Happy43

CR1 Evidence Skype and Facebook question - South Africa

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So I am a US  Citizen and my husband lives in South Africa. We got married in South Africa and are planning to file the CR1 soon. I had a  Question.

I know people have different takes in regards to what to send and not to send.

Skype- in skype when we video call at times we take pictures of our interactions. It does show the date and time and duration of the call. My question is does duration matter when screenshotting the picture. Or the picture with timestamp is fine.

Facebook- I am in the process of screenshotting old posts that we tag each other own. But I do realize that since my husband did change his last name to mines on Facebook. When you screenshot the old post-it shows the current name. 

Facebook has a way of changing even old post names. So it looks like he had my name in 2019 when he didn't. So would this be an issue? or can I just explain in a disclaimer FYI Facebook changes the name to even an old post?

Any experiences and stories will be helpful.

2 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Focus on more “substantial” evidence! Time spent together is key, so boarding passes, passport stamps, etc etc

Thank you OP for posting and Rocio for replying - my partner and I have also been wondering this about evidence as we primarily use FB messenger and wondered how we would prove using that. 

I'm due to visit again soon so any other evidence I should be keeping (alongside boarding passes), please share. 

1 minute ago, Snowie1 said:

Thank you OP for posting and Rocio for replying - my partner and I have also been wondering this about evidence as we primarily use FB messenger and wondered how we would prove using that. 

I'm due to visit again soon so any other evidence I should be keeping (alongside boarding passes), please share. 

What country do you Both live in  ?  and how many visits have you had so far?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Snowie1 said:

Hi! I realized my answer was sort of a knee-jerk answer because I wasn't yet on enough caffeine lol. Now I got my coffee so I feel more awake haha. 

I am not saying not to post social media stuff. What I am saying is, you want to add more substantial evidence to that. And by substantial evidence I mean "time spent together". Boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel reservations, anything that shows that both of you travelled to see each other. USCIS likes to see financial comingling, but given that either you or your spouse are living abroadand do not have a SSN yet, that can be tricky to get. So focus on what you can get -and like I said, time spent together. Pictures can also be useful, especially pictures where the couple is with other people. 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 minute ago, Rocio0010 said:

Hi! I realized my answer was sort of a knee-jerk answer because I wasn't yet on enough caffeine lol. Now I got my coffee so I feel more awake haha. 

I am not saying not to post social media stuff. What I am saying is, you want to add more substantial evidence to that. And by substantial evidence I mean "time spent together". Boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel reservations, anything that shows that both of you travelled to see each other. USCIS likes to see financial comingling, but given that either you or your spouse are living abroadand do not have a SSN yet, that can be tricky to get. So focus on what you can get -and like I said, time spent together. Pictures can also be useful, especially pictures where the couple is with other people. 

True

I added my spouse to my Life insurance, 401K, bank has him listed as a spouse and also a user on my credit card. 

you think it's early if he's not coming to the US Like in 10 months I  was able to add him to my power Utility bill

Timeline
Just now, Happy43 said:

True

I added my spouse to my Life insurance, 401K, bank has him listed as a spouse and also a user on my credit card. 

you think it's early if he's not coming to the US Like in 10 months I  was able to add him to my power Utility bill

Does he have a SSN? How were you able to add him?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Just now, Rocio0010 said:

Does he have a SSN? How were you able to add him?

You don't need an SSN to add someone to life insurance or  401K Beneficiary or Credit card.

in my bank, he cant get a debit card or anything but he's added a spouse and can call to inquire about my accounts.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Happy43 said:

You don't need an SSN to add someone to life insurance or  401K Beneficiary or Credit card.

in my bank, he cant get a debit card or anything but he's added a spouse and can call to inquire about my accounts.

That’s cool! Not many couples can do that. You have some good evidence!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
Just now, Happy43 said:

Thank you 

what stage are you ?

Oh, I never had a CR1. I adjusted my status through an F1 and now I’m about ready to get my conditions removed!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Happy43 said:

Skype- in skype when we video call at times we take pictures of our interactions. It does show the date and time and duration of the call. My question is does duration matter when screenshotting the picture. Or the picture with timestamp is fine.

Facebook- I am in the process of screenshotting old posts that we tag each other own. But I do realize that since my husband did change his last name to mines on Facebook. When you screenshot the old post-it shows the current name. 

The best evidence is to document time spent together, in person (original boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts, a few photos), and some financial co-mingling (tax return transcript married filing jointly, beneficiary on accounts, authorized user of your credit card, etc.).  Virtual contact stuff is not as important but can still be sent.  I sent a summary record of all emails sent/received, log of phone and video calls, showing continuous interaction, Facebook friend history, and a sampling of Messenger and WhatsApp messages sent/received, to supplement lots of in-person visit evidence (4) and financial co-mingling documents similar to yours.  Sounds like you are in good shape, good luck with the process!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, Happy43 said:

So I am a US  Citizen and my husband lives in South Africa. We got married in South Africa and are planning to file the CR1 soon. I had a  Question.

I know people have different takes in regards to what to send and not to send.

Facebook has a way of changing even old post names. So it looks like he had my name in 2019 when he didn't. So would this be an issue? or can I just explain in a disclaimer FYI Facebook changes the name to even an old post?

Any experiences and stories will be helpful.

The FB issue could raise questions.  I would skip the tagging evidence.  It is weak, at best.  A few example screen shots of how and how frequently you communicate can be helpful, but the strongest evidence is evidence of time spent together.  Passport stamps and boarding passes are primary evidence.  Photos together are good but secondary evidence.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.