Hamy

Destination Marriage and IR1

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey guys need advice on my immigration case scenario. Visa category IR1

I'm Pakistani citizen while my spouse is US citizen we got destination marriage in Thailand. Our I-130 petition has been approved and got DQ since June 2021 from NVC now waiting for interview in Islamabad Embassy. This embassy is extremely backlogged and typically putting ppl in AP. We have marriage certificates from Thailand which are attested from ministry of foreign affairs Thailand and embassy of Pakistan in Thailand in both Thai and English Language while I'm member of some immigration groups on FB all members who are from Pak are submitting their certificates from Pakistan Nadra office I contact to this office and they said I can only change my marital status in their record (which I already did ) while they can't issue marriage certificate since my marriage was performed in other country not in Pak. On the other hand my spouse my spouse register our marriage in Attorney General office in USA and changed her last name on her official docs by my name. So it is clear that US govt accepts marriage docs from THAILAND. Here my confusions are :

1. Is it possible that embassy will not accept these marriage docs or require certificate from home country?  While USCIS and NVC already approved and accepted my docs? 

2. My spouse didn't visit to PAK while I visited to my spouse in USA on B2 visa. It could be problem and question from CO that why my spouse didn't visit to me? 

Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated. 

Edited by Hamy

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Consulate requires the marriage certificate from the government entity where you married.  If you married in Thailand, you are married everywhere.  No need to get it recognized or documented in any other way as part of the US Immigration process for a spouse.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
29 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Consulate requires the marriage certificate from the government entity where you married.  If you married in Thailand, you are married everywhere.  No need to get it recognized or documented in any other way as part of the US Immigration process for a spouse.

Thanks. Actaully these requirments are making me confuse which are consulate's website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

image.thumb.png.522f2b5448f14c185625726739054291.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Hamy said:

Thanks. Actaully these requirments are making me confuse which are consulate's website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

image.thumb.png.522f2b5448f14c185625726739054291.png

This is all in the context of marriages that were officiated in Pakistan.  You need the instructions that apply to your circumstances.  YOUR "context".  You're not going to have ANY of that, because you did not marry in Pakistan.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
6 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

This is all in the context of marriages that were officiated in Pakistan.  You need the instructions that apply to your circumstances.  YOUR "context".  You're not going to have ANY of that, because you did not marry in Pakistan.

Thank u so much for clarification.

As @pushbrk mentioned, you would not need Pakistani marriage documents since you did not get married in Pakistan.    

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Filed: Timeline

You do need to make sure that your marriage certificate meets the requirements for marriages performed in Thailand, though.  To confirm you have tbe right document, check the requirements here:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Thailand.html .

Timeline
1 hour ago, jan22 said:

You do need to make sure that your marriage certificate meets the requirements for marriages performed in Thailand, though.  To confirm you have tbe right document, check the requirements here:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Thailand.html .

Yes i have right docs from Thai govt. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.