Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,996 posts in this topic

The only problem with looking at other people's timelines and comparing them to yours is it doesn't tell much about how long your case will take. It appears that cases submitted in late September/early October 2022 will be reviewed/decided soon, but this is not necessarily true. The case may take a year and three years or more, with very little indication of how your case will take since DOS does not disclose anything about its process. You may think your case is next, only to find yourself in 2025 still waiting. To get some answers, many cases should be subjected to statistical analysis; then, we can see some tendencies. There was an attempt to do so, but it faced a lot of negativity, and honestly, with the federal government, you never know what they will choose to call a crime so maybe it is not a best topic to investigate. 

8 hours ago, Magnet said:

Impressive, one of the rare 52 weeks at DOS, sometimes I wonder if certain backgrounds or job classes complicate DOS processing more than others or not.

I was reading DOS email reply to my 20 months old case that says it's first in first out. 

Of course it's not that how it works. 

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline
11 hours ago, DrFood said:

Maybe they expedited. Never seen cases approved this fast.

Or maybe they have connections with someone who knows no one tells us the truth. Certainly not fair to you guys who have been waiting since 2022. 

Hi Everyone,

I have read through every post since page 40 and have a few questions.

Me and my US citizen spouse originally filed a NOS and got denied, even with the NOS provided, the funding led to the denial (Gov funding from the ECA... J-1 Visa as a government visitor; short term scholar).

Someone mentioned in the comments that when a NOS gets denied and sponsor views were requested, do they not ask for sponsor views for a hardship waiver when it's filed after? Is this true?

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline
4 minutes ago, nmanc33 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have read through every post since page 40 and have a few questions.

Me and my US citizen spouse originally filed a NOS and got denied, even with the NOS provided, the funding led to the denial (Gov funding from the ECA... J-1 Visa as a government visitor; short term scholar).

Someone mentioned in the comments that when a NOS gets denied and sponsor views were requested, do they not ask for sponsor views for a hardship waiver when it's filed after? Is this true?

Hi it is true, so hopefully it goes all smooth! Good luck! 

1 hour ago, Sabina Bart said:

Hi it is true, so hopefully it goes all smooth! Good luck! 

Thanks for your response, Sabina! Do you know if it's because they already have it on file or they just don't care about it now when it comes to hardship?

The NOS denial was detrimental to our family so I'm trying to figure out if they automatically deny the hardship too based off the same sponsor views or they will actually look at the case for hardship..

9 hours ago, Sabina Bart said:

Or maybe they have connections with someone who knows no one tells us the truth. Certainly not fair to you guys who have been waiting since 2022. 

I doubt that having any connections will influence this process whatsoever. If they had connections their case would not have taken a year. No one knows how the DOS Waiver Review Division operates, it's like a blackbox.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.