Erin333

Brand New to this Process - Help K1 vs K3

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  May 2021 I started online gaming with a group of people.  One guy and I had a great vibe going and on December 7th he came to visit to see if we had the same vibe in person.  He came from Ireland and has until March 6th until his 90 day visit is up.  We want to continue our journey together and are not sure if the K1 is the way to go once he leaves or if we should get married before he leaves and then work through the K3.  I also plan to visit Ireland once my passport arrives.  We dont want to be apart, but we also want to do this the correct and legal way.  Is it better to get married in the US or should we do it in Ireland?  Any help or advice to get us going in the right direction would be helpful.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

K-3 isn't issued.  The CR-1 is the superior visa.

-----

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to "What Visa" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

It will be easier for you both if you marry and apply for a CR1.

Marry wherever is easier/quicker.

Thank you, that was what we were thinking.

1 minute ago, TBoneTX said:

K-3 isn't issued.  The CR-1 is the superior visa.

-----

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to "What Visa" forum.

Thank you for helping me to the right place.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Do your reading in these forums so that you know which visa is which, and the processes.  There are a great many threads on this very topic. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Do your reading in these forums so that you know which visa is which, and the processes.  There are a great many threads on this very topic. :) 

Yes, I have been just starting out reading them.  A friend of mine brought out her husband from Jamaica and she recommended this site.  Thank you so very much, it is all confusing to me at the start, but I will do all my research :) 

In my opinion, the CR-1 is much better than the K-1 visa, because he will then become a legal permanent resident upon entry with the visa. With a K-1, he would have to go through Adjustment of Status and apply for work and travel authorization. That basically means he would be sitting at home for 6-8+ months without being able to work or travel. I'll let @Crazy Cat share his helpful list of pros and cons of both visas.

As he is in the US now, you also have a third option, although it's not ideal. You could get married and apply for Adjustment of Status. Then he would have to stay in the country until he receives Advanced Parole (again, this can take 6-8+ months).

Timeline
1 minute ago, Marieke H said:

In my opinion, the CR-1 is much better than the K-1 visa, because he will then become a legal permanent resident upon entry with the visa. With a K-1, he would have to go through Adjustment of Status and apply for work and travel authorization. That basically means he would be sitting at home for 6-8+ months without being able to work or travel. I'll let @Crazy Cat share his helpful list of pros and cons of both visas.

As he is in the US now, you also have a third option, although it's not ideal. You could get married and apply for Adjustment of Status. Then he would have to stay in the country until he receives Advanced Parole (again, this can take 6-8+ months).

He would have to stay in America for the 6 to 8 months?  And that would mean no work or anything right?

1 minute ago, Erin333 said:

He would have to stay in America for the 6 to 8 months?  And that would mean no work or anything right?

Correct. Which is why it usually is not the best option for someone who just came to visit and probably has a lot of loose ends to tie up back home. But it is a legal option for people who came to visit and then plans changed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

This is very helpful information thank you.  So for the CR-1, it would be married in either the US or Ireland and then file and he would still go back to Ireland until approval correct?  Also, is there a general timeline to the CR-1 approval?  I know that everything varies and with COVID I am sure things are slower, but thinking of general terms.

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

Correct. Which is why it usually is not the best option for someone who just came to visit and probably has a lot of loose ends to tie up back home. But it is a legal option for people who came to visit and then plans changed.

So about the adjustment of status, if there were no loose ends and he had financial means that would help anyway during that time all we would need to do is get married and then file?

4 hours ago, Erin333 said:

So about the adjustment of status, if there were no loose ends and he had financial means that would help anyway during that time all we would need to do is get married and then file?

Yes, you can marry and file for Adjustment of Status now if he's okay with not being able to work or go home for 8+ months.

If he leaves before that, your only options are the K-1 or CR-1 visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Erin333 said:

Correct.  If this path is taken, read the attached guide for the required forms to submit.  The I131 and I765 are listed as optional, but if he does want to travel internationally (and return to the US) or work, these should be included as they do not incur any additional cost.  Additionally, if you were to get married and apply to adjust status and a job offer comes about, he could request an expedite to the I765 to get work authorization sooner than 8+ months.

If AOS is not the path, then you have a couple of options, you can get married (anywhere), he leaves and submit the I130 for an eventual CR1 visa, or not get married, file the I129F for an eventual K1 visa to get married later inside the US.  As others have mentioned, the CR1 is generally recommended, and processing times for the I129F has slowed quite a bit, so there is less of an advantage there.  You mentioned Ireland, so I assume he is here on an ESTA, if so he can still use that to visit while either path is processing as long as he does not abuse it. 

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Correct.  If this path is taken, read the attached guide for the required forms to submit.  The I131 and I765 are listed as optional, but if he does want to travel internationally (and return to the US) or work, these should be included as they do not incur any additional cost.  Additionally, if you were to get married and apply to adjust status and a job offer comes about, he could request an expedite to the I765 to get work authorization sooner than 8+ months.

If AOS is not the path, then you have a couple of options, you can get married (anywhere), he leaves and submit the I130 for an eventual CR1 visa, or not get married, file the I129F for an eventual K1 visa to get married later inside the US.  As others have mentioned, the CR1 is generally recommended, and processing times for the I129F has slowed quite a bit, so there is less of an advantage there.  You mentioned Ireland, so I assume he is here on an ESTA, if so he can still use that to visit while either path is processing as long as he does not abuse it. 

Good Luck!

Thank you for the information, a lot to read through and decide on the best path for us.  I appreciate all your help

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.