Nick G

Changing address/job after filing I130

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out the best approach to my I130 application for my wife. I currently live in the US and am employed and my wife is Egyptian and resides in Cairo. We have not filed our I130 yet.

The other day, the thought occurred to me that there isn't really a reason for us to remain apart while the application is pending, and that I could just sell my house and quit my job and live in Cairo with her until her CR-1 is approved, and then we can come back to the US together and figure things out from there. I'd like the opportunity to live there and make learning Arabic my full-time job, spend more time with her family, and obviously we'd rather be together than apart. She has her own place and a good job, and we got married in Egypt, so moving there should be pretty seamless.

But, it will take me a few months to wrap up my work, quit my job, and sell my house. I'd like to file the petition right now. However, that means that my home address and employment information will change once the petition is pending. Also, this means that when it comes time to do the I-864, I may not have an actual income (I might be able to pick up some remote or freelance work but that's not a guarantee). I can show sufficient income for 2019, 20, and 21, and I'll have the money in the bank from the sale of my house to use when we return.

Two main questions:

When I move to Egypt, will I have to update my address and employment information on my I130? Would it be better to just wait to file until I move?

Am I going to need a joint sponsor for the I-864? Or will my income history and proof of liquid assets be sufficient? 

And if there are any other issues I'm not thinking about, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure out the best approach to my I130 application for my wife. I currently live in the US and am employed and my wife is Egyptian and resides in Cairo. We have not filed our I130 yet.

The other day, the thought occurred to me that there isn't really a reason for us to remain apart while the application is pending, and that I could just sell my house and quit my job and live in Cairo with her until her CR-1 is approved, and then we can come back to the US together and figure things out from there. I'd like the opportunity to live there and make learning Arabic my full-time job, spend more time with her family, and obviously we'd rather be together than apart. She has her own place and a good job, and we got married in Egypt, so moving there should be pretty seamless.

But, it will take me a few months to wrap up my work, quit my job, and sell my house. I'd like to file the petition right now. However, that means that my home address and employment information will change once the petition is pending. Also, this means that when it comes time to do the I-864, I may not have an actual income (I might be able to pick up some remote or freelance work but that's not a guarantee). I can show sufficient income for 2019, 20, and 21, and I'll have the money in the bank from the sale of my house to use when we return.

Two main questions:

When I move to Egypt, will I have to update my address and employment information on my I130? Would it be better to just wait to file until I move?

Am I going to need a joint sponsor for the I-864? Or will my income history and proof of liquid assets be sufficient? 

And if there are any other issues I'm not thinking about, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

File the I130 asap. Use a relatives address as your mailing address. Put your current address as residential address at time of filing. Once your I130 is approved and sent to the NVC you will need a joint sponsor as non US based income is not acceptable   You will also be required to demonstrate that your time overseas is temporary snd that you are returning to establish

domicile in the US. How this is handled and what is required is country consulate specific. Research the I864 form then perhaps ask the question regarding establishing domicile in the appropriate regional subforum 

I looked up the asset requirements for the I-864 and it looks like for spouses, you can show assets in excess of 125% of the poverty line x 3. Do you know what assets qualify? I might be able to get there purely with liquid assets if I can get a good price on the house, but I will definitely be over that if I can count my IRA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you need to check the requirements to live in Egypt before u make the decision to quit a job and move there

https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php/Egypt_-_Apply_for_Ordinary_Resident_Permit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nick G said:

I looked up the asset requirements for the I-864 and it looks like for spouses, you can show assets in excess of 125% of the poverty line x 3. Do you know what assets qualify? I might be able to get there purely with liquid assets if I can get a good price on the house, but I will definitely be over that if I can count my IRA.

Normally, any asset that can be liquidated within a year and will not cause additional financial burden. 

Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the
owner may be included. The owner of the asset must include a description of the asset, proof of ownership, and the basis
for the owner’s claim of its net cash value.

Also, the 3x 125% is the minimum requirement to qualify.  The decision is ultimately up to the CO at the interview.  There have been others who had enough assets but were required to get a joint sponsor.

Timeline
Just now, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Normally, any asset that can be liquidated within a year and will not cause additional financial burden. 

Also, the 3x 125% is the minimum requirement to qualify.  The decision is ultimately up to the CO at the interview.  There have been others who had enough assets but were required to get a joint sponsor.

If you don't have anyone that agrees to be a joint sponsor, there is another option.  File the I-130 and move to Egypt to live with your spouse.  When the I-130 is approved and is at NVC waiting for the affidavit of support and IV completion, get a job lined up and move back to the US to establish residency.  If needed, you can delay the process as long as you need at the NVC stage, as long as you contact NVC once a year to keep your petition active.

This will mean you will be separated from your wife again, but it would only be for about 4-6 months instead of 1-2 years.

1 minute ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

If you don't have anyone that agrees to be a joint sponsor, there is another option.  File the I-130 and move to Egypt to live with your spouse.  When the I-130 is approved and is at NVC waiting for the affidavit of support and IV completion, get a job lined up and move back to the US to establish residency.  If needed, you can delay the process as long as you need at the NVC stage, as long as you contact NVC once a year to keep your petition active.

This will mean you will be separated from your wife again, but it would only be for about 4-6 months instead of 1-2 years.

Oh I'm glad you mentioned that was an option. I'm not worried about getting the assets or showing the CO that we're employable, but it's good to know we have the flexibility to delay things if I need to come up with a job or some other assets of support.

Do you know what is meant by "not cause additional financial burden" for liquidating assets? Obviously it sucks withdrawing from an IRA and taking the tax penalty, but I suspect they mean something more significant than that.

Timeline
Just now, Nick G said:

Do you know what is meant by "not cause additional financial burden" for liquidating assets? Obviously it sucks withdrawing from an IRA and taking the tax penalty, but I suspect they mean something more significant than that.

It's all based on judgement.  I assume an example would be withdrawing a tax-deferred account for X amount, but owing Y amount in tax penalties, where Y is equal to or greater than X.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.