Hwezzy

K1 fiancé or Marriage visa, which is processed quicker?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi there, I have been looking through several different forums at the expected wait times for these two different visas being processed in the UK.

I was just wondering what the general consensus was surrounding which would be most appropriate. My main priority would be reducing physical distance so whichever would allow me to stay with my partner the soonest and which would have the greatest success rate.

Which is processed the quickest and which would be most appropriate for a situation where the main priority would be reducing the distance?

Thank you for your help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They are both about the same CR1 is much better overall.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Hwezzy said:

Hi there, I have been looking through several different forums at the expected wait times for these two different visas being processed in the UK.

I was just wondering what the general consensus was surrounding which would be most appropriate. My main priority would be reducing physical distance so whichever would allow me to stay with my partner the soonest and which would have the greatest success rate.

Which is processed the quickest and which would be most appropriate for a situation where the main priority would be reducing the distance?

Thank you for your help

Have a look here at the timelines for K1 visa for the UK 

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?op6=All&op66=All&op7=United+Kingdom&op1=3&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op5=5%2C6%2C8%2C10%2C11%2C13%2C14%2C15%2C16%2C17%2C18%2C20%2C21%2C22%2C25%2C26%2C27%2C28%2C108%2C110%2C111%2C208%2C210%2C211&cfl=

And CR1/IR1 visa for the UK

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=0&op1=3&op2=d&op3=5&op4=1&op5=5,6,8,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18,20,21,22,25,26,27,28,108,110,111,208,210,211&op6=All&op66=All&op7=United Kingdom&dfile=No&adv=

Currently for K1 NOA2 takes about 11 months. Members who filed in March and April 2021 are still waiting for the I-129F to be approved whilst one member filed the spousal visa in March 2021 and had an interview in January 2022. Your process might be faster or slower but you should aim for 18-24 months before the beneficiary can move to the States. 

*The medical exam and interview are the only things that are actually processed in the UK itself. 

UK applicants are thrown into the pool of the US immigration system just like everyone around the world who are all waiting around for the same process, which is currently up to 15-18 months. Some have been lucky and can be all done within 10 months. But that is probably 1/5 cases. It really is down to the processing centre which your application falls to, that you provide all the correct documents needed at the NVC stage. There are the variables which you cannot entirely control, but patiently wait and make sure that you provide a strong case of bonafide relationship evidence and avoid any request for more evidence which can delay your case by months. 

Now that you know that there is no faster route, you asked which has a higher chance of success rate? That would arguably be the CR1. There have been many K1 denials across the board and some people argue and become quite defensive when this is discussed. I would suggest in doing your own research there. The UK is not seen as a high fraud country, but in just knowing that K1s are more prone to denials - it is up to you what you do with that statistic.

The CR1 visa was stronger during the pandemic because it was seen as a priority over K1s (which processing stopped entirely for about a year - so you can imagine the backlog) and also it allowed people to still visit their spouses during lockdowns. K1s eventually were allowed to visit the US if their petition had been 'approved'. 

Other strengths of the CR1 are it allows people to work immediately when arriving in the US. Plus they can travel in and out without having to wait for Adjustment of Status (K1). As a K1 visa holder you also have to wait for a work permit, which at the moment is taking up to 11 months. 

If you are not ready to get married then go through with the K1. It really is entirely down to you, with enough research about each visa which one is more suited to your needs. 

Good luck! 

Edited by whiterabbitt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don’t think K1 denials in London are something to worry about  or base a decision on. They are pretty easy on K1s and don’t put you through some grueling interview trying to catch you out. If you are a real couple, you have no worries. If you are a dodgy case and trying to commit immigration fraud they are pretty good at figuring it out whether fiancé or spouse.

The thing most beginners don’t know is a spouse becomes a greencard holder the minute they arrive in the US. They can work and get a driver license. A K1 is merely given a 90 day entry with no further immigration status. They have to apply for a greencard and work permit ($1225). You may be together, but you won’t be able to get a job or driver license or go visit back home for months. (whitrabbit says above currently it’s about 11 months). I’ve seen many, many K1s over the years who can’t deal with being stuck at home all day while the spouse is at work. They get really bored and homesick with no friends or family around and feel bad they aren’t contributing to the household expenses. So many sad stories of these couples not making it.  So I would ask myself if I could tolerate the total boredom and isolation that long. And do you have enough savings to contribute some or does you finance have enough money to pay for your essentials like a phone, health insurance, etc. it depends a lot on your age, how social you are with many mates or none, how much money you bring with you, if you are in a big city with easy bus or subway access or a small town with no public transport. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Both visas take a very long time, the process is anything but fast or quick.  CR-1 is the far superior way to go.  Visit each other as often as you can while waiting the 1-2 years that it will take.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Just now, whiterabbitt said:

Yes you are totally right about that. And great for explaining the rest that follows, thanks! 

I’ve read UK fiancé sad stories for over a decade. Some just can’t cope with the limitations. It’s worse if you are poor or have to live with the spouse’s parents.  For me a K1 was no problem because my wife didn’t work so we spent all day together doing things. And I was an old guy, decades past still hanging out with my school mates. I didn’t mind my wife paying for everything and she didn’t either. And my work permit wait was only about 50 days. It really depends on the individual situation and how one can cope with their specific situation. 

Another thing to consider is that a K1 holder can't freely travel internationally until they get their Advance Parole. So many cases on VisaJourney about K1 holders having emergencies in their home countries that require them to travel ASAP. Some people have to endure not travelling at all, while others travel but then can't return to the States because they didn't get Advance Parole in time.

While emergency Advance Parole exists, it can't be counted on, especially with all these coronavirus-related delays. A spousal visa holder has none of these problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.