katej0203

Renew green card or naturalise?

28 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Mauricokito said:

Im on the same boat but i did apply for naturalization with more than one year left on my 10 year green card. Can anyone please tell me how to go about getting the extension stamp? i doubt my N400 application is going to get done anytime soon and my GC is expiring in April so i need to do something. 

I just filed i90 online and got the receipt in my account immediately afterwards. It looks like that would work as an extension while I wait, but I will call infopass within 30 days anyway. The more options you have, the better, and British Airways staff in London may trust something in your passport a little more. Immigration on this end would know what the receipt it—or you would hope. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
On 1/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, katej0203 said:

I just filed i90 online and got the receipt in my account immediately afterwards. It looks like that would work as an extension while I wait, but I will call infopass within 30 days anyway. The more options you have, the better, and British Airways staff in London may trust something in your passport a little more. Immigration on this end would know what the receipt it—or you would hope. 

Yes. As far as I know, all GC extension receipt letters include an 18-month extension on your current card.

It is the best way to go.

K1

Spoiler

I-129F sent : 30 November 2015
I-129F NOA1 : 16 December 2015
I-129F NOA2 : 02 February 2016
Packet 3 received : 29 February 2016
Packet 3 sent : 28 April 2016
Interview date : 13 June 2016 (Result: Administrative Review, document needed)
Visa received : 11 July 2016

AOS

Spoiler

US entry : 09 September 2016
Marriage ceremony: 02 December 2016
AOS sent to Chicago lockbox: 16 January 2017
Case accepted confirmation by email/sms: 27 January 2017
NOA1 received: 03 February 2017
Biometrics appointment letter received: 06 February 2017

Biometrics passed: 08 February 2017 (walk-in)
EAD status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 01 May 2017
NOA for EAD and AP received: 04 May 2017

Combo Card in hand: 06 May 2017

I-485 status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 15 July 2017
NOA for Green Card received: 20 July 2017
Conditional Green Card in hand: 21 July 2017

Removing Conditions

Spoiler

Package sent: 20 June 2019
Package received: 25 June 2019
NOA1: 18-month extension: 28 June 2019

Biometrics passed: 02 August 2019
New Card Being Produced: 30 July 2020
10-year Green Card Mailed: 19 August 2020

Naturalization

Spoiler

N-400 sent : 01 October 2020 (online)
Interview: 26 October 2021
RFI sent to office: 14 December 2021
Oath Ceremony: 18 February 2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, Mauricokito said:

Im on the same boat but i did apply for naturalization with more than one year left on my 10 year green card. Can anyone please tell me how to go about getting the extension stamp? i doubt my N400 application is going to get done anytime soon and my GC is expiring in April so i need to do something. 

Same here. I filed my N-400 in October 2020 and up to now I’m still waiting for my interview date. My GC will expire also this April and I can’t afford to have an expired driver’s license. I guess I will need to renew my GC so I can also get an extension so I can still renew my driver’s license. 

Timeline
On 1/25/2022 at 9:42 AM, katej0203 said:

Hello Kate. Did they gave you an extension on your GC right away?

6 hours ago, uma_gurl said:

Hello Kate. Did they gave you an extension on your GC right away?

Yes, on the same day I filed the online application I received a receipt notice. This notice says it is valid for 12 months work and travel, when accompanying the expired card. If the card goes missing then it says I can get an ADIT stamp. 

Timeline
23 hours ago, katej0203 said:

Yes, on the same day I filed the online application I received a receipt notice. This notice says it is valid for 12 months work and travel, when accompanying the expired card. If the card goes missing then it says I can get an ADIT stamp. 

Thank you so much.

For anyone still following this topic… I received a notification today that my card is being produced and they don’t need biometrics again. So for anyone wondering about the i90, it seems to be very fast and in my case a week. 

Thanks all, I’ll file N400 within the next ten years and not run into this again 🤣

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 1/27/2022 at 5:01 AM, uma_gurl said:

Same here. I filed my N-400 in October 2020 and up to now I’m still waiting for my interview date. My GC will expire also this April and I can’t afford to have an expired driver’s license. I guess I will need to renew my GC so I can also get an extension so I can still renew my driver’s license. 

What's stopping you from renewing your Driver's License now? In most states (I have no clue where you are) it's only important for the GC to be unexpired. It's expiration date does not dictate the expiration date of your new DL. Also, most states you can renew your DL within the last 6 months of it's expiration date. 

Timeline
16 hours ago, Mike X Man said:

What's stopping you from renewing your Driver's License now? In most states (I have no clue where you are) it's only important for the GC to be unexpired. It's expiration date does not dictate the expiration date of your new DL. Also, most states you can renew your DL within the last 6 months of it's expiration date. 

Well my gc is expiring this April and so as my DL. My DL’s expiration date is the same at my gc because that’s how they based it. 

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 1/27/2022 at 3:01 AM, uma_gurl said:

Hello guys. I haven’t been here but I do have an update. I had my interview last April 11. It was easy and fast interview. But then after I signed all the papers the offices asked me if I have a passport picture? I said I don’t. I didn’t k know you needed it. So she said it’s okay. I’ll just give you these letter and the instructions are in there what you need to do. Then just mail it back to us. So I went to Walgreens and had my picture taken then I sent it right away the same day. 
I tracked it and they received it on the 18th of this month. But up to down they haven’t  updated my case yet. They gave me till May 16th to send them all they asking. I’mjust worried that they didn’t receive my pictures and may deny my approval. She gave me a paper saying that I passed all the tests but she can’t approve it yet because she needed that pictures. 
I was just wondering why she didn’t asked me to take a picture in the USCIS office? I saw they had a booth there for take your picture. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.