meandterry

N-400 Naturalization Evidence

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi y'all,

So I started to file online, they ask me birth certificate of my husband children which they are not legally adopted by me, one daughter is deceased about my age and one daughter is older a year to me

what should I do if I can't provide these docs: BIRTH CERTIFICATE, COURT ORDER NAMING YOU AS A CHILD PARENT AND FINAL ADOPTION CERTIFICATE OR DECREE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I’m not a fan of filing N-400 online and this seems to be yet another reason.   

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-2

Although a stepchild may be the stepparent’s “child” for purposes of visa issuance, the stepchild is not the stepparent’s “child” for purposes of citizenship and naturalization. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I have a stepchild and this is exactly why I am not going to file online, unless they make it more organized and allow you to skip steps and documentation that do not pertain to you. 
Ditch the online filing and go back to old paper and snail mail.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

11 hours ago, meandterry said:

Hi y'all,

So I started to file online, they ask me birth certificate of my husband children which they are not legally adopted by me, one daughter is deceased about my age and one daughter is older a year to me

what should I do if I can't provide these docs: BIRTH CERTIFICATE, COURT ORDER NAMING YOU AS A CHILD PARENT AND FINAL ADOPTION CERTIFICATE OR DECREE

The USC’s children from previous marriage do not have anything to do with your citizenship application.

Your application, your children if applicable.  We just wrapped up citizenship and the application does not ask for anything but information on the APPLICANTS (Immigrants) children.

We filed online.  It was painless.  If you do not have children this section does not apply to you.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Timeline
22 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

The USC’s children from previous marriage do not have anything to do with your citizenship application.

Your application, your children if applicable.  We just wrapped up citizenship and the application does not ask for anything but information on the APPLICANTS (Immigrants) children.

We filed online.  It was painless.  If you do not have children this section does not apply to you.

It is confusing, though. Been navigating those waters already. 
USCIS does not distinguish between “stepchildren “ and “children” when you marry your spouse, and their child is a minor. If the child is older than 18 then there’s nothing to worry about.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

It is confusing, though. Been navigating those waters already. 
USCIS does not distinguish between “stepchildren “ and “children” when you marry your spouse, and their child is a minor. If the child is older than 18 then there’s nothing to worry about.

Yes it is confusing.  My husband is preparing to file an N-400 in May of this year.  In all prior forms completed for his spousal visa and ROC, he did not list my 4 adult children as his "children," because stepchildren were not mentioned on any of those forms.  However, the N-400 does define "children" as all children, including stepchildren. Part 11 (attached).  It does not mention on the N-400 that they must be under 18.  So we are still trying to figure out what to do.  My research shows that some have included adult stepchildren on the N-400, others have not.  Maybe it doesn't matter because the definition is not 100% clear.

N-400 Part 11.JPG

Timeline
42 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Yes it is confusing.  My husband is preparing to file an N-400 in May of this year.  In all prior forms completed for his spousal visa and ROC, he did not list my 4 adult children as his "children," because stepchildren were not mentioned on any of those forms.  However, the N-400 does define "children" as all children, including stepchildren. Part 11 (attached).  It does not mention on the N-400 that they must be under 18.  So we are still trying to figure out what to do.  My research shows that some have included adult stepchildren on the N-400, others have not.  Maybe it doesn't matter because the definition is not 100% clear.

N-400 Part 11.JPG

With things like these, I always go to the Policy manual
It says that “stepchildren” are under 18 at the time of marriage, which doesn’t seem to be your case.

My research shows me that children and stepchildren become more relevant when they are the immigrant’s bio children and there are a plans to sponsor them in the future. Not your case.

I personally would not include them, and would explain it at the interview.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi y'all,

I finally applied online last night and this morning they send me update that approximately 14 months.

Is this a normal timeline, takes linger than I thought

Thank you

Timeline
17 minutes ago, meandterry said:

Hi y'all,

I finally applied online last night and this morning they send me update that approximately 14 months.

Thank you

Hi, quick question: what did you do about your stepdaughter BC? Did you have to submit it?

In my experience, timelines are accurate. I have never heard of an N400 taking so long. What's your FO?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My own was 15 months from application to Oath. 

Just depends on the office dealing with your application and your specific case. One of my friends applied to the same office two months after me and she is still waiting for an interview. She will be 2 years this coming May

Edited by B52Boozer

Lover and hubby to 1, Daddy to 2. I do enjoy growing older but not growing up.

A filthy, dirty oilfield engineer.

N400 through marriage to another filthy dirty oilfield engineer.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, meandterry said:

Hi y'all,

Hi! When you married your husband automatically his kids are Your stepchildren .He doesnt have their birth certificate? Maybe asked his ex wife a copy of their kids' birth and death certificate?

4 hours ago, meandterry said:

Hi Rocio0010

I did not include my stepdaighter since she is older than me and she is not in my custody,  i will explain it during interview

It would help during your interview if you write it legibly on a piece of bond paper your explanation about your stepchildren.

14 hours ago, meandterry said:

Hi y'all,

Thank you

Hi! that is just an estimate. it may be shorter than that or longer. Best Wishes 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.