Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,976 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, lennikov said:

More like 18 as Form i-612/612 was received only on December 29, 2021, so effectively, it took all of 2022 + 8 months of 2023 with the decision in August. Yes, waiver takes about the same time as 2YHR itself, in some cases longer than 24 months. Unless you can get an O-1, it is impossible to play the waiver game as after you have submitted the waiver, you normally can't renew your J-1, and it takes 12 months of USCIS + 24 months of DOS + another 2-3 months after the positive decision is returned to USCIS. Totalling over 3 years the J-1 is typically issued for 1-2 years, always exceeding the lengths of legal presence J-1 can afford. 

I used to think so too, but you’re eligible for DS2019 extension as long as your waiver is still pending.

I used to think so too, but you’re eligible for DS2019 extension as long as your waiver is still pending.

It's true; I got a few month's extension on my J-1, which helped me finish the O-1 application. I had about 3 months before the 5-year cap. But even with this consideration, you need to obtain strong grounds for the waiver and start an application within the first 24 months of your J-1. It is much easier for the countries that provide no-objection waivers, but you must avoid governmental funding. I still have not figured out if paying postdoc salary from the R01\R21 grants is considered governmental funding, as they are not awarded to the fellow but to the PI, and it is a PI's choice who to hire for that money. 

6 hours ago, J1 Physician said:

I emailed DOS requesting expedited processing. I haven’t gotten any reply in 3 weeks ? Is this common

I don't think its common. typically DoS replies with a day or two either denying it or accepting or asking for more evidence.

Send them a followup email breifly explaining that its an urgent matter. 

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have a positive feeling that a lot of people will get decisions on pending J-1 hardship waivers this month since the 2023 fiscal years closes on 9/30/2023. 
Fingers crossed. 

On 9/3/2023 at 3:10 PM, Mickey344 said:

I have a positive feeling that a lot of people will get decisions on pending J-1 hardship waivers this month since the 2023 fiscal years closes on 9/30/2023. 
Fingers crossed. 

Last year we had same feelings, but nothing happened. Sleep mode.

On 9/3/2023 at 11:15 PM, Hardship_waiver said:

I don't think its common. typically DoS replies with a day or two either denying it or accepting or asking for more evidence.

Send them a followup email breifly explaining that its an urgent matter. 

Any one here who did not get a reply and ended up having a FR? 

Timeline

I don’t think you did anything wrong. I have no clue what’s going on. Almost all the cases being approved are the “No objection” Waivers. Hardship waiver I think is down the pecking order. It’s really sad. 

3 hours ago, Mickey344 said:

I don’t think you did anything wrong. I have no clue what’s going on. Almost all the cases being approved are the “No objection” Waivers. Hardship waiver I think is down the pecking order. It’s really sad. 

Dose anyone know about last year's waiver stats and how many hardship vs other waiver cases were processes? 

Edited by Waiver 2021

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Waiver 2021 said:

Dose anyone know about last year's waiver stats and how many hardship vs other waiver cases were processes? 

Nope. The most recent waiver statistics available is for year 2021 on the website. Nothing for fiscal year 2022 and fiscal year 2023 is almost coming to a close. 

11 minutes ago, Mickey344 said:

Nope. The most recent waiver statistics available is for year 2021 on the website. Nothing for fiscal year 2022 and fiscal year 2023 is almost coming to a close. 

They probably haven’t posted the statistics for hardship last year because it is shocking: a dramatic increase in the rate of rejections, even after 2 + years wait time at DOS. Depressing 

3 minutes ago, TonyW said:

72 weeks/504 days/16 months

I am back in my home country and will fulfill 2 years next month, so I don't know what is the point of this ridiculous waiting.

PS. The sponsor sent their recommendation, and 30 days later DoS finally Received it.

image.png.01512b900eef6d0afe1f3d4dcd396a9c.png

Congratulations! Is the 72 weeks wait at the DOS alone or in total DOS + USCIS? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.