Naos

Do I still need an I20 after filing I485

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I don't understand much of this website yet. I'm trying to fill out my profile but can't really make out what all the acronyms mean. 

My question is if anyone know if I still need an I20 for flight training after submitting and I485?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I'd like to have some reference to where it's referenced. 

2009 got married to my American wife (5 children) 

Entered the states in Aug 2021 on I20

Started flight training in September

Filled I485 in December

Received the receipt 15 jan 2022.

Biometrics appointment is on the 9th of Feb. 

My I20 will expire in March. The I20 is tied to my flight school. I want to change flight schools. Normally I'd need a new I20,.... but having this pending status, do I still need that I20?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No you don't but I'd suggest you do till you get GC, just incase things backfire 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends if you want to keep F1 status whether your new school requires status.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Timona said:

No you don't but I'd suggest you do till you get GC, just incase things backfire 

Ok, if I understand you correctly you are saying: It would be advisable to keep the I20 active for as long as possible. 

One extra question on this / catch 22. In order to get a new I20 I would need to leave the country, but if I leave the country I cancel my I485 (unless I get that travel permission). So would you suggest getting a new I20 (if I can travel) then traveling in on the I20? Or do I fly in on the pending adjustment of status? 

Last thing I want is to complicate things. 

22 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Depends if you want to keep F1 status whether your new school requires status.

In this case I have an M1 not F1. Not sure if that changes anything. And wouldn't the visa type be a thing that concerns immigration rather than the school itself? Then the TSA is charged by allowing aliens to enrol in a flight school. 

I very much appreciate your time! Thank you. If you have any tips of who else to ask / lawyer wise,... I'm open. 

Timeline

Not sure why I said F but yes no difference.

You are here under the colour of law whilst changing status if you abandon your M1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You are here under the colour of law whilst changing status if you abandon your M1

So I'd be here by the grace of the administration (I had to Google that term, haha).

Do you have any suggestions / What would you do in my shoes? 

Timeline

I have a preference to keep status if  I can, just good Insurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Naos said:

Ok, if I understand you correctly you are saying: It would be advisable to keep the I20 active for as long as possible. 

One extra question on this / catch 22. In order to get a new I20 I would need to leave the country, but if I leave the country I cancel my I485 (unless I get that travel permission). So would you suggest getting a new I20 (if I can travel) then traveling in on the I20? Or do I fly in on the pending adjustment of status? 

Last thing I want is to complicate things. 

In this case I have an M1 not F1. Not sure if that changes anything. And wouldn't the visa type be a thing that concerns immigration rather than the school itself? Then the TSA is charged by allowing aliens to enrol in a flight school. 

I very much appreciate your time! Thank you. If you have any tips of who else to ask / lawyer wise,... I'm open. 

You can go across the border and get a new I-20.

I'll suggest you stay put. Regardless, I-20s expire. It's the I-94 that's important. 

I was on F-1. By the time I got married, my I-20 had long expired. However, I still had time on my I-94.

So final answer. Do nothing. Go ahead and AOS as soon as you can. Just keep going to school. Change your school next year. 

By the way, if you're married to a USC, as soon as you file, you can drop out. However, so as not to delay getting your Degree/ just to be safe, just keep going to school. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.