Sarge2155

January 2022 - AOS Filers

119 posts in this topic

Hello January 2022 AOS filers and Happy New Year!!!! Another New Year another month/round of AOS submissions, first month of the year in fact. Please be aware that this checklist is NOT all inclusive and you must consult the USCIS website to crosscheck this checklist against/with. The AOS process has been confusing since the pandemic hit, not to mention the added politics. So please I want to stress that you only use this check sheet as a starting point and guide if you will. The USCIS site will be the final guide. Please ensure that you check your forms for the correct versions and editions because if you use the wrong forms USCIS will reject your application and send it back to you. This is easily checked on the USCIS website prior to downloading your forms. You should also ONLY download your forms from the USCIS website.  The current and correct fees can also be ascertained from the USCIS website   

AOS Checklist

• Cover Letter listing Table of Contents
  • (Check Payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security - $1,225.00) 

Form I-485 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Form G-1145  
  • Copy of beneficiary's Passport with biographical page 
  • Copy of beneficiary's K1 Visa from Passport and entry stamp 
  • Copy of NOA2 Approval letter (from K1 process) 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of beneficiary's Birth Certificate 
  • translation of birth certificate (if needed)
  • Certified copy of Marriage License or Certificate
  • Passport Photos (2) name written on the back 
  • Copy of DS-3025   

Form I-864 (completed and signed by USC) (goes with form I-485)

• Proof of USC's citizenship (copy of birth certificate, copy of passport bio page, or other)
  • 2021/2020 (current tax year, depending on when you file your AOS in 2022), 2019 (optional), and 2018 (optional) Tax Return (with W-2) or Transcripts (transcripts are better if you can get them)
  • Employment Verification letter (updated one - not the one used during K1 process) 
  • Pay stubs (last 3 months)   

Form I-765 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Copy of beneficiary's K1 Visa from Passport and entry stamp 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of NOA2 (from K1 process)
  • Be sure to use the correct filing code of (c)(9) if this code applies to you. The I-765 instructions explains all the codes in detail. If you are filing under a different code (other than (c)(9) the fee for your AOS will not be correct and USCIS will reject your entire packet.

Form I-131 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Copy of beneficiary's Passport with biographical page 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of NOA2 (from K1 process    

Be sure to double check for the current fees as fees do sometimes increase and they can change on a dime so please check. Additionally, check the forms as listed above i.e., current version and or edition date, there have been many changes to various forms. Consider sending tax transcripts instead of the 1040, and W2's. Also consider preparing a cover letter for each form in addition to the main cover letter. 

Make sure you send long form birth certificates and not the short form.  Hope this helps in your preparation of your AOS. When in doubt ask questions.

Please consider filing the I-131 and the I-765 even if you don't think you'll need them right now. You never know what changes your life will have on down the road, so I recommend you file these two forms from the start. There is no extra charge to file them with your AOS and it's better to submit them all at once.  There has been much confusion coming out of USCIS, partly due to Covid-19 and partly self-inflicted. This confusion filters on down to the people filing for AOS. The above listing is subject to change at a moment’s notice so please check, recheck and check again BEFORE you send off your packet for any last-minute changes.

Congratulations on a successful submission of your AOS packet!

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thank you, @Sarge2155. This is a wonderful guide. There are a couple of suggestions that I would like to add to sort of piggy back to what you’re posting.

1) Make a cover letter and a table of contents. This will not only help the IO that is working on your case, but it will also help you as you put your package together.

2) Do several drafts of the forms, and make sure you do revise the final version before you submit. 
3) Use tab dividers to label everything.

4) Make a copy of the package and keep it for your records before you mail it. USCIS is known for losing documents, and if you make copies, you can easily track documents if you get a RFE.

5) Remember: this is another step for immigration. Two years after your approval, you will file for removal of conditions, and you’ll need to prove (again) the bona fides of your relationship. So as soon as you mail the AOS package, start collecting evidence for ROC. As soon as my AOS got approved, I went to the store and got me a big envelope. I labeled it “ROC evidence” and I’ve been collecting evidence ever since: trip reservations, joint bank statements, joint bills, joint deed, etc. In that way, if you’re diligent about collecting your evidence, it gets so much easier.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

• 2 weeks later...

No January 2022 filers as of yet perhaps everyone is still getting their packets together!

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
Just now, Sarge2155 said:

No January 2022 filers as of yet perhaps everyone is still getting their packets together!

Same as my February 2022 ROC filers!

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 12/31/2021 at 2:55 AM, Sarge2155 said:

Hello January 2022 AOS filers and Happy New Year!!!! Another New Year another month/round of AOS submissions, first month of the year in fact. Please be aware that this checklist is NOT all inclusive and you must consult the USCIS website to crosscheck this checklist against/with. The AOS process has been confusing since the pandemic hit, not to mention the added politics. So please I want to stress that you only use this check sheet as a starting point and guide if you will. The USCIS site will be the final guide. Please ensure that you check your forms for the correct versions and editions because if you use the wrong forms USCIS will reject your application and send it back to you. This is easily checked on the USCIS website prior to downloading your forms. You should also ONLY download your forms from the USCIS website.  The current and correct fees can also be ascertained from the USCIS website   

AOS Checklist

• Cover Letter listing Table of Contents
  • (Check Payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security - $1,225.00) 

Form I-485 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Form G-1145  
  • Copy of beneficiary's K1 Visa from Passport and entry stamp 
  • Copy of NOA2 Approval letter (from K1 process) 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of beneficiary's Birth Certificate 
  • translation of birth certificate (if needed)
  • Certified copy of Marriage License or Certificate
  • Copy of DS-3025   

Form I-864 (completed and signed by USC) (goes with form I-485)

• Proof of USC's citizenship (copy of birth certificate, copy of passport bio page, or other)
  • 2021/2020 (current tax year, depending on when you file your AOS in 2022), 2019 (optional), and 2018 (optional) Tax Return (with W-2) or Transcripts (transcripts are better if you can get them)
  • Employment Verification letter (updated one - not the one used during K1 process) 
  • Pay stubs (last 3 months)   

Form I-765 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• I-94 
  • Copy of NOA2 (from K1 process)
  • Be sure to use the correct filing code of (c)(9) if this code applies to you. The I-765 instructions explains all the codes in detail. If you are filing under a different code (other than (c)(9) the fee for your AOS will not be correct and USCIS will reject your entire packet.

Form I-131 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Copy of beneficiary's Passport with biographical page 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of NOA2 (from K1 process    

Be sure to double check for the current fees as fees do sometimes increase and they can change on a dime so please check. Additionally, check the forms as listed above i.e., current version and or edition date, there have been many changes to various forms. Consider sending tax transcripts instead of the 1040, and W2's. Also consider preparing a cover letter for each form in addition to the main cover letter. 

Make sure you send long form birth certificates and not the short form.  Hope this helps in your preparation of your AOS. When in doubt ask questions.

Please consider filing the I-131 and the I-765 even if you don't think you'll need them right now. You never know what changes your life will have on down the road, so I recommend you file these two forms from the start. There is no extra charge to file them with your AOS and it's better to submit them all at once.  There has been much confusion coming out of USCIS, partly due to Covid-19 and partly self-inflicted. This confusion filters on down to the people filing for AOS. The above listing is subject to change at a moment’s notice so please check, recheck and check again BEFORE you send off your packet for any last-minute changes.

Congratulations on a successful submission of your AOS packet!

is "Copy of DS-3025 " required if we are applying for AoS within 1 yr from the medical tests for K1 visa.

4 hours ago, vagabond1001110 said:

is "Copy of DS-3025 " required if we are applying for AoS within 1 yr from the medical tests for K1 visa.

Yes, better to include it because it list your vaccines etc. If you do not send it in USCIS will send you a reminder letter to bring your I-693 to your interview. The DS-3025 shows that you had your medical. If you apply for your AOS within the 1 year time-frame then yes send in your DS-3025.

Edited by Sarge2155

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
19 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

Yes, better to include it because it list your vaccines etc. If you do not send it in USCIS will send you a reminder letter to bring your I-693 to your interview. The DS-3025 shows that you had your medical. If you apply for your AOS within the 1 year time-frame then yes send in your DS-3025.

Thanks , will do.

Timeline

Hello everyone! 

So now I am just worried that my notices are still being sent to the old address. Calling USCIS did not help much. I will try again tomorrow. Thank God I have USPS forwarding, but I have read that sometimes USPS does not forward USCIS notices! So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to include a copy of the AR-11 with my i-751 submission, with an explanation.

On the other hand, I've been reading here in VJ that for some reason, the i-751 reminders are sent to the address where they sent the GC, but when people filed for i-751, they got their notices at the updated address. So most likely I'm worrying for no reason. What would you do?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

4 hours ago, vagabond1001110 said:

If concurrent filing 131 and 765 with 485 , does the 765 eligibility category need to be (C)(9) or (C)(9)(P). 

(C)(9)  you are adjusting from a K1 right?

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
5 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

(C)(9)  you are adjusting from a K1 right?

Yes , we are adjusting from a K1. The reason I asked was USCIS site does mentioned both codes as seen in the attached. I assume the combo card is given anyway by default for EAD and AP

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/filing-form-i-765-with-other-forms

image.png.3ce3a260f79bd0c3afe0911e20ed22aa.png

Edited by vagabond1001110

Timeline
2 minutes ago, vagabond1001110 said:

Yes , we are adjusting from a K1. The reason I asked was USCIS site does mentioned both codes as seen in the attached. I assume the combo card is given anyway by default for EAD and AP

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/filing-form-i-765-with-other-forms

image.png.3ce3a260f79bd0c3afe0911e20ed22aa.png

Either would work I think. But no, it’s not by default. You need to apply for it with forms I-131 and I-765

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

@vagabond1001110

The codes dictate the fee you pay also. I used (C)(9). I don't  know  anything about that other code. People have gotten an RFE or the packet kicked back stating incorrect filing fee for use of the wrong code. Go with the tried and true (C)(9). If you submitted the 131 and the 765 with the 485 they will issue a combo card or a GC straight out!

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
On 1/18/2022 at 8:30 AM, Sarge2155 said:

@vagabond1001110

The codes dictate the fee you pay also. I used (C)(9). I don't  know  anything about that other code. People have gotten an RFE or the packet kicked back stating incorrect filing fee for use of the wrong code. Go with the tried and true (C)(9). If you submitted the 131 and the 765 with the 485 they will issue a combo card or a GC straight out!

Will do ! Thanks

Hello, thank you for creating the thread! 

Adjustment of status from K1

Sent to Arizona Lockbox

Forms: I-485, I-131, I-765

Sent via Fedex: 01/10/2022

CC charged: 01/13/2022

x3 texts forms received: 01/14/2022

Now waiting for I-797s in the mail. 

Fingers crossed for quick progress! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.