Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,976 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2023 at 7:31 AM, metehan said:

My O1 got denied last month. I am re-filing it now.

@metehanHad you gotten RFE? which seviice center was you case at?  I have gotten RFEwhat speciality are you? I am Pathologist with 2 fellowships. I do not have very great research, have many posters and abstracts but few real articles. They have sent an RFEobjecting on everything. Even the contract and salary. 

5 hours ago, Hanijani said:

@metehanHad you gotten RFE? which seviice center was you case at?  I have gotten RFEwhat speciality are you? I am Pathologist with 2 fellowships. I do not have very great research, have many posters and abstracts but few real articles. They have sent an RFEobjecting on everything. Even the contract and salary. 

What does objecting to contract and salary even mean? They are claiming it's not a real job? So ridiculous 

12 hours ago, Hanijani said:

For example these highlighted areas. The contract is detailed but they still objected.

also that I am J1, cannot go on O1. 
The italic font paras are attorneys notes.

E6495D03-90DF-4E9F-9804-4696BC075803.jpeg

B2DD47A0-4247-4B2E-A45E-5EC684C99694.jpeg

you can't change your status from J-1 to O-1 from inside the country. Once USCIS approved your O-1, you should leave the United States and go get an O-1 visa stamp from U.S. embassy

1 hour ago, ErinK said:

you can't change your status from J-1 to O-1 from inside the country. Once USCIS approved your O-1, you should leave the United States and go get an O-1 visa stamp from U.S. embassy

I know that and  i was planning to go to another country. But this doesnt say that. 

It says as if j1 can not switch to O 1 because of the home residence requirement. Which the lawyer has said is not the law. 

11 hours ago, Hanijani said:

I know that and  i was planning to go to another country. But this doesnt say that. 

It says as if j1 can not switch to O 1 because of the home residence requirement. Which the lawyer has said is not the law. 

I believe the RFE is asking if you are requesting a "change of status," which is not possible. By definition, a change of status happens inside the United States and is processed by USCIS. And as you know change of status from J-1 to O-1 is not possible. This does not mean that you cannot do consular processing.

Did your lawyer mention "change of status" in your cover letter or O-1 application? Perhaps USCIS is misunderstanding. They are probably confused because you are physically present in the United States. You have to explain to them like they are 5!

I would put it in large, bold font in the cover letter you send with your RFE that you are not planning to do a change of status and are planning to do consular processing.

Something like this: 

I am writing to respond to the Request for Evidence (RFE) that I received on [date]. I understand that USCIS is concerned that I am requesting a change of status to O-1. I would like to clarify that I am not requesting a change of status and that I am planning to do consular processing. I am planning to leave the United States and go to the U.S embassy in [town] and apply for a visa. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.