JTRW

K-1 Visa Interview Supporting Documents Returned?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance' is gathering the supporting documents in preparation for his interview. He needs me to send my original divorce decree from my former marriage (20 years ago). Will the Embassy (London) return the original documents after the interview process is over? Thanks for any guidance. 

Edited by JTRW

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
13 minutes ago, JTRW said:

Will the Embassy (London) return the original documents after the interview process is over?

Yes. Have your fiance bring a copy as well along with the original.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
14 hours ago, JTRW said:

My fiance' is gathering the supporting documents in preparation for his interview. He needs me to send my original divorce decree from my former marriage (20 years ago). Will the Embassy (London) return the original documents after the interview process is over? Thanks for any guidance. 

The interview is all about him. The documents are his documents, ie his divorce decree, his birth certificate, etc. All you (petitioner) need to provide for a London interview is:

• an Affidavit of Support 
  • a new letter of intent (if your petition approval was more than 4 months before the interview and has expired). 

London interviewees are handed back all their original civil documents when the interview is concluded. 

Update your timeline if he already has an interview date.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline

Thank you. I appreciate the input. His letter actually says to bring divorce decrees for both parties if they have prior marriages, not just for him. It specifies both. Quote: "If you or your petitioner have previously been married, please bring the original (or certified copy) of the divorce certificate (or death certificate of the spouse) for any previous marriage."

He does not have an interview date yet. He has to have his medical exam completed before he can make the appointment, per the letter he received.

I'll be sure to update things as they change. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, JTRW said:

Thank you. I appreciate the input. His letter actually says to bring divorce decrees for both parties if they have prior marriages, not just for him. It specifies both. Quote: "If you or your petitioner have previously been married, please bring the original (or certified copy) of the divorce certificate (or death certificate of the spouse) for any previous marriage."

He does not have an interview date yet. He has to have his medical exam completed before he can make the appointment, per the letter he received.

The embassy has had his case since November? You could have proceeded once it arrived in London.  You don’t really have to have your medical completed before you pick an interview date. But you do need to get your documents like police certificate, Personal Care Record and immunization record from his GP in hand before the medical. Also get the shots needed for AOS before attending the medical. You’ll be sorry later if he doesn’t get signed off on shots at the medical exam, even though he can get a visa without them. 

If the medical is scheduled, start looking for interview dates about 10 days after that date. A week would probably suffice but the medical clinic seems to have slowed down since the holidays.. Interviews have been somewhat scarce for awhile and you may need to keep checking every day. I do think the embassy is catching up with their backlog.  

There’s a UK forum on Visa Journey that could be useful to you for London specific questions. Each embassy is different in how things get done and how strict they are. 
https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline

Thanks for the tips. The letter was misaddressed and took about six weeks to arrive. He only just got it. On the plus side, we got to spend the holidays together after 21 months apart.  He has updated his address with the Embassy so that should happen again. 

His letter very clearly says to make the appointment for the interview only after he has attended the medical appointment.

The embassy website also clearly indicates that there is a backlog of cases and that there could be quite a delay between the medical and the interview date. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
17 hours ago, JTRW said:

We had different (Mexico) embassy but their letter also asked for birth certificate and divorce decree (both documents needed to be certified originals plus translations if not in Spanish/English) for both the US Citizen and the beneficiary. And they did look for them during the pre-check appointment. Follow the letter. Everything we brought and dropped off for the interview were returned to us yes, for our case for our embassy.

Edited by Mexis2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.