. Attorneys mess up big time, and in the end, nobody cares about your case as much as you do. So to me, reading the Policy Manual gives me peace of mind in the sense that if anybody wants to give me grief about the forms and my answers, I can always resort to the policy manual to show them what the policy is. And they will because sometimes, even the IOS don’t know their own policy manual.

Ultimately, those should govern your application. 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 2/1/2022 at 11:55 PM, iwannaplay54 said:

My children were under 18 when we got married almost 15 years ago

We also have two of our own

We did not list or mention my children on the N-400 application.  It never came up in the interview.  They are grown, they are USC’s born to USC’s, and have nothing to do with my wife’s citizenship or application.  Our two children were listed because they are ours and live with us.

The N-400 was approved and the  passport arrived last week.

If it’s a worry, bring it up at the interview.  In our case grown, independent children from a previous marriage were not viewed as “stepchildren” and listed or not are not material to the outcome of the case.  Dont worry about it.

Ty

Filed: Timeline

Ok, on this topic of prior marriage and stepchildren. How does any of that information pertain to the naturalization of my current wife? I've been looking for a way to contact USCIS directly on this matter but can not find any way to ask questions to them. I know for me, if my ex wife's new husband was going for naturalization and he put my information on this form, I would be extremely pissed. First, I did not give anyone permission to put my information anywhere and I sure as hell wouldn't want any of my kids information being used either. Second, it's none of the uS governments business who my ex wife or my previous kids are or their information for my current wife to become naturalized. I want to know if leaving this information off the n-400 form will create problems for her to become naturalized. Is there anyone in this group who knows absolutely or knows where I can go to find out? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, VR3523 said:

How does any of that information pertain to the naturalization of my current wife? I've

Instructions say that ALL children must be listed, including stepchildren. So yes, stepchildren pertain to the N400.

I've been looking for a way to contact USCIS directly on this matter but can not find any way to ask questions to them. I

They won’t. Agents cannot advice you on how to fill out a form.

. I know for me, if my ex wife's new husband was going for naturalization and he put my information on this form, I would be extremely pissed

You don’t need the other parent’s information, just the child’s information.

any of my kids information being used either

But you have to list them, as per their instructions.

I want to know if leaving this information off the n-400 form will create problems

Not listing her stepchildren is wrong because she has to list them. I don’t know that’s material misrepresentation, but it is a way of misrepresenting herself.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

13 hours ago, VR3523 said:

Ok, on this topic of prior marriage and stepchildren. How does any of that information pertain to the naturalization of my current wife? I've been looking for a way to contact USCIS directly on this matter but can not find any way to ask questions to them. I know for me, if my ex wife's new husband was going for naturalization and he put my information on this form, I would be extremely pissed. First, I did not give anyone permission to put my information anywhere and I sure as hell wouldn't want any of my kids information being used either. Second, it's none of the uS governments business who my ex wife or my previous kids are or their information for my current wife to become naturalized. I want to know if leaving this information off the n-400 form will create problems for her to become naturalized. Is there anyone in this group who knows absolutely or knows where I can go to find out? 

I did not put my grown children from previous marriage on my wife’s N-400 app, good luck to them if they have a problem and want to come take her US passport back because of that.  
I did put my ex-wife’s info on the form.  Who cares where her info goes and since USCIS asked for it they got it

Timeline
39 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

I did put my ex-wife’s info on the form

You’re the USC, right? 
if the n400 is for your wife, then why is your ex’s info relevant? I’m confused 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

4 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

You’re the USC, right? 
if the n400 is for your wife, then why is your ex’s info relevant? I’m confused 

They ask for information on USC’s previous spouse.  It’s the same information they ask for when you file the original I-130

In addition, you have to submit divorce decree, etc, much like I-130, I-485, etc

Essentially they seem to rebuild the whole original file

Worse they ask for date of previous marriage, which I forgot LOL but luckily it was in the old divorce petition

Edited by iwannaplay54

Timeline
2 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

They ask for information on USC’s previous spouse.  It’s the same information they ask for when you file the original I-130

In addition, you have to submit divorce decree, etc, much like I-130, I-485, etc

Essentially they seem to rebuild the whole original file

Worse they ask for date of previous marriage, which I forgot LOL but luckily it was in the old divorce petition

Oh ok! I mean I’m still a year from filing, but I must have missed that part 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

58 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

I did not put my grown children from previous marriage on my wife’s N-400 app, good luck to them if they have a problem and want to come take her US passport back because of that.  
I did put my ex-wife’s info on the form.  Who cares where her info goes and since USCIS asked for it they got it

Not so much I care about her information or what she does with it but, I like to be a fair man. like I said originally, if I would know that her new husband put my information on this paper and sent it to the uS government, I'd be pissed and looking to sue him for life. I didn't give him or anyone my permission to use my information, I extend the same. It's no longer my place to use her information. 

9 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Instructions say that ALL children must be listed, including stepchildren. So yes, stepchildren pertain to the N400.

They won’t. Agents cannot advice you on how to fill out a form.

You don’t need the other parent’s information, just the child’s information.

But you have to list them, as per their instructions.

Not listing her stepchildren is wrong because she has to list them. I don’t know that’s material misrepresentation, but it is a way of misrepresenting herself.

Instructions also say all previous marriages. Also, what is it there business of my previous marriage children? I'm not looking to get advice on how to fill out the form, its quite self explanatory, I want them to explain to me what is it their business to know my previous marriages or children, IT'S NOT! This is my wife's immigration, not mine, I was born here a free man. It's not misrepresenting herself if she is not given the information to include on the form.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.